QM2 entertainment & Films

elaine61

What is the entertainment and films like on the QM2?? For instance on a voyage departing from Southampton is it UK artist's and for instance from New York is it US artist's???? Also the films they show (is there a dedicated cinema on QM2?) are they fairly new films???? Also are they shown during the daytime or in the evening???

Elaine

We thought all of the entertainment was good! Both UK and American entertainers. Movies were shown at 3:00pm and 8:00pm, usually in the theater that has the planetarium dome. We never went to a movie - too much other stuff to check out! The lecturers and RADA were very good,too. I don't think you will be bored!

Every time I cross I say I will see the film everyday. Usually I only have time for one in the entire crossing. The films tend to be slightly behind the cinemas in the UK but still quite up to date. There is a different film each day. They tend to be the kind of film that appeals to wide audiance. They use proper cinema projection not video or dvd so the quality is very good.

Best wishes, Stephen.

The timings of the films don't sound too good. We are confirmed as 2nd sitting dinner, so if the films start at 8pm we wouldn't be able to see them. Do they have a later showing for the 2nd sitting passengers??

Last time I was did a transatlantic on the QE2 (it was some time ago), they had an act called Iris Williams who was rather like Shirley Bassey (Iris is Welsh too)!! In her time she was fairly good in the variety performance type of entertainment. Just wondered if any of the artist's are fairly well known in the UK. On P & O you tend to get the likes of Paul Daniels, Tom O'Connor, Roy Walker, Bobby Crush!!!!!!! Are we talking same kind of thing on QM2????

I know on her maiden cruise Ruben Studdard was one of the entertainers. Now I know that a lot of US guys don't particularly like Ruben Studdard (have seen him criticised on previous messages back last year when he was on board), but hubby and I actually quite like his kind of singing (hubby is a big Barry White fan and will in the circumstances probably never forgive me for not letting him go to see him in concert up in Scotland a day before our Xmas cruise)!!!!!!

Elaine

Yes, the films are shown twice in the evening, 8.30 and 10.30.

David.

Thanks David. I know hubby sometimes likes to watch the films on offer!! He won't have to miss his dinner (not that he would anyway)!!!!!

Can anyone give me more info on the shows and acts???

Elaine

Oh, Elaine, you're going to open a huge can of worms here! :)

If you have found folk like to take pot- shots at the ship at the least provocation, wait until you get them started on the entertainment!

Actually, it is no better nor any worse than any ship at sea............sometimes featured acts, sometimes names, sometimes RADA, sometimes the on-board dance troupe. The nay-sayers sitting in the back scoff it all is of the "kick-step, kick-step, turn, turn, back, "damn I just fell down'" variety, but it IS the QM2 and it IS fun! Films are recent and of mass appeal. From your posts I feel you"ll have great fun on your trips, seeing everything, being kind, and enjoying all.

Ab Ovo:)

Oh, Elaine, you're going to open a huge can of worms here! :)

If you have found folk like to take pot- shots at the ship at the least provocation, wait until you get them started on the entertainment!

Actually, it is no better nor any worse than any ship at sea............sometimes featured acts, sometimes names, sometimes RADA, sometimes the on-board dance troupe. The nay-sayers sitting in the back scoff it all is of the "kick-step, kick-step, turn, turn, back, "damn I just fell down'" variety, but it IS the QM2 and it IS fun! Films are recent and of mass appeal. From your posts I feel you"ll have great fun on your trips, seeing everything, being kind, and enjoying all.

Ab Ovo:)

Ab Ovo

Is that why I'm not getting much response???

To be honest we have cruised now for approx 15 years with P & O. When it comes to the entertainment sometimes it can be good and other times it can be dire!!!!!! We always say that if we went for the entertainment then we would have to look elsewhere. The entertainment is not the b all and end all of our holiday. Looks like I will be neither amazed or disappointed!! Guess it's pretty much like P & O's entertainment. I think they all use the same agency!!!!!!

Good to hear that the films are recent.

Any info on G32??? I guess that this area will be the same as P & O and we will probably be the only guys in there!!!!!;)

Hey, the weather here in the UK is crap at the moment. The only thing keeping me going is my trip!! Can't come quick enough. Only another 8 weeks to wait and they will go pretty quickly.

I'm now taking shelter with my tin hat and heading for my bunker!!!!!! :)

Elaine

Elaine, take your dancing shoes. The G32 can rock! Some voyages, a packed house, others, well, it gives you a chance to look at the place and see how well it is done. Often it is easy to forget you are on a ship and not in some hot place in some hot city.

I've enjoyed reading your posts, your run-up to your trip. I had to laugh at your saying to Grace, I think it was, you and hubby were in one cabin and the kids were "in steerage." On the QE2 I love so much -- only because she is the only game in town for me, pre QM2 days -- I go Princess Grill when I can sell a cow, and "Trash Class" when I just want to get on and be at sea. Lovingly: Trash Class.

You know, you do the math......if you've time, go on once for $5 or five times for $1? It isn't a contest. I push newbies into your steerage or my Trash Class; they usually love it.

Of course, flush with cow funds, on QE2,the small and red grill does it for me; I even love the lard statues, I calls 'em!

On QM2, that at-least $4,000 cabin increase to leave Britannia and get into a one-seating room..........and, worse, $8,000 for into a room with gold lamps............just isn't what I call good value, but the cabins ARE larger. For me, the two grills are nice, but just that. But the Britannia, THAT looks like a grand room on a ship at sea.

You're getting short! In the US Army, the run-up to discharge is the time of "getting short." Just think, eight weeks or so and you'll be setting out. Good On You!

Next for me is the 03 January QE2 westbound transatlantic, after several weeks in London with my QM2 Maiden voyage table. Then have booked the NYC-NYC July and September short QM2 cruises because they're here and I'm here and they're easy to get on.

Reading of your run-up, 'tho, I'm antsy to sell a cow and book something and get on sooner!

Enjoying your posts,

Ab Ovo

Thanks for your message!!!

Watched Titanic the other night on TV here in the UK (not for the first time either!! First time was whilst we were at sea on a cruise!!). That's where I got the steerage bit from!! Our kids have grown up cruising and are used to the inside cabin. I'd rather take them on holiday with us (escpecially this trip as it is hopefully going to be so memorable) than use their fare so that I can lord it in a suite!! Those B4 balcony cabins look very similar to the equivalant that we have on Aurora. It will do nicely!! Hope I can get 24 days clothing in the wardrobes!! All those different outfits, shoes (not bags, don't really go a whole bunch on bags)!! My daughter is worse than me!!!!!! We have been known to take 14 pieces of luggage (in 2 cars) down to Southampton. That does not include our hand luggage. But it does normally include hubbies golf clubs (gggrrrrrr)!!!!!! Suppose he will be taking them again in Sept, not that I can think of anywhere for him to play except in the simulator!!

Sorry i'm making you pine for a trip whilst reading all my messages. Still it seems that you have plenty booked (as we have too, as it's the only thing that keeps me going between trips!!). Booked up until Xmas 2006 now but on P & O not Cunard!!

Elaine

Can anyone give me more info on the shows and acts??? Elaine

Elaine,

Just dug out my Daily Programmes from my late April/Early May crossing, to give you some idea (of course opinions subjective & personal!):

Royal Court Theatre

Day 1: Welcome Aboard show - ok ish - bit Hidi Hi!

Day 2: Rock @ The Opera - Great Fun

Day 3: Claire Gobin, Violinist - very good

Day 4: Jacqui Scott: Vocalist - very good

Day 5: 'Appasionata': Dance 'extravaganza'

Day 6: Whole Company: Abba show - good fun

The artistes may well change between your trips, but Days 1, 2, 5 & 6 will probably be repeated each leg.

There is also live music in each of the bars/lounges and a harpist in the Chart Room.

Movies were (UK Release date):

Finding Neverland (Nov 04)

Bridget Jones, Edge of Reason (Nov 04)

The Manchurian Candidate (Nov 04)

National Treasure (Dec 04)

Ray (Jan 05)

So expect films that are 4 - 6 months old. There is also lots on the in-cabin TV - and don't miss the Planetarium - great fun - get tickets in the morning in Connexions.

Have a great trip!

Peter

The smallest nuggets sure do help. Like "get your planetarium tickets in the morning at Connexions." I would not have known to do so.

We have been on only one mass cruise previously and one night was a talent show of sorts, no prizes, just a show. It was marvelous; one elderly woman who sang "Sunrise, Sunset" brought a lot of folks to tears. On a riverboat cruise (Budapest/Amsterdam) the passengers organized talks in addition to the rather boring lecturer and listening to others' professional experiences (especially wartime) became the highlight of ship time. I can imagine that the same would be true of QM2 passengers -- I was sort of hoping for something like either one.

The item that I'm assuming (praying for) is dance lessons? Each day, hopefully? Of the fox trot variety, maybe?

Six days . . . yikes!

Morning Peter

Has the weather improved on the channel islands today (just assume your from Guernsey because of your user name!)??

I think it's moved North and we have the dreadful weather again today!!!!

Many thanks Peter for searching out your daily programmes from back in Apr/May. It is most appreciated.

Well most of the films are on pay per view on Sky!! Still we'll see what they are when we get on board.

It's interesting to see that they have an Abba show. They have this also on P & O ships. I wonder if they use the same theatre company???? On P & O they also have done in the past a Queen show. It was very good (some of the troupes were better at it than others, and recently they have all been very good). Even though people used to complain and sigh about the Queen show being on, I actually miss it now!!

We are going to have a wonderful time. Life's too short not to. 7 weeks and 6 days now!!!!!!!!

Elaine

Archived