Will my Kindle work?

elainmir

I know this is going to seem silly but I don't want to lug a big ole laptop with me on my trip..just want to email the kiddies back home. Can I use my kindle in port? Has anyone used theirs? Thanks for helping the not so tech savvy! :)

If you find a place with free wi-fi, or paid if you really want to e-mail, your Kindle will work. I always carry mine, since it's small and fairly light. I hate paying for wi-fi, so I usually ask a crew member where free wi-fi is at each port. Trust me, they know.

I've been carrying a tablet for a few years now... certainly much lighter than a laptop. Free WiFi can be found at a McDonalds and Dunkin Donuts. We've used the McDonalds in Nassau a few times. There is also one right down the street in St Thomas.

Steve

I know this is going to seem silly but I don't want to lug a big ole laptop with me on my trip..just want to email the kiddies back home. Can I use my kindle in port? Has anyone used theirs? Thanks for helping the not so tech savvy! :)

If you has a kindle e-reader with whispernet 3G then you will be able to download and sync books in port with no charge. If you have a amazon tablet (Kindle Fire) I'm not sure about int'l 3G.

If you find a place with free wi-fi, or paid if you really want to e-mail, your Kindle will work. I always carry mine, since it's small and fairly light. I hate paying for wi-fi, so I usually ask a crew member where free wi-fi is at each port. Trust me, they know.

Agree Just follow the crew member with a lap top or such, some even just take their phones & they all know where the free Wi-Fi is in every port.

I have a Nook Tablet and I always take it on my cruises. You can get WiFi in the ports at a lot of places. Just ask someone where there is internet service. I have gotten it at a Starbucks in Cozumel for the price of a coffee. I have also paid a couple of dollars for a couple of hours of time. I also use my Nook to hold my magazines and books for the trip. You can download books from your local library any time you have an internet connection and then read them later on the ship. I think the Nook and the Kindle are pretty much the same so you should be fine!

If you have an older Kindle with the keypad then you can access e-mail, facebook, internet, etc. for free from any port or even when you're close to land. It even works in Europe. It's not pretty but good for a quick look. I guess that's one reason I'll never get rid of mine.

I love my "old kindle" and have utilised the free 3g from all over the world to access my emails and briefly browse the net. Only works when close to shore or onshore though. Came into its own when I was stranded in Canada because of the ash cloud and need updates from home!

I've been carrying a tablet for a few years now... certainly much lighter than a laptop. Free WiFi can be found at a McDonalds and Dunkin Donuts. We've used the McDonalds in Nassau a few times. There is also one right down the street in St Thomas.

Steve

starbucks offers free wi-fi too!! (at least the ones we saw in st. thomas and san juan did... i think that's company wide. when we were in nassau a few years back the starbucks by the port also had free wi-fi). some hotels might also have it too, or you can hang out in the lobby, look like you belong and then ask the front desk for the passcode.

My DH has the old Kindle with the 3G or 4G, not sure, but anyways he always emails from all over the world. He gets up every morning and goes on deck for coffee and to sign on to check the news. Mine is a newer model and doesn't work as good as his does but I still can sign on to facebook once in a while.

mine is a kindle fire...the first one they came out with...I wonder if I should take my sons new one..it's the latest version...which do you think would be better?? I'm trying so hard not to take a bunch of stuff ..I've had three hernia surgeries so I don't want to have to lug anything I don't have to! Thanks for all the help guys!

I traveled with my paperwhite with 3g in May and there was a document delivered to my Kindle pretty much as soon as it was under the ships signal rather than US, and it alerted me to the policy for international usage and what specific things cost extra. I would imagine that there's no kindle fees if you are using it on wi-fi, because I am sure the fee is for data usage on the international 3g networks. If you have 3G on it, I can always pull up the document that popped up on my Kindle and let you know what it says.

~Katy