Carnival Magic Trip Report March 2-9 with photos

Naomi John

This is a first for us, we were right above the gangway. We watched the workers pull it out and set it up.

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

I was not sure of the purpose of the EZ up tent. It wasn't very EZ up for these guys.

IMG_0422.jpg

How many crew members does it take to put up a canopy?

IMG_0423.jpg

I counted 7.

This shot you took on the magic. Is this glass barrier around the whole

boat so that you can't lean on the rail and watch the sea go by?????

I've only been on the Triumph where you can lean on the rail and feel

the sea breeze in you face. This doesn't seem to be the top lido deck

so maybe it just looks that way. Leaning on the rail and watching the

sea go by is one of the things I enjoy the most.

Please don't tell me you can't on the magic?:confused:

IMG_0633.jpg

Edited by jtwanabe

We had no plans for this port. DH thought about brining DD on the four wheelers, but you had to be 16. I wanted to get out of port and go to the hip strip, but was unsure about cabs and buses. At the moment we watched several people debark, and get hustled into photo opts:

The woman in the middle of both gangways, with the hat on, would basically block people getting off to pose for a photo opt. The "Jamaican Man", (in a green shirt left of the woman, elbow up), would put his hand out for a shake and then drag people into a picture.

IMG_0426.jpg

Did not understand the canopy with the seating right off the gangway, it was just decorative.

f6c48846-afcd-48f5-97fb-4a26b22daead.jpg

Those dolphin shots are amazing.....convinces me that I need to do a cove balcony at least once;) Thank you for sharing

Thank you. I really loved the cove balcony. Although it was on deck two, we never felt we were far away from anything. Those glass elevators go from deck 2 up to deck 12, never a long wait for them. We only rode in the glass elevators.

With the added bonus of the Lanai, (deck5), you never really needed to go to the lido, unless you really wanted too.

DD started to get antsy. She wanted to get off the ship, check out the shops in port, etc. DH was still adamant about not going anywhere. DD and I decided to just check out the port. Around 10:30 AM, we exited the ship, and managed to avoid the photogs. Though, the Jamaican man really tried. I would not extend my hand and turned to the right very quickly.

Once inside the terminal, there was not much. A couple shops, a little bar and Jerk meat stand.

While walking around, I noted a "hop on hop off bus". I went and asked. It was $19 pp, they charged your SS account. Had five different stops along the island, and ran until 4 PM. The stops were : The Shops at Rose Hall, Doctor's Cave Beach, Margaritaville, Old Fort Craft Market, and Harbor Street Craft Market. All the places I wanted to go, and in a AC bus.

This is a map of the stops:

C006.jpg

DD and I went back to DH and advised we were going to go on this. He decided to come along. I don't think they charged full price for DD as our account was only charged $46. I guess it was $19 per adult and $8 for child. Please note, my DD is 12, but on the shorter size. It maybe $8 for under 12, IDK. We got our wrist bands and hopped on the bus.

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

The Shoppes at Rose Hall was like a typical strip mall area. I was not impressed. We walked through, found the bus and Hopped on.

The Next stop was Doctors Cave Beach. $6 pp, adult, $3 for child under 12. Beach chairs and umbrellas were extra. Mix drinks were $8 each. We just placed our towels down at a fairly clear spot and went in the water. The clouds were all around and we got a sprinkle or two, but nothing bad. The mountains were getting most of the rain. I was not very impressed with this beach. Very crowded, and over priced. We stayed about an hour. Here are some photos of the beach and the ship in the back ground. I did enjoy the airport was close by and took pictures of planes landing.

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

Raining on the Ship:

IMG_0458.jpg

Lucky to get the dolphin pictures. I have never seen a dolphin from a cruise ship. My husband did but they were gone by the time I got there.

Did the hop on hop off stop at Rosehall mansion or just the mall?

This shot you took on the magic. Is this glass barrier around the whole

boat so that you can't lean on the rail and watch the sea go by?????

I've only been on the Triumph where you can lean on the rail and feel

the sea breeze in you face. This doesn't seem to be the top lido deck

so maybe it just looks that way. Leaning on the rail and watching the

sea go by is one of the things I enjoy the most.

Please don't tell me you can't on the magic?:confused:

IMG_0633.jpg

This is on Deck 5, the Lanai. The glass is only on the sides, port and starboard; aft and fwd, no glass. Lido did have glass as well, you don't want your food blown away, but deck 11 there was only a rail. The Lanai had food stations, hot tubs, various events and games, so a wind barrier was needed on the sides. you can still go to the front of the ship and feel the breeze.

Lucky to get the dolphin pictures. I have never seen a dolphin from a cruise ship. My husband did but they were gone by the time I got there.

Did the hop on hop off stop at Rosehall mansion or just the mall?

Just the shops.

This is on Deck 5, the Lanai. The glass is only on the sides, port and starboard; aft and fwd, no glass. Lido did have glass as well, you don't want your food blown away, but deck 11 there was only a rail. The Lanai had food stations, hot tubs, various events and games, so a wind barrier was needed on the sides. you can still go to the front of the ship and feel the breeze.

Thanks for the info. I usually cruise the smaller Triumph on a 5 day but decided to try the larger Magic 7day. I guess this is one of those "differences". It will be interesting to sail on Magic and see what it's like.

On the Triumph ( being a smaller ship) you could do the rail thing and then take one flight of stairs and you were in the dining and pol area.

First world problems I guess.

Thanks,

JT