Dublin Ireland Cancelled Constellation 7/04 ? Why ?

2aussies

We've been notified that Dublin has been removed from the itinerary of the 9/7/04 Constellation transatlantic as well. No news of substitution at this point.

Joe

Constellation Transatlantic 09-07-2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ffd700&cdt=2004;09;07;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000

the cruise is the 14 day Celebrity Constellation from Dover to Dover. we already paid for the excursions, and they are sending a credit fior the Dublin one. i ws just wondering if anyone knew why Celebrity dropped Dublin in Summer '04 ?

Some cruisers on the RCCI"s 7/27 Jewel of the Seas have been notified that she will not sail into Dublin but to Belfast instead. No reason given. Money for excursion will be refunded.

Mary Lou

We were on the 2003 Connie British Isles and fjords. Dublin has a small opening into the harbor through a breakwall.If there is any wind it is too risky to get a ship that size in. We did not get to Dublin because of high winds. We heard that they did not get in in 2002, the 1st year of this itinerary. They probably changed because of this problem. You will love the cruise it was fantastic.

Don't forget to get up about 4:30 AM as you sail into the fjords. It is a breathtaking experience and well worth the lost few hours of sleep you might have.

Enjoy the cruise...it is wonderful.

Pat and Tom (our adventure this year is the Millenium Mediterrean cruise July 8, 2004)

I called Celebrity and the CS rep didn't know about it. However, I asked her to check the shore excursions desk and she returned with confirmation that Dublin is dropped even though there has not been distribution of a notice to them.

Jerry

Jewel of the Seas 7/05

Brilliance 1/05

Constellation 9/04

Radiance 1/04

Constellation 9/03

Golden Princess 1/03

Radiance 4/02

Explorer of the Seas 12/01

Voyager of the Seas 2/01

Monarch of the Seas 8/00

Splendour of the Seas 12/99

NCL Sea 8/96

A bunch others

we did the Millenium Mediterrean cruise in 02 and loved it, in fact that is why we are doing this X constellation one this year. enjoy !

Go Buck ! (I'm from Columbus and a Buckeye, live in Detroit area now).

It looks like the Connie will be going to Belfast also. Below is a link to the port page.

Belfast Port schedule

Mike

See our reviews and pictures at Mike and Carol's Website

Costa Classica 3/94

Celebrity Mercury 4/98

Carnival Destiny 4/99

Crown Princess 7/01

Norwegian Star 11/01

Grand Princess 12/01

Sun Princess 3/02

Celebrity Constellation 11/02

Brilliance of the Seas 6/03

Navigator of the Seas 11/03

Jewel of the Seas 06/04

Tahitian Princess 02/05

We are on Connie's Transatlantic sail of 9/7. Word is out to family in Cork & Dublin & a major meeting of Morans is in the making. Now I get an email from David at Cruise Tender telling me it is axed. A family reunion cancelled? I eve have a friend from England who make air/hotel for Dublin & cannot cancel or rebook. Now he is solo there unless he finds our family to party with.

Going to Belfast with all the fighting up there??? I vote for Scotland.......

Then I get an email from a cruising friend:

Hi Brenda!

My husband and I are booked on the same cruise. We received a notice about

this via email last week because we had booked an excursion and they refunded us. I had called on Friday and again on Monday b/c Celebrity was unaware of the new port if any. I called RCCL on Monday and they did not

explain the reasoning for no longer porting in Dublin but did say to check back with them later and a new port should be announced. Worst case scenario, we will know 30 days prior. I don't know where else we would go,

perhaps Scotland (I have heard from Cruisemates).

This is a big bummer,

especially since you are meeting family. A good part

of my heritage is

there also and I am excited to see it. If I hear

anything, I will keep you

posted.

Thanks,

Holly

My logo: When we disembark, I just have to book another!

The schedule is out for the Jewel of the Seas and it is listed as a tender stop. Since Connie is the same size as the Jewel, I would presume that you will also get to tender.

Brenda,

That is horrible to have to cancel a family reunion. I understand that you can catch a train to Dublin from Belfast and that it is a 2 hour ride. Maybe it would be a possibility

Mike

Costa Classica 3/94

Celebrity Mercury 4/98

Carnival Destiny 4/99

Crown Princess 7/01

Norwegian Star 11/01

Grand Princess 12/01

Sun Princess 3/02

Jewel of the Seas 06/04

Tahitian Princess 02/05

My Irish husband is SPITTING MAD at the idea of going to N Ireland. I know of all the news footage of the jerks blowing up each other in London & Belfast, we were almost in one last visit to London in '93. I hung up the big red phonebooth phone, ealked across the street to my relatives & it blew up!

Many would prefer Scotland instead.

My logo: When we disembark, I just have to book another!

I feel a little better that I am not the only one upset over this. My finace really wanted to cruise again for our honeymoon. I wanted to go to Ireland with a few days in Dublin. We compromised and booked this cruise. Not that I don't love cruising with Celebrity, but I had my heart set on Ireland. Had we gone to Ireland for 2 weeks instead, we had no intention to even go to Belfast. Sigh... I not so worried about getting blown up, but I live in New York City. We live with the threat of terrorism every day. I am so sorry to hear about your reunion.

Kelly

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ghlinger:

http://www.cruise-belfast.co.uk/INC_VISITS.CFM gives the landings vs tendering. It would appear that ALL the X ships are to long to dock. The longest ship I can find that docks is the Grand Princess (932'). The Connie is 964.3'.

Jerry<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jerry,

According to the Port of Belfast site http://www.belfast-harbour.co.uk/commercial-cruise.htm Stormont Wharf (where the larger cruise ships dock) can handle a ship up to 457 meters (1499 feet) with a max draft of 10.2 meters (33.46 feet). Constellation would certainly fit...

I wonder if that since this is all so recent, that the wharf hasn't been associated yet? Then again it could mean tendering too.

Joe

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ffd700&cdt=2004;09;07;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000

Jerry, did you get the info from the ************ newsletter that says our trip, 7/17 is going to Belfast? I thought you said they told you it wasn't? Don't know if I really care but would like to know what we are doing and about the tours available.

Celebrity's web site shows updated itineraries for both the 7/17 and 9/7 sailings of Constellation to show calls at Belfast rather than Dublin. Both cruises have port hours from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

No shore excursions are currently posted for Belfast, but there is a note that they are working on them.

I e-mailed the Port of Belfast to ask whether the Constellation will be docked or whether it will be a tendered port. I'll post when I hear back.

Joe

We have friends on the Connie T/A cruise and I'm sure they are disappointed Dublin is no longer on the itinerary. Ironically, we will also be in Ireland from Sept. 5 through the 9th, so the dates didn't look like we would be able to meet. For those of you who were planning on meeting friends and/or family in Dublin, my suggestion is to change the meet and greet to Cobh (the port for Cork) where I also believe the ship is docking one day. Ireland is a relatively small country, and Cork is about a 3 hour train ride (or 30 minute plane ride) from Dublin (cheap fares on Ryanair), and only 2 hours from Shannon by train.

-

If there are any golfers out there, I don't know if Celebrity will put together a golfing excursion in Belfast, but you should arrange for your own as some of the greatest golf courses in the UK are in and around Belfast. My English friends say the situation in No Ire is much improved and it should be quite safe.

-

Jeff

susan and/or jeff

RCCL has just put out some of their excursions for Belfast and it includes one to Dublin. I am sure Connie will have a similar one which could solve the problem.

Mike

Costa Classica 3/94

Celebrity Mercury 4/98

Carnival Destiny 4/99

Crown Princess 7/01

Norwegian Star 11/01

Grand Princess 12/01

Sun Princess 3/02