Anyone cruise on Thanksgiving?

SO excited that Thanksgiving 2014 we'll be on the Liberty! Can you tell me what/if they do anything special? What the thanksgiving meal is like? Ours will be night 1.. if you sailed during Thanksgiving, tell me about it!!

Oh and will the ship be decorated for Christmas yet? ;)

Edited by CamaCama

We sailed on Liberty during Thanksgiving 2012. One of the MDR entrees was a traditional turkey dinner. They also started putting up decorations for Christmas the next day.

Thanksgiving in St Lucia a few years back. Like the previous poster said, they had a traditional turkey dinner in the MDR. I wonder if the specialty restaurants would have something special too??

I don't recall them putting up holiday decorations though.

It's a great time (for me) to go. We get both Thursday and Friday off of work, so would only need to take 3 vacation days. I would do it more, but we do the family thing now.

We cruise on Thanksgiving pretty much every year (4-5 in a row now).

MDR as stated does a Thanksgiving menu and Windjammer usually mirrors it with Turkey and all the fixings.

Christmas decorations seem to go up overnight on Thanksgiving day so the day after Thanksgiving the ship is ready for Christmas.

Edited by jticarruthers

We did a Thanksgiving cruise last year on the Allure and we had over 1500 kids onboard. Hopefully not quite as bad this year as we will be on the Adventure of the Seas over Thanksgiving.

As most others have said, yes they have a traditional turkey dinner in the MDR on Thanksgiving.

We cruised during Thanksgiving last year on Freedom. Christmas decorations were up when we got on the ship even though Thankgiving wasn't until the second half of the cruise. There was a Turkey dinner & they did switch formal night around so it landed on Turkey day.

Sailed thanksgiving on Mariner out of Galveston, very nice thanksgiving dinner, turkey with the fixins - christmas decorations as stated started going up the next day - and a very nice scroll like menu that we asked if we could keep. We were told yes, but the waitress would save it for us because they needed them for the next dinner seating, and she did. You will love it. This year we are doing the panama canal over thanksgiving on Legend OTS, don't know if we will have the same experience, we will see. All is good, I will be cruising. :D

I have cruised twice on Thanksgiving but not on Royal. We LOVED it! Instead of cooking all day we spent the day in port then men in Tux's served us Turkey and we walked away from all the dishes and went to a show.

SO excited that Thanksgiving 2014 we'll be on the Liberty! Can you tell me what/if they do anything special? What the thanksgiving meal is like? Ours will be night 1.. if you sailed during Thanksgiving, tell me about it!!

Oh and will the ship be decorated for Christmas yet? ;)

we will be on this ship as well, cannot wait!

We spent Thanksgiving 2011 on Jewel of the Seas. Fantastic! They did serve the traditional Tgiving dinner with other options for those who wanted them. I heard some people complaining that it didn't taste like their home cooked holiday meal, but, frankly if i wanted that I would have stayed home and cooked! I thought it was delicious! Everyone got a really nice card from the captain wishing them a happy Thanksgiving. Each deck had a nice table set up with a cornucopia, indian corn, etc... The best part was when we woke up the next morning, "elves" had been at work all night decorating for Christmas. :D The tree in the centrum made a beautiful backdrop for family photos. We will be sailing on the Freedom this year the weekend after Thanksgiving and I am looking forward to the Christmas music and decorations. :)

Oh I am even more excited now! My daughters (who will be 5 and 1.5 in Nov) will LOVE the xmas decorations!! :D:D

If you have the room in your luggage, you should bring some decorations for your cabin door and those window clingy things for your window. I noticed a lot of people did that and wish i had thought of it! Plus, when you are at port, the girls can look for their cabin window decorations. :)

If you have the room in your luggage, you should bring some decorations for your cabin door and those window clingy things for your window. I noticed a lot of people did that and wish i had thought of it! Plus, when you are at port, the girls can look for their cabin window decorations. :)

We have an interior promenade room (ben & jerry's sweet!) but window clings are a cute idea!

Every year for the past 6 to 8 we have cruised at Thanksgiving. (I've lost track.) Sometimes only my wife and I and other times with my wife's sister and husband or one of our kids and their family. Thanksgiving dinner is great! It's not the normal last evening of the cruise turkey dinner but a great turkey dinner like you would make at home. HINT: The ham dinner served that day is also very good. We always ask for an extra meal to share so that we can share the ham.

Normally the Christmas decorations start going up the day after Thanksgiving and holiday music starts then. It's a wonderful time to cruise.

DD, DH and I tend to cruise over American Tgiving week. We have done HI cruises, but mostly Mediterranean. We've done at least eight cruises over Thanksgiving.

On European cruises they do not do too much for Thanksgiving day, but it will nearly always be formal night and the menu will be changed to have a traditional turkey dinner. Some of the dishes will not be like mom used to make (in my case a particularly good thing since mom was an awful cook!) -- but all very good. There might be a pumpkin mouse, rather than pumpkin pie; or a corn souffle rather than canned corne.

Sometimes the Christmas decor starts going up the next day, other times it may wait until between the Tgiving cruise and the next cruise.

The shops on-board may do special "black Friday" type sales.

Was on Liberty this past Thanksgiving. It was wonderful. Here's a couple of pics of the traditional TG dinner and pumpkin pie.

If you want a human sized pumpkin pie I suggest going to the windjammer otherwise you can order 12 of the MDR pies. lol

download_zps19ba2ea9.jpg

download1_zps954d6b4a.jpg

Our family did a cruise over Thanksgiving a number of years ago. I don't remember which ship we were on. On the menu was the typical turkey and all the fixings which we ordered. The turkey was "hand carved". Most of the Americans on that cruise had also ordered the turkey. Evidently hand carving is a slow, tedious process. It. Took. Forever. We were in a back corner of the dining room and were among the last to get our meal. As tables were served, spontaneous applause would break out! Those poor waiters were frantic! We still joke about it. Our most memorable Thanksgiving meal ever!!

Forgot to mention, people got tired waiting and someone got a stadium "wave" going around the dining room. So much for decorum!:eek:

Edited by dzmom