What to wear?

kittymom

Do you mind sharing your recommendations on a waterproof jacket with hood?

LLBean and Eddie Bauer both have very nice lightweight waterproof jackets. I had an older one (10+ years?) but it was much heavier than the newer ones I got my daughters, so I replaced mine too.

Looks like Eddie Bauer has a sale on now:

http://www.eddiebauer.com/EB/Women/Outerwear-Jackets--Blazers/Water-Resistant-Outerwear--Jackets/index.cat

LLBean:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/504728?page=womens-jackets-coats&nav=gnro-28#/llb/shop/506593?nav=ln-504728&page=rain-jackets

I got our lightweight fleece from Land's End and LLBean and Kohls :)

This is a great thread and very helpful. We are doing roundtrip Alaska inside passage with Glacier Bay in mid June. I get the layering idea for shirts/coats, but what about pants? What does everyone wear, jeans? athletic pants? I'm sure it depends on the weather forecast and excursions planned. But, just looking for a general idea. We are looking at doing some hiking, a helicopter tour on a glacier, and maybe some whale watching or fishing.

This might sound simplistic, but for those worrying about jeans in the MDR, I suggest investing in a pair of BLACK jeans. They're virtually indistinguishable from normal black pants. We did that wayyyy back when (1999) on our Celebrity cruise to Alaska and were never turned away on the non-formal nights.

For the ladies that dislike jeans, get a pair of black, heavier ponte knit type pants...a google search shows some done in a "jeans" style. You can never go wrong with basic black. Or go with a heavier twill pant in whatever colors you choose.

I also agree with the Lands' End/LLBean type midweight waterproof jackets and layering - hoods are a plus, as you don't have to carry an umbrella. I forgot gloves and bought some onboard.

And remember you just might HAVE to buy some sweaters/sweatshirts as souvenirs. :D

Edited by Hyedee

I just wanted to report that we tested out our layered fleece and waterproof jackets (and waterproof hiking boots) today. It was 38° and raining, then dropped to 36° with big wet snowflakes during our walk today - we were comfortable at that temperature with the layered jackets.:D Not as warm as with winter jackets - but comfortable, especially since we were walking.

I just wanted to report that we tested out our layered fleece and waterproof jackets (and waterproof hiking boots) today. It was 38° and raining, then dropped to 36° with big wet snowflakes during our walk today - we were comfortable at that temperature with the layered jackets.:D Not as warm as with winter jackets - but comfortable, especially since we were walking.

LOL...I'm in Minnesota too and did the same thing today! I had to deliver Meals on Wheels so I cut the tags off my waterproof hiking shoes and waterproof jacket and off I went into the rain/sleet/snow. The jacket definitely won't be very warm by itself, but with my fleece jacket I think I will be set. So glad we live in the state of Minnesota where we can test out these things ahead of time. :rolleyes:

What about this jacket for layering in Alaska? I'm in South Texas and rarely wear more than a windbreaker weight jacket, but with all this global warming making the last 2 winters colder than EVER, I'm thinking I need something a little heavier to wear.

http://www.crimsonhoundstooth.com/ladies/outerwear/alabama-nylon-jacket-with-houndstooth-reversable-inside.html

crimson_ht_1.jpg

not that I'm a Bama fan or anything!

First time going to Alaska. Trip is for the last week of May on NCL. I have been reading the posts but nobody mentions what you wear on the boat. I have always cruised to warm places and just wore a bathing suit during the day and dressy clothes for dinners. Should I bring jeans for the daytime? Also going to be taking some excursions and don't know what to wear for footwear. I really don't want to have to bring heavy boots if it's not necessary. Are sneakers ok?

Where are you from? I hear this comes in to play a lot in how cold you feel!

First time going to Alaska. Trip is for the last week of May on NCL. I have been reading the posts but nobody mentions what you wear on the boat. I have always cruised to warm places and just wore a bathing suit during the day and dressy clothes for dinners. Should I bring jeans for the daytime? Also going to be taking some excursions and don't know what to wear for footwear. I really don't want to have to bring heavy boots if it's not necessary. Are sneakers ok?

Where are you from? I hear this comes in to play a lot in how cold you feel!

LOL...I'm in Minnesota too and did the same thing today! I had to deliver Meals on Wheels so I cut the tags off my waterproof hiking shoes and waterproof jacket and off I went into the rain/sleet/snow. The jacket definitely won't be very warm by itself, but with my fleece jacket I think I will be set. So glad we live in the state of Minnesota where we can test out these things ahead of time. :rolleyes:

Yes, and after the winter we have had - even the coldest temps in Alaska at the end of May are NOT going to seem like winter to us:eek: