Adonia: suitable for a 19 and 20 year old?

AJ28

We are considering seven night cruises during July and are hoping to take our kids; 19 and 20. They haven't been away with us for a couple of years but have been on many cruises as children with P&O, RCI, Princess, Celebrity.

There is a cruise we like the look of on Adonia (new ports for us), an adult only ship and also a small one. I have concerns about whether my two will find the size and 'adult only' aspect limiting. Does anyone have experience of this ship and facilities of young people?

We are also considering a 7 nighter on Ventura. We know that this is a large ship with more facilities, would it be preferable. for young adults? We will have been to most of the ports previously, however.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

AJ

Edited by AJ28

I've not been on Adonia, but I'd imagine a 19 & 20 y/o would be alright on there. I guess it just depends on how much they mind being with "the older set".

People moan that Arcadia is "too old" but I've never found it an issue. I don't need to have any "youth" entertainment.

There are no facilities for young people. There are plenty of facilities, but not age-related. Is there anything particular they want to do that older adults don't do?

Having said that, they probably won't find all that many people their own age. I don't, and I'm 49.

We are going to ask them what they prefer, and explain that Adonia (or Balmoral) will probably not contain many, if any, young adults but WILL be all new ports for everyone.

This will be the first holiday together as a family for over two years so we are all very much looking forward to holidaying together, and the kids are delighted we are cruising again.

We've taken them on cruises since they were babies and they've grown up in and out of kids clubs and, particularly when teens, meeting and making good friends which they still keep in touch with. When on RCCI ships they spent time with us doing all the sporty stuff; RCCI is great for families. This will be the first time that they won't be attending kids clubs, and I am wondering how they will 'find' others their own age to spend time with.

They've both been working over the weekend so we will do a 'family' facebook chat tonight and discuss things.

Thanks to everyone who has replied, much appreciated.

I think you are right to have a chat with your children, so much depends upon what they enjoy doing and what they want to get out of the holiday. I have a 19 and 20 year old and, although we haven't done a cruise, we have been on holidays with very few children of their own age. My children are quite out-going and love talking to 'olds' (sadly that means anyone over 30!). In fact the older the better as, according to my daughter, olds are quite outrageous and don't care what they say! Children, on the other hand, they seem to have little patience for. We also find that now they are older and we are often all doing different things, they value the time we spend as a family and don't want to go off on their own. So for us, the smaller ship with new ports would be the one, but every family is different...I would advice a joint decision to cut down on any whinging later. Not that there will be any - you will all have a wonderful time and make some great memories!

We are considering seven night cruises during July and are hoping to take our kids; 19 and 20. They haven't been away with us for a couple of years but have been on many cruises as children with P&O, RCI, Princess, Celebrity.

There is a cruise we like the look of on Adonia (new ports for us), an adult only ship and also a small one. I have concerns about whether my two will find the size and 'adult only' aspect limiting. Does anyone have experience of this ship and facilities of young people?

We are also considering a 7 nighter on Ventura. We know that this is a large ship with more facilities, would it be preferable. for young adults? We will have been to most of the ports previously, however.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

AJ

Oh, my goodness, don't!!

We're just back from an Adonia cruise [Hong Kong to Hong Kong] and unless your two 'young adults' are actually twenty going on sixty and with the narrowest of outlooks, they will hate it!

We are in our sixties and have travelled with many lines, on many, many cruises and we have never come across such a ship and such attitudes - so staid and hide-bound! There's nothing much wrong with the ship - cabins, layout etc - it's the approach; just terribly, terribly old fashioned.

That's the way P&O like it, I understand, but surely it's time for a more dynamic approach. Apparently, the Adonia is supposed to be like 'an old country house'! Well yes, the decor is dark and drab, hygiene is questionable and we certainly felt as if we had moved into another era.

Lots of people were loving the cruise though, and wouldn't dream of sailing except with P&O, but if you and your children like vibrancy and just a tiny bit of light-heartedness in your holiday, don't do it. As to entertainment for them: what about the Mason's meeting, or crochet, ballroom dancing lessons or beginner's bridge, or even a play-reading with five people attending?? Their idea of fun??

Hope this helps.

H

Oh, my goodness, don't!!

We're just back from an Adonia cruise [Hong Kong to Hong Kong] and unless your two 'young adults' are actually twenty going on sixty and with the narrowest of outlooks, they will hate it!

We are in our sixties and have travelled with many lines, on many, many cruises and we have never come across such a ship and such attitudes - so staid and hide-bound! There's nothing much wrong with the ship - cabins, layout etc - it's the approach; just terribly, terribly old fashioned.

That's the way P&O like it, I understand, but surely it's time for a more dynamic approach. Apparently, the Adonia is supposed to be like 'an old country house'! Well yes, the decor is dark and drab, hygiene is questionable and we certainly felt as if we had moved into another era.

Lots of people were loving the cruise though, and wouldn't dream of sailing except with P&O, but if you and your children like vibrancy and just a tiny bit of light-heartedness in your holiday, don't do it. As to entertainment for them: what about the Mason's meeting, or crochet, ballroom dancing lessons or beginner's bridge, or even a play-reading with five people attending?? Their idea of fun??

Hope this helps.

H

I feel I have to defend Adonia a bit - I have been on it 3 times on very different cruises (Christmas in the East Med, winter week to Ireland and summer to the Baltic).

Staff are the friendliest I have known and very helpful. Food better than other P&O ships I have been on, though restricted buffet. MPW Grill very decent standard and MDR good standard. Lovely ambience. I don't agree it was dark and drab. I never saw any poor hygiene.

Agree totally that there is not a lot to do, especially during the day. Talks were of what I consider to be of interest to retired men - namely Concorde / engineering feats/ bridges etc or trying to sell you something in the spa. IMHO you have to be prepared to amuse yourself during the day reading or whatever.

I would have hated it age 20!

Now it suits me fine and I prefer it to some large ship with water slides and ice rinks etc - but we are all different

We've had a chat to the kids and explained about the age demographic on Adonia (and Balmoral, the other cruise we considered). They said that they didn't mind because the ports sound good and they wouldn't mind spending time with us oldies.;)

Adonia is probably not going to be an option because 4 berth cabins are thin on the ground, I count 7 all together. There is currently a waiting list... So we will probably go with Balmoral for the ports or Ventura for the facilities. Just waiting to see if son can get the time off work.

Thanks everyone for your advisc and experience.:)

They said that they didn't mind because the ports sound good and they wouldn't mind spending time with us oldies.;)

Well that sounds like a good outlook. Although you'll be with other (older) passengers, it is after all the family that you're traveling with and will be able to enjoy the experience together. I'd imagine it'd be trickier if you were just traveling alone or as a couple.

Who knows, you (they) might enjoy some of the older company, but if not you've still got each other to hang out with.

Edited by Monorail Orange

Update: son found out today that he couldn't take time off in July so that means just the three of us can travel, and are now considering a two week cruise instead. We are looking at a Princess cruise sailing out of Southampton in early July.

Son is an apprentice and does not get many days holiday anyway, but they are busy and he is also doing lots of college work/assessments too. He has decided to wait until later in the year before taking time off, possibly late August/September.