Need your advice

jplotts865

I have been on several cruises and absolutely love the Caribbean. I especially enjoy snorkeling as I really enjoy looking at the beautiful fish and underwater scenery. I now want to sign up for one of the scuba excursions on my upcoming EOS cruise to the Caymans...at 62 and a little overweight...am I out of my mind? I did "snuba" in Barbados on one cruise - in the same shape, essentially, as I am now - and had absolutely no problem whatsoever. I have asked my doctor and explained I did not want to dive to the Andrea Doria but just get down about twenty-five feet. He didn't tell me not to...so...what is involved? I assume there is some sort of "training" for uncertified divers...I always think of it as the "one day wonders"...but have not discussed this with anyone who has done it. So, what do you think? Throw caution to the winds and get down with the fishes where I want to be or stay on the surface? I'd like any and all comments...thanks in advance.

Diving is a truly magical experience as you already know. So, I'd say go for it. Plan a visit to your local dive shop (LDS) and discuss getting certified. The actual certification is not that strenuous. Diving is mainly floating and gently kicking around underwater. you don't use your arms to swim, rather just your fins to kick. your arms are used for checking your gauges, controlling your bouyancy and playing with your dive toys (flashlights, compasses, computers, etc...)

If you plan to just do boat dives in the Caribbean, then you don't have to worry about wearing really thick wetsuits that will require you to wear heavy weight belts to compensate. For example, here in California, I need to wear almost 36 lbs to compensate for the bouyancy of my 7mm thick wetsuit. Down in the Caribbean, I anticipate diving with less than 20 lbs for my 3mm wet suit and even less if I choose to leave the wetsuit on the boat and go commando.

Diving is an equipment intensive sport.... Most dive schools will require you to purchase your own mask, fins, boots, gloves, weight belt, weights, and snorkel. You can rent the wetsuits, BC's, and tanks for your class.

The class is usually around 8 to 12 hours of classroom instruction, followed by a few pool sessions to familiarize yourself with the scuba gear. Then, approximately 6 open water dives in a very controlled environment with the instructor to prove to him/her that you can do all the basic stuff. The basics cover using your BC to control your ascents, proper weighting, buddy breathing, removal and replacement of your BC underwater, clearing your mask of water while submerged, and other safety necessities. It sounds like a lot, but is really not that bad. It is all COMMON SENSE stuff. Once you have completed this, you will get your Certification Card or C-Card as us diver s call it. You will be certified as an OPEN WATER DIVER. But, you training can continue to more advanced levels. Your LDS will explain all of this to you.

As long as you don't have any medical conditions that your doctor is worried about, then you should be fine. As for your weight, that just means you may need a little extra lbs on your weight belt to keep you down, but that really depends on whether you are a floater or not. Proper weighting is an individual thing. One person could dive with 10 lbs, and another may need 15. Just depends on your own body.

If you have no desire to do more agressive dives to depths greater than 40 or 50 feet, then I don't think you should worry. You can dive to 40 feet and see just as much cool stuff as you can by going deeper. I have been down past 100 feet several times, and to be perfectly honest, I didn't enjoy them half as much as my shallower dives.

There is a whole wonderful world under the surface and i personally want to see as much of it as possible. I would recommend Scuba Diving to anyone who shares my similiar desire to explore as long as they have the right frame of mind and don't have any medical conditions that could cause them issues.

We took our friend on a 'discover scuba' course in Aruba this spring. He's mid-fifties and smokes so no in A-1 top physical condition. His only problem was clearing his ears. Our local dive shop trains people your age and even older all the time. Physically, you should be fine. The 'discover scuba' or 'resort course' starts with about 1 hour of instruction on your gear and how to use it. They'll have you practice a few basic skills in shallow water such as clearing water from your mask and they you'll do your actual dive.

If you sign up through the ship, you have to choose an excursion that specifically mentions it is for non-certified divers. They won't train you and throw you in the water on any of the excursions that say 'certified' on them. Also, ask the cruise ship what the instructor to student ratio is on these courses. I think 4 to 1 is typical, don't go with anything higher. I think 4 to 1 is too high personally.

If you let us know your itinerary, someone here might be able to steer you to a good operator you can book independantly to get more personalized instruction. Remember, the biggest danger is that you'll love it and won't want to stop!

My wife is 56 and out of shape and has no problem diving. I think the biggest problem anybody will have with diving as we get older is the combined weight of all the equipment, and trying to balance yourself while walking with fins on. My wife has learned to ask the crew for assistance with the equipment. Since they work for tips they are more than willing to help with everything. She usually has all her equipment carried to the boat for her so she gears up on the boat just prior to going in the water then jumps in. Once you are in the water diving is usually effortless. The first couple of times the gearing up may seem a little strenuous, but it gets easier with experience. If you are comfortable in water you will learn to love diving. By the way the most brilliant colors on fish and coral is usually in the 30-60 foot range of diving. Deeper than that and the water begins filtering out the colors. Good Luck and Enjoy the experience

You'd be surprised at how many divers fit into your demographic profile. Myself, I'm 54, a bit overweight, had a quad bypass last April and was a smoker for 30+ years. When going to Hawaii last year the Doc said to dive my brains out, it will be great therapy. We also dove in GC & Cozumel on our cruise this April. I am more comfortable below the water now than I ever have been. Get certified and have the time of your life! Pictures & videos of our last dive trips are at the link below. The QT videos take a little while to load,

Mike

www.homepage.mac.com/csealove/

I’m a 52 year old SCUBA instructor and, well let’s put it this way – I look more like a walrus than an Ironman tri-athlete. I’m in pretty good shape though and fine in the water. The concerns about physical condition arise not so much about the normal dive but what can you handle in an emergency.

For either certification or a Discover SCUBA (resort course) there will be a health questionnaire, if you answer yes to any one of a number of questions 0r a combination of other questions, you will have to get a doctor’s sign off before you can dive. Don’t lie on the questions they are there for a reason. If an operator will take you anyway without the doc’s sign off the operator doesn’t give a damn about your safety. Don’t go with them they are likely to be shoddy about other safety aspects as well.

Go to a local dive shop and ask them for a copy of the health questionnaire well before you go. That way if you need a doctor sign off you’ll have plenty of time to get it. These are just the questions from the PADI form. Other certifying agencies will be similar:

_____ Could you be pregnant, or are you attempting to become pregnant?

_____ Are you presently taking prescription medications? (with the exception of

birth control or anti-malarial)

_____ Are you over 45 years of age and can answer YES to one or more of the

following?

• currently smoke a pipe, cigars or cigarettes

• have a high cholesterol level

• have a family history of heart attack or stroke

• are currently receiving medical care

• high blood pressure

• diabetes mellitus, even if controlled by diet alone

Have you ever had or do you currently haveÉ

_____ Asthma, or wheezing with breathing, or wheezing with exercise?

_____ Frequent or severe attacks of hayfever or allergy?

_____ Frequent colds, sinusitis or bronchitis?

_____ Any form of lung disease?

_____ Pneumothorax (collapsed lung)?

_____ Other chest disease or chest surgery?

_____ Behavioral health, mental or psychological problems (Panic attack, fear of

closed or open spaces)?

_____ Epilepsy, seizures, convulsions or take medications to prevent them?

_____ Recurring complicated migraine headaches or take medications to prevent

them?

_____ Blackouts or fainting (full/partial loss of consciousness)?

_____ Frequent or severe suffering from motion sickness (seasick, carsick,

etc.)?

_____ Dysentery or dehydration requiring medical intervention?

_____ Any dive accidents or decompression sickness?

_____ Inability to perform moderate exercise (example: walk 1.6 km/one mile

within 12 mins.)?

_____ Head injury with loss of consciousness in the past five years?

_____ Recurrent back problems?

_____ Back or spinal surgery?

_____ Diabetes?

_____ Back, arm or leg problems following surgery, injury or fracture?

_____ High blood pressure or take medicine to control blood pressure?

_____ Heart disease?

_____ Heart attack?

_____ Angina, heart surgery or blood vessel surgery?

_____ Sinus surgery?

_____ Ear disease or surgery, hearing loss or problems with balance?

_____ Recurrent ear problems?

_____ Bleeding or other blood disorders?

_____ Hernia?

_____ Ulcers or ulcer surgery ?

_____ A colostomy or ileostomy?

_____ Recreational drug use or treatment for, or alcoholism in the past five

years?

just remember: Fat Floats:D oh yeah, and be prepared to part with your money:rolleyes: Your local YMCA may offer a scuba course. I certfied on NAUI and was required to swim the full length of a HUGE pool underwater on one breath:eek: Not to be outdone by that maneuver, I also was required to succeed at "ditch 'n don"....OMG, what was I thinking?????? I feel the best when on scuba.

Wow...what a fantastic - and positive - response! All that information is invaluable and greatly appreciated. I am quite adept and comfortable as far as snorkling is concerned...a decent (if not Olympic) swimmer...and not prone to pushing myself beyond any reasonable limits. All the years I've been stuck on the surface, as wonderful as it is, I have had to be content with the fact that I can't go deeper. I will probably take scuba training here and follow your combined advice. My cousin's wife is a certified diver (they live in St. Thomas) and the fantasy plan has always been to get the preliminary work out of the way here and then get certification there...if such is possible. I'd like to do open water diving in clear water...the Atlantic off the Delmarva coast is not the Caribbean...

So thanks again...I read and will heed all the very good advice!!!

Hubby & I are both over 50 and love to dive. The hardest part for me is clearing my ears, but hubby has no problem with that! We are less active and more weighty than in previous years, but that has no effect on diving. My dive instructors were QUITE overweight and did a great job!

One thing we encountered at several ports, was they didn't want to allow us to dive if ANY question was answered yes. Even the one that said "Have you ever had a headache?" They insisted all NO answers or no dive. So, I suggest you make sure someone on the dive boat with you has a list of all medications and/or health conditions, so in the extremely rare event something would happen, your friend could whip out the paper and make sure you received the proper medical attention. I've never seen it happen, but every diver should be prepared for whatever could possibly happen.

So, what do you think? Throw caution to the winds and get down with the fishes where I want to be or stay on the surface?
No, do not throw caution to the wind, but Yes get down with the fishes. You won't want to go back to just snorkeling after diving.

I usually recommend that a person do a discover scuba before committing to the full certification course. A word of caution, scuba diving can be hazardous to your wallet and in extreme cases it can be very disruptive on a person's relationship if the other partner is a non-diver. Several of my dive buddies have had AIDS , Aquatic Induced Divorce Syndrome.

So, what do you think? Throw caution to the winds and get down with the fishes where I want to be or stay on the surface?
No, do not throw caution to the wind, but Yes get down with the fishes. You won't want to go back to just snorkeling after diving.

I usually recommend that a person do a discover scuba before committing to the full certification course. A word of caution, scuba diving can be hazardous to your wallet and in extreme cases it can be very disruptive on a person's relationship if the other partner is a non-diver. Several of my dive buddies have had AIDS , Aquatic Induced Divorce Syndrome.

Need some advice...I am not a strong swimmer but am in very good physical shape. My 15 year old son (who just got his scuba certification this summer) and I are cruising next month. He BEGGED me to take the beginners scuba excursion in St Thomas (Carnival Cruise). He wants to scuba with me. My question is this - do I need to be a strong swimmer to do this beginners dive?

You don't have to be a "strong" swimmer to dive but you should feel comfortable in the water. If you have problems with water splashing in you eyes, nose, mouth, etc. you should re-think trying any diving on a cruise.

The swimming test I had to take for certification was to swim 200 yards (no time limit) which was 8 lengths of our YMCA pool then tread water for 10 minutes (floating counted.)

If your son got certified, why not do all the class work and confined water (pool) work at home, then you will feel more comfortable doing a beginner (discover scuba) dive with your son and you can then finish your certification at home after the cruise.

I realize this may be more expensive than just doing a discover scuba dive but the enjoyment of knowing you had the basic skills, could more than compensate when you actually get 40' down.

Happy bubbles.

sea-jay is right on in his assessment. You don't have to be a strong swimmer, but you also can't be afraid of the water and you must respect the water. If people are afraid of the water, then they tend to panic very quickly. when people panic, even minor situations can escalate very quickly. you MUST be very comfortable being in the water. you also have to put the ultimate trust in your gear and your buddy, and you really need the ability to remain calm in stressful situations.

Case in point - Myself and two dive buddies went on an advertised ADVANCED boat dive. On the boat, the dive master asked if we could pick up a single and dive as two pairs instead of a threesome. We discussed it and I decided to take him. After thoroughly questioning this guy and discussing my gear and his, i felt reasonably comfortable with his knowledge level. he seemed very confident, just what i would expect from and "experienced" diver. he said he had over 100 dives in hawaii and other places. Well, our first dive was to 109 feet. we all got in, did a surface check, and all was well. we proceeded to the anchor line and began our descent into the DARK waters of Carmel Bay. I was leading with my buddy, and my friends were following. at 70 feet, we found the anchor lodged on a rock formation. we stopped there and checked our gear, adjusted weight belts, did another thorough buddy check. We all started with about 2400 lbs of air. I was now at 2300, my friend the same, and my new buddy was at 2200. thumbs up all around and down we went over the side of the rock heading for the sandy bottom. when we all settled, we did one more buddy check. I was at 2250 or so, but my buddy was now at 1900. that was odd i thought so I checked him for air leaks and there were none. again, all was cool, so off we went in pairs swimming slowly around the awesome rock formation covered in beautiful sponges, plant life, and creatures. after 20 feet or so, my buddy was looking really nervous. I gathered the group and checked his air. he was now at 1500. I was still at 2000. my friends were also at 2000, so I told them to go on and I was taking by buddy back to the anchor and heading back up. we parted ways and my buddy and i started back. I was looking in his eyes and they were as big as silver dollars. I wrote on my slate to stay calm, we will be fine. I found the part of the rock that we came down and started up very slowly, going face to face with my buddy. he was now at 1200 and breathing very rapidly. I showed him my console and that I was still at 1900. he started to kick up which set off my ascent alert on my computer. I stopped him, showed him my computer, looked in his eyes, and reminded him very sternly that we were at 90+ feet and needed to go up SLOW... he nodded, gave me the ok sign, and we started up once again very slowly. we hit 70 feet and found the anchor. we grabbed the anchor line and did another air check. I was at 1500 he was at 600. I took my reg out and put in my air2. i was showing him my gauge and my main reg and pointed out that we could buddy breath if need be. he nodded ok, then let go of the line, and me, and bolted for the surface. I tried to grab his leg, but he kicked away from me. a second or two later he broke the surface like a missle followed almost immediately by two big splashes from the dive boat as the boat crew jumped into the 48 degree water to pull him onboard. all I could do was watch. I checked my computer and it was my ascent alert was flashing bright red. So, I hung out at the anchor for about 5 minutes, then slowly began my crawl up the anchor line. I did an extended safety stop at 15 then got back to the boat. To my surprise, this guy was still breathing. they had him on oxygen but he was ok for now. After I got onboard and told the crew what happened, they apologized to me and told me he lied to all of us. this was his first dive after being certified and he thought he was macho enough to handle it. He might have been macho, but he Paniced. He started hyperventilating and might even have gotten narc'd a little. I did everything I could to stay calm, relax, and control the situation, but his panic level was so severe, that he just bolted. I was so upset personally by this that I sat out our second dive to collect my thoughts about what had happened.

My point here is that you need to be honest with your self and your buddy. Never dive deeper than you are comfortable and only dive if you are physically and mentally ready THAT DAY !!!! If you are comfortable in the water and have a desire to dive, then go for it. My son is certified as well and it is the coolest thing to dive with him. we both have that ultimate trust in each other and watch each other like hawks while diving. He knows I will be there to help him and visa versa. I also dive with my wife and enjoy that trememdously. If you can share this adventure with your son, you will be pals forever. There is nothing more binding than the relationship you have with a good dive buddy! When you put your life in their hands and visa versa, and that creates a bond like no other. it is cool !!!!

You don't have to be a "strong" swimmer to dive but you should feel comfortable in the water. If you have problems with water splashing in you eyes, nose, mouth, etc. you should re-think trying any diving on a cruise.

The swimming test I had to take for certification was to swim 200 yards (no time limit) which was 8 lengths of our YMCA pool then tread water for 10 minutes (floating counted.)

If your son got certified, why not do all the class work and confined water (pool) work at home, then you will feel more comfortable doing a beginner (discover scuba) dive with your son and you can then finish your certification at home after the cruise.

I realize this may be more expensive than just doing a discover scuba dive but the enjoyment of knowing you had the basic skills, could more than compensate when you actually get 40' down.

Happy bubbles.

Thanks for the info, I truly appreciate it. I wish I could do the class work in advance but my cruise is only a few weeks away so there is not enough time . While browsing through the available shore excursions my son saw this one and really wanted to do it with me. I also should say that this beginners dive is only 15 feet.

Chevdiver - Thank you also for the information and insight. The dive is only 15 feet, but I guess anything could happen regardless of how deep you are. My ex husband is a diver (which is how our son got interested). I guess I will use my good judgement. While in Grand Cayman last year, swimming with the stingrays, there were several women who signed up for the excursion. Once we got there and they saw all the stingrays, they paniced and would not leave the boat. So, if I get there and am not comfortable, I will just "park" my rear in the boat and bid goodbye to everyone.

15 ft is a very simple dive and you can ascend rapidly without any harm, kinda like jumping of the high dive and touching the bottom of the swimming pool. Alot of times there is more to see at 15-20 feet than there is at 90 ft. Im an advanced diver and DH used to be a hard hat underwater welder on Oil rigs off the gulf of Mexico. Ive been to 90ft and Ive been to 20ft. I prefer 20ft, plus you can stay under water as long as you have air in your tanks unlike deeper dives where you can only stay about 15-20 minutes even if you have more air left.

• 2 weeks later...

Something that you have got to do is go and get your doctor to run you through a physical for diving.

You will note that the Padi information above does not ask you if you have any emphysema (sp) or COPD. If you are a cigarette smoker of years, you need to be absolutely sure that you do not have these diseases. If you get to depth and then trap air in your lungs or the lining of the lung cavity, you could easily end up with an overexpanded lung injury or a collapsed lung. I have been told that both are painful, not to say that they are life-threatening as well.

I am 50 and I will be diving as long as my health lets me. It is a unique experience. Don't give your training the short shrift. Your life will depend on it.

15 ft is a very simple dive and you can ascend rapidly without any harm, kinda like jumping of the high dive and touching the bottom of the swimming pool.

This is a misleading statement to give to novice or beginning divers. When I jump in from a high board, I am not breathing compressed air under pressure when I take my breath. The greatest expansion you have in your lungs while breathing compressed air is in that last 10-15 feet from the surface. You do not ascend rapidly if you are SCUBA diving (unless it is an emergency swimming ascent) and you still have to be exhaling as you rise. Making rapid ascents from 15 feet can lead to lung overexpansion accidents, air embolism, pulmonary embolism, etc.

I don't mean to be critical, but if someone is going to start diving, they better pay attention to their training and dive correctly to minimize the potential of injury.

15 ft is a very simple dive and you can ascend rapidly without any harm, kinda like jumping of the high dive and touching the bottom of the swimming pool. ...... Im an advanced diver and DH used to be a hard hat underwater welder on Oil rigs off the gulf of Mexico.
I'm surprised that someone who is an advanced diver would give information like this that is potentially harmful.

Surfacing from 15ft while scuba diving is not "kinda" like surfacing from a high dive. When you dive from the surface into the water, the volume of air in your lungs will compress as you go deeper and expand to the same volume when you surface which causes no damage. When you surface from 15 ft while scuba diving, the volume of air in your lungs will expand as the pressure of the water decreases UNLESS you breath out as you ascend. If you hold your breath while you surface, the increased pressure in your lungs would damage them.

Wow Chevdiver,

That must have been scary... but it's a good example about being careful about who you dive with.... Here's 2 stories, not meant to scare anyone from diving but to remind everyone to respect diving and whom you are with.

1. Actually a friends story but he and his buddy had done dives together for a few years. They spear fish together. Use Nitrox. And they use dual tanks. Somehow his buddy got his air hoses cut by rock and was leaking.. Came to my friend to say out of air.. my friend went to buddy breathe but his buddy just took his air source. Then freaked out and bolted to the surface like a rocket.. Ended up ok but that could have been really deadly..

2. My buddy and I went diving last week and they asked if we'd pair up with someone who didn't have a buddy. It would be the 3 of us. He asked if we'd take photos and if he waved us off, he was going up.... well we swam around looking at stuff and next thing we know, he's headed up.. no warning... Not nice to do to someone who's trying to look out for you... I'm not sure I'll take someone on again without drilling them and telling them, no leaving us til the end of the dive... Messed up our dive.... having to make sure he was ok...

You do need to be comfortable in water.. I'm someone who had a fear of water unless it was in a pool....I never thought I could do this. But I took swim lessons and have worked my a** off.... So I'm more comfortable and better out of sheer determination.... lol.... but you so use your air quicker if you panick and don't learn to calm down and breathe easy...... But it's a blast down there....so much to see and learn......Enjoy

"15 ft is a very simple dive and you can ascend rapidly without any harm, kinda like jumping of the high dive and touching the bottom of the swimming pool. Alot of times there is more to see at 15-20 feet than there is at 90 ft.

Wow...... What an incorrect statement... It's a big difference when you dive breathing your own air versus diving and breathing compressed air.... even when you free dive to 10, 20 feet you have to take special precautions.... Not a good thing to say........:confused:

Archived