Best way to get from Houston Airport to Galveston

tammijoe

Hello,

DH and I are considering a Christmas/New Years trip on the Carnival Elation out of Galviston.

We've noticed in order to get to Texas we would have to fly to Houston....don't know if there is any airport closer. (We are coming from Michigan).

How do we get from Houston to Galveston...shuttle...rental car?

If we go the rental car route?.....can you pick up your car in houston and drop it off in Galveston? How close is that to the port...how do you get to the port once you dropped your car off?.......So much to research.....even more so than our first trip to Vegas in May.....thought this would be so much easier...but it's a whole different world.

Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks,

Tam

I don't know if this will help. I have heard that a company called Galveston Limousine is a good choice to use to get from Houston to Galveston. Their website is http://www.galvestonlimousineservice.com. They about $50 p/adult round trip. It looks like they use vans to transport people.We haven't decided if we are going to fly or drive; if we fly we are going to use them. Come join us on the Rhapsody for Christmas! I have read that someone rented a car from Enterprise in Houston and Enterprise picked them up at the port. I don't know how they got back to Houston.

If you can do a shuttle, I'd do that. Houston traffic can be a nightmare and a good way to start / end your vacation on a bad note but the route between intercontinental and Galveston, is easy (I-45). Unless you want to spend some extra time in the area, don't rent a car, pay the money to have someone else do the driving!

Hi, we used Galveston Limo from Bush airport to the pier last fall. They were great-on time- and we had a close flight for time on our return trip. Unless you are familier with Houston, I would not rec. renting a car. Our traffic was terrible and the driver knew how to get around it without much delay. Have fun on your cruise!

There is an airport closer to Galveston than IAH-Houston Intercontinental. It's Hobby, but most airlines don't fly into there. The trip from IAH to Galveston is about 45 minutes, and could be a lot longer, depending on traffic.

I used Galveston Limo as it was the best fare, pre-paid, round-trip. But beware, it really isn't a limo, it is a bus, but they handle all your luggage and drop you off right where you need to be.

Just be sure you know what terminal you are leaving from upon your return. We had a few peple on our return to IAH who rode round-and-round, as they didn't have any idea what terminal they were departing out from.

I think Hobby is Southwest only. I think you can get direct flights from DTW to IAH about 4 times a day on either NW (DTW hub) or Continental (IAH hub), so there is alot of flexibility there. Of couse, if you're closer to ORD you probably have similar options.

Here's a link that covers both IAH and Hobby: http://www.houstonairportsystem.org/

(BTW, IAH is frequently referred to as GBIA but IAH is the correct code.)

IAH is maybe 15-20 miles further than Hobby, but they are on opposite sides of Houston. A good transport service should know if there are traffic issues and route around them in any number of ways. Elation you'd be coming in on Sat or Sun so traffic shouldn't be too troublesome around Houston anyway. So, the net is that it is really 50/50... choose the one with the best match for your desired flight.

I've heard that Enterprise is fair for a one way rental in either direction, but I don't know if they are open on Sunday in Galveston.

Many of the hotels have a free shuttle to the port, so you could get dropped at the hotel on Sat if desired, have a nice dinner and a walk on the beach, and then a relaxing morning before getting on the ship.

Archived