cruising with a foster child -- concerns/special considerations?

hey all --

We wil lbe going on a cruise to Nassau and Freeport end of August with our Foster Daughter --

we have the permissions and paper work , passport etc all taken care off, but would there be anything else i should be concerned about?

She is 8 -- and an overall good kid -- but we have no idea what she will be like on the ship --

she will definitely not be checking herself out of the kids club -- if she will even bother attending it --

anything that may not be quite so obvious that i may be missing here?

My only advice here after triple checking the paperwork would be the same advice I'd give any parent and that is to remember that you are effectively sailing with the population of a small town and that there is no screening to eliminate potential dangers associated with fellow passengers. Speaking from experience with the System I would also say that as a foster parent I would submit to my worker what I call "ship rules" and that would serve to protect you if anything does come up. At least then you have some documentation to show that you were diligent and the worker has the opportunity to review the rules and ensure that they meet their standards. Nothing worse that having a social worker say "well this is the Minister's child and we would not have permitted XYZ..." It is terrible that we have to work so hard to protect ourselves from the system when we are trying to make the lives of vulnerable children better.

Have a blast making these incredible cruising memories! We've had foster children who have come back to us 15 years later with scrapbooks from vacations that they had taken with us. They continued to cherish the memories right through all their life changes.

There have been a number of posts on this topic. Seems like you have all the approvals/documentation covered.

As the child has a different name to you, do you have a photo ID (e.g. school ID card) for her that shows her picture? You might want to take that (and proof of guardianship) when you go ashore, so that upon return to the port you have some connecting paperwork to you in the situation that security in the port asks for proof that the child is "with" you. I have a Hispanic fost-adopt child (not finalized yet), and if we went to Mexico on a cruise before finalization then I would take such paperwork with - I don't want security in the port thinking I abducted the child). While most people don't bother taking paperwork ashore, yours is a situation where you do not need any risk of questioning about the relationship to the child.

Suggestion: Does the child have a (cheap) digital camera to take pictures of HER holiday? That way she records her own memories, and it might be a nice travel-gift. My little guy regularly grabs one of my old cameras to take pictures.

Also have you tested the waters :) to see if she has good sea legs. I took my little guy on a whale watching trip off Long Beach last year to see how he handles being out on the water in a smaller boat. (He did fine even with the sea being quite rough). If your foster-daughter suffers with a local boat trip then you know to stock-up on some sea-sickness meds.

Good luck and happy cruising.

We cruised with our foster son who is now our adopted son and he LOVED every minute of it. We cruised with everything that you have and had no problems at all. They never even asked to see any permission letters and neither did the airport? Have a great trip..... :)

For some reason the Bahamas seem to be extra extra tough about children's paperwork.....

so I would double check with your Travel Agent just to make sure.

IF you did not use a Travel Agent, then I would be talking to someone at US Customs to make sure you have all your i's dotted and t's crossed.

hey all --

We wil lbe going on a cruise to Nassau and Freeport end of August with our Foster Daughter --

we have the permissions and paper work , passport etc all taken care off, but would there be anything else i should be concerned about?

She is 8 -- and an overall good kid -- but we have no idea what she will be like on the ship --

she will definitely not be checking herself out of the kids club -- if she will even bother attending it --

anything that may not be quite so obvious that i may be missing here?

I cruised with my foster daughters and it was easy. They barely looked at the paperwork although I had everything. My girls were teenagers and well behaved, much different than an 8 year old. But besides the paperwork issue, I don't think its much different except you may have to manage any behaviors she has if any. If she's been with you long enough, I'm sure you know what they are and how to manage.

Have fun!

Also have you tested the waters :) to see if she has good sea legs. I took my little guy on a whale watching trip off Long Beach last year to see how he handles being out on the water in a smaller boat. (He did fine even with the sea being quite rough). If your foster-daughter suffers with a local boat trip then you know to stock-up on some sea-sickness meds.

Good luck and happy cruising.

We did this with our DS when he was 5. We took him on a 3-day cruise to see how he would like it and see if he would be interested in a longer cruise. Needless to say, he loved it and is still cruising with us at 18. One thing to take into consideration is how well does this child interact with other children because if she doesn't do well or is extremely shy, going to a kid's club could be a problem.

I hope all turns out well and that you and your child have an awesome cruise!:D

Edited by mousey