Celebrity Century Wins Accolades

curtdesilets

We are sailing Century in a couple weeks, and really enjoyed her on our last cruise on her in 2012. Interestingly, the ship had quite a few negative reviews recently after her dry dock. That is VERY STRANGE. :eek:

She cleaned up on the Cruise Critic UK Survey this past year:

The U.K. Cruise Critic Cruisers' Choice Awards are based on reviews submitted by U.K.-based cruisers for cruises taken during 2013. They are awarded in three ship classes, according to passenger capacity – small (1,199 passengers or fewer), mid-sized (1,200 to 1,999) and large (2,000+). The top 10 ships in each class are named in the following categories: Overall, Cabins, Dining, Embarkation, Entertainment, Fitness, Public Rooms, Service, Shore Excursions and Value-for-Money. Awards are also given to the top-ranked ships in popular cruise regions; Alaska, Bahamas, Caribbean and the Mediterranean.

This year's U.K. winners include:

Best Large Ships:

Best Overall Ship: Serenade of the Seas (Royal Caribbean)

Best Dining: Serenade of the Seas (Royal Caribbean)

Best Value-for:Money: Serenade of the Seas (Royal Caribbean)

Best for Embarkation: Adventure of the Seas (Royal Caribbean)

Best Fitness: P&O Cruises' Ventura

Best Shore Excursions: Queen Elizabeth (Cunard)

Best Cabins: Celebrity Eclipse

Best Public Rooms, Best Service: Celebrity Equinox

Best Entertainment: Carnival Sunshine

Top 10 Large Ships in Each Category

Best Mid-Sized Ships:

Best Overall Ship: Celebrity Century

Best Dining: Celebrity Century

Best Fitness: Celebrity Century

Best Service: Celebrity Century

Best Value-for-Money: Celebrity Century

Best Entertainment: Thomson Spirit

Best Shore Excursions: Thomson Island Escape

Best Embarkation: Norwegian Spirit (Norwegian Cruise Line)

Best Cabins: Riviera (Oceania)

Best Public Rooms: Riviera (Oceania)

Top 10 Mid-Size Ships in Each Category

Best Small Ships:

Best Overall Ship: Azamara Journey

Best Dining: Azamara Journey

Best Entertainment: Azamara Journey

Best Fitness: Azamara Journey

Best Public Rooms: Azamara Journey

Best Service: Azamara Quest

Best Value-for-Money: Azamara Quest

Best Embarkation: Braemer (Fred. Olsen Cruise Line)

Best Shore Excursions: Black Watch Fred. Olsen Cruise Line

Best Cabins: P&O Cruises' Adonia

Top 10 Small-Size Ships in Each Category

Best for Families (all ship sizes): P&O Cruises' Azura

Top 10 Cruises for Families

Best Destination Cruises (based on global ratings)

Best Cruise to Alaska: Rhapsody of the Seas (Royal Caribbean)

Best Cruise to the Bahamas: Disney Dream

Best Cruise to the Caribbean: Disney Fantasy

Best Cruise to the Mediterranean: Celebrity Silhouette

Best from the U.K: Celebrity Eclipse

"Winning a Cruisers' Choice Award is a fantastic accolade for cruise lines, particularly as they're based entirely on review ratings submitted by cruisers over the course of the past year, rather than votes. These awards offer a great insight into British consumers' first-hand experiences and feedback of the cruises they have been on," explained Adam Coulter, UK editor at Cruise Critic.

Edited by curtdesilets
clarification

Unless respondents to the survey have sailed all ships in the category, the results are not at all valid. So, to me, the survey means nothing.

Huh The survey is reporting the results of a cruiser's experiences on the cruise they just sailed. It doesn't have to be compared to another line. Why would you have to sail Princess to review your Century experience:confused:

Edited by Christine Frances

Well, at least the way I look at the results, they are based on reviews of ships by people who have probably only sampled one or two ships in a season. Those people have no idea what a cruise would be like from a competing company or ship. Not only that, those people have different expectations of a cruise. It's all pallets and oranges to me and I cannot glen anything worthwhile from the report.

In order for me to see any validity in the rankings, I would like to see a group of people rate all the ships in a category using the same criteria. That way it would be of value to me.

The Century has a cult following as previously stated in another thread. We were on the eight day sailing following the dry dock. It was definitely not up to Celebrity standards. I can't help but think that the Century defenders are cruisers who can't get past the good old days of cruising when they and the ship were a lot younger and the cruise ship choices were not what they are today. These people also seem to obsessed with what they consider to be classic cruise liners. I think they picture themselves as Rose on the Titanic, before the iceberg.

The Century has a cult following as previously stated in another thread. We were on the eight day sailing following the dry dock. It was definitely not up to Celebrity standards. I can't help but think that the Century defenders are cruisers who can't get past the good old days of cruising when they and the ship were a lot younger and the cruise ship choices were not what they are today. These people also seem to obsessed with what they consider to be classic cruise liners. I think they picture themselves as Rose on the Titanic, before the iceberg.

That's my opinion also. There were people that were quite vocal about keeping her in the fleet. After the announcement that she is being removed from Celebrity, some of those same people started complaining about her condition and talking smack about her.

I cruised on the Century on March 3rd, a three-night. She had been returned from dry dock for 19 days when I boarded.

She was wonderful. Food fine, service fine, truly no complaints. Lots of live music, great use of the Crystal Room for an additional show at 10 pm before the 10:45 pm shows in the Theatre.

Is that clear, Mr. B would say to me? and I'd say, Crystal.

And btw -- kippers on the breakfast buffet!!! No wonder she's the #1 ship for Brits. And for Mr. B.