In Consideration Of Your Fellow Passengers...

Leo Jay

I've read a number of gripes about inconsiderate behavior that has detracted from various passengers' enjoyment of their cruises, so I thought it might be good to start a thread where people could post REASONABLE requests for civility.

Now, keep in mind that while we each have our own ideas about what would be the ideal cruise if WE were king/queen of the world (e.g., NO kids, NO walkie-talkies, NO thongs on formal night, or whatever), I'd encourage us all to try to strike a balance that doesn't intrude too much on other people's taste, convenience or enjoyment. For example, as opposed to "Please leave the kids at home!" how about:

Please SUPERVISE your young children and do not allow them to run loose being loud and disruptive, particularly during the evening hours when others may be sleeping.

Or instead of "Don't use a walkie-talkie – it's rude!", how about...

Please be considerate if using a walkie-talkie on board: please set it to VIBRATE, keep the transmission VOLUME turned down low, speak in a LOW voice, and keep your conversations BRIEF and to a minimum. And please do NOT use them during meals or entertainment.

a few more...

Please do not allow your CABIN DOOR to SLAM SHUT. The doors are very loud, and a corridor full of constantly slamming door can extremely disruptive, particularly during early morning and evening hours when people are trying to rest.

Please BE ON TIME FOR DINNER. Your lateness is an inconvenience to your tablemates.

Please keep CAMERA USE to a minimum during dinner, particularly if using a flash.

This is just what I've gleaned so far... what other tidbits are there?

Please don't run screaming down the hall on your way to kids camp. This includes you derf.

Please explain. I think I missed something.

My inconsiderate behavior would be whipping out my laptop and link questions asked of me.

Please explain. I think I missed something.

My inconsiderate behavior would be whipping out my laptop and link questions asked of me.

Okay derf, deny all you want but you know what they say about those in denial.....

Please refrain from letting go in the elevator

YES, this is so true. We just got back from the Ecstasy yesterday. As we boarded the elevator over the weekend, a gentlemen was leaving. The elevator door closed and we all 3 almost gagged. :eek: He "let go" of something horrible. We were covering our noses until the door opened again. I was glad no one was waiting when we got off, because they would have thought we did that. :rolleyes: PLEASE hold all gases until you get to the restroom.

Please dont cut in line for the buffett unless you want your hand slapped! :)

Seriously, I give you a standing O for these... great rules. Most are common sense, but I think people leave their common sense and manners at home while on vacation ;)

Please do not randomly stick your head around the balcony divider to introduce yourself to your new neighbors for the week. People book private balconies for a reason!

Please also be aware that if the sun is behind you and you are on your private balcony, the people on the other side can see your silhouette, so don't do anything you'd be embarrassed to be seen doing! :D True story, last cruise we had an aft balcony cabin and the guy in the next cabin was out on his balcony with his music on and dancing around! We could see his shadow very clearly through the divider... so funny. I think he was drinking and possibly smoking something that wasn't tobacco, too, which would explain his dancing. :rolleyes:

Don't save seats in the auditorium for the rest of the family that "will be along in a little while" - the rules say NO SEAT SAVING!

Don't stop and stand in the middle of the walkway - any where - blocking other peoples way

Don't smoke in non-smoking areas and don't give those who are smoking in approved areas the evil eye

Please keep your children out of the adult only hot tubs - there is a reason they are designated adults only - they are for adults only :)

Don't save seats in the auditorium for the rest of the family that "will be along in a little while" - the rules say NO SEAT SAVING!

:confused: The seat saving thing surprises me and strikes me as a tad unreasonable -- you go ahead and take your seat and save one for your spouse who's gone to the restroom, and that's considered rude? I don't get that.

ADULT HOT TUB!!!! Boy do I wish someone somewhere would enforce that one!!! I never let my children go in one when there is a sign posted as such...but I think I am the only one in the country.

Also someone mentioned not giving the evil eye to someone smoking in the smoking area...last cruise a man asked me to put out my cigarette when I was sitting at a smoking bar with ash tray in front of me...I politely told him he was at the smoking bar and pointed the way to the bar that was non-smoking....Let's just say he came really close to punching me. Scary for me....but he was the one that was rude.

:confused: The seat saving thing surprises me and strikes me as a tad unreasonable -- you go ahead and take your seat and save one for your spouse who's gone to the restroom, and that's considered rude? I don't get that.

I don't think that's what gr1634 was talking about, and I know that's not what the rules are meaning either. What they're talking about is the one or two people who are saving a HUGE space for 10 people who never show up. Saving your SOs seat while they use the restroom is not "seat saving" in that sense.

When returning to the ship after being in port, Please don't mosy up to the front of the line and start a chat with someone who will let you in......After all, if I had to stand in the hot sun for 35 minutes....what makes you think don't have to? Please tell me why you would think that you shouldn't have to wait while others do?

Please take your spot at the end of the line like everyone ( well, almost everyone) else does!

How about.... please don't give me angry glares when my children are just being children and having some fun? Yes, there are times children should be quiet, but there are other times when it is perfectly fine for them to laugh and play!

And yes... please wait to break wind until one is appropriate 'aft deck'.

Also, I know its difficult to make a decision on what to choose in the buffet lines, but please try not to stand there for a lond time and please, please, please dont pick food up and then put it back...ewwww

It's not hard to choose, just take whatever looks good and if it isn't go back later for more choices! :rolleyes:

Archived