Tendering on the Serenade

We are scheduled to arrive in Santorini at 7:00 on the Serenade of the Seas on May 31st. We have arranged a private tour. I realize they allow priority tendering to those with ship excursions, but what has been your experience as to when they start handing out tender tickets for those doing it on their own? I have done a search and cannot find much information on specifics. Our tour is scheduled to start at 9:00, and I want to make sure we will be able to make it to the top of the cable cars by that time. Plus, how many tickets can one person pick up? We have 12 people on the tour. Can I pick them all up myself? I wasn't sure if I should post this question here or on the Greek Isles thread, but I want specifics on RC, so I chose here.

Edited by Ireallyneedavacation

We were just there in October. Serende uses the Santorini island union tenders. They did not use the ships tenders.

If you book an excursion with RCI the tender goes to a different part of the island and you take a bus up to the top of the island. In your case you will take the funicular, donkeys, or walk to the top. As I remember, the announcement, you had to send one person from each cabin for tender tickets. There were a lot of hurt feelings when the people with ship excursions walked right by those that booked their own and siphoned off the tenders making for a long wait. Especially since it was VERY CHOPPY, and the embark and debark process was very slow. I remember 5-6 people literally falling into the tender.

Bottom line, get your tender tickets as soon as you can. A 9:00 AM meet time at the top will be very close. Especially if there is more than one ship, and the line for the funicular is long. The line will be very long going back down, probably 30-40 minute or longer wait. The line to get down was backed up all the way back to the square.

You will LOVE Santorin, enjoy your cruise.

We were just there in October. Serende uses the Santorini island union tenders. They did not use the ships tenders.

If you book an excursion with RCI the tender goes to a different part of the island and you take a bus up to the top of the island. In your case you will take the funicular, donkeys, or walk to the top. As I remember, the announcement, you had to send one person from each cabin for tender tickets. There were a lot of hurt feelings when the people with ship excursions walked right by those that booked their own and siphoned off the tenders making for a long wait. Especially since it was VERY CHOPPY, and the embark and debark process was very slow. I remember 5-6 people literally falling into the tender.

Bottom line, get your tender tickets as soon as you can. A 9:00 AM meet time at the top will be very close. Especially if there is more than one ship, and the line for the funicular is long. The line will be very long going back down, probably 30-40 minute or longer wait. The line to get down was backed up all the way back to the square.

You will LOVE Santorin, enjoy your cruise.

Thanks! I do plan to get up early to get tickets!