Calling all curly girls

runner2013

I bought a straw hat a while back from cruising/vacationing but tried it on w/ hair when straight, so good! Glad to know that you can rock the look :D. I look forward to hearing what he says. I've done the short short (~1in.) but it just wasn't me. Now it's 1/2 way down my back and somehow just easier for me to manage. Maybe because I just just put it in a bun :rolleyes:.

Great thread! I will be reading all the suggestions with interest. For me, all the wind up on deck turns my hair into a frizz ball. I just make sure I stay indoors before we go to dinner so at least for a couple hours out of the day my hair looks good. :) The rest of the time I usually give in to a ponytail or messy bun.

So - I am a true fan of DevaCurl products - I use them daily - and they are my products of choice - however - on my last cruise I took Ouidad Climate Control gel - it was perfect. I prefer DevaCurl at home but Ouidad worked for the cruise!

i bought Miss Jessie's pillow soft curls - have been using that and curl keeper and I have the best curls ever.

I've been putting on the product and then doing a head wrap/scarf with my hair up for the commute to work. Once I scrunch it is soft and spiraly. Miss Jessie's smells so good.

next week it may be completely opposite!! I haven't tried the ouidad, there is a never ending list of hair goodies for next time.

This is a wonderful thread. I too am a curly girl and have worried about what to do with my hair for my upcoming cruise. It seems by all these posts that I need not worry. A few years ago, I discovered Ouidad and it changed my life. Sounds like an ad but its true. Awesome stuff!

At last I´ve learned to love the curl...I use Trevor Sorbie shampoo and conditioner for curly hair then a small blob of his Curl Defining cream

Sandy in Spain

I just googled KCCC and reviews... I think I'm going to buy some today to try, looks like they sell it at Walgreens! Thanks for posting about it! =D I have extremely curly hair that all I can do w/ is put in a bun when I wear it natural. My normal routine is flat ironing. I, like everyone else, have been fretting on what to do w/ my mess on my upcoming cruise. I just purchased Mixed Chicks leave in conditioner as well because my hair tends to dry out easily in the summer.

You have just described what I use.

:)

Mixed Chicks and KCCC. Love it!

Great thread, everyone!

I'm a late bloomer in the world of curl... after 30+ years my hair has suddenly gone from wavy to completely curly in a matter of few months :eek:

It looks a lot better though :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
I embrace the curl! By the end of my cruise, my husband starts calling me "Jon"--as in Bon Jovi.

jonbonjovi-2.jpg

Seriously, I use a leave-in conditioner after the beach, but that's about it. Otherwise I just use my normal gel/curl cream combo (I rub it together to emulsify it before applying it to my hair) and LOTS of hair spray.

Robin

love Jin Bon,,

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app - My next cruise - Equinox - B2B 6/2014

I have a couple of docs at home that list the products you can get at average stores without paying a lot.

Would you mind posting the list of products here? I am interested in looking at was is available at the average stores. Thanks

Great thread, everyone!

I'm a late bloomer in the world of curl... after 30+ years my hair has suddenly gone from wavy to completely curly in a matter of few months :eek:

It looks a lot better though :rolleyes:

You are not alone. Up until I turned 30 my hair would air dry pin straight! I'm 32 now and the right side does this weird spiral frizzy thing, the left side is beautiful waves and the back is straight. So, yeah that's fun. It's halfway down my back so for cruises it's ponytails or buns because it's so hot I can't stand it on my back.

I also can't use anything with heavy moisturizers too close to my roots because they get oily but the curls get frizzy. My hair needs therapy.

You are not alone. Up until I turned 30 my hair would air dry pin straight! I'm 32 now and the right side does this weird spiral frizzy thing, the left side is beautiful waves and the back is straight. So, yeah that's fun. It's halfway down my back so for cruises it's ponytails or buns because it's so hot I can't stand it on my back.

I also can't use anything with heavy moisturizers too close to my roots because they get oily but the curls get frizzy. My hair needs therapy.

Try switching to a silk pillow case :D

Thanks for all of the ideas. I am a Deva Curl girl but tend to use Ouidad when it is humid. They seem to mix okay for me. I went and bought KCCC at Target and have used it a couple of times. I like the curls, but they seem to be crunchy. Am I using too much? Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for all of the ideas. I am a Deva Curl girl but tend to use Ouidad when it is humid. They seem to mix okay for me. I went and bought KCCC at Target and have used it a couple of times. I like the curls, but they seem to be crunchy. Am I using too much? Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

After they dry - scrunch them out with your hands. The crunchy goes away very easily and leaves soft curls.

I tip my head upside down so that I can scrunch all the way to the root.

Edited by MNfamilycruiser

I live where there is very little humidity, so I don't have to deal with the frizz situation unless I'm going on vacation. I switch up my products fairly frequently to 1)prevent buildup and 2) try new things. Right now, my post-shampoo product has gone back to the old reliable Bumble & Bumble Styling Creme for everyday curls. Absolutely no crunches with that stuff!!! I put one drop of Ojon Rare Blend Oil on my hands, warm it up, and put through my hair first. My shampoo right now is Lush Cynthia Sylvia Stout with some American Creme conditioner. When it runs out, I bought a sampler package of DevaCurl stuff that I will try.

I also just bought a bottle of Josie Maran Bohemian Waves Mist. It might be my "play day" hair stuff - I miss my surf hair once in awhile;)

Would you mind posting the list of products here? I am interested in looking at was is available at the average stores. Thanks

From Sally's

Biotera Styling Gel

Biotera Styling Glaze

Denman classic brush - extremely popular with those of us who (at times) use the Super-Soaker Method to obtain more clumpy curls (there’s a video on youtube).

GVP Conditioning Balm - same as Biolage Conditioning Balm, but 1/3-1/4 of the price. Rich, thick, moisturizing.

GVP Hair Reconstructor - same as Joico K-PAK - nice heavy-protein conditioner for the fine-to-medium textured among us.

Proclaim ICE Protein Styling Gel - a heavy, strong-hold gel, also for the fine-to-medium textured among us, because the protein doesn’t play nicely with coarse-textured hair. HUGE container for tiny dollars!

Proclaim Curl & Wave Activating Gel - also a heavier gel, with some curl-activating properties (makes your curls and waves have more “jump”). Cheap!!

Lustrasilk Olive Oil Cholesterol - makes a nice DT, is cheap, and smells like roses.

Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol with Mango - nice deep conditioner for when you need lots more moisture, but don’t want a bunch of protein. Very thick and super-cheap!

Neutral Protein Filler - this is an additive that you can combine with any conditioner, gel, etc., to get some extra protein in your hair to reduce porosity and boost overall health. Great, apparently, if you have super-fine hair.

From a variety of American stores:

Try any “flavor” of Suave Naturals as a co-wash product, or any VO5 fruity/flowery conditioner. Cheap, but good, and easy to find. L’Oreal EverCreme Cleansing Conditioner and SheaMoisture Organic Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo are very mild low-poos which are also very moisturizing. Trader Joe’s Peppermint Tea Tree Tingle Shampoo is a mild low-poo. Whole Foods carries Acure Hair Care Triple Moisture Repairing Shampoo For Normal to Dry/Damaged/Curly Hair.

Good and inexpensive conditioner choices for rinse-out and possibly leave-in at your local grocery/drug store chain would include EverCreme Nourishing Conditioner, SheaMoisture Organic Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner, Tresemme Naturals Conditioners, or BioInfusion Hydrating Conditioner, CURLS Coconut Curlada Conditioner, Nature’s Gate Organics Conditioner Lavender and Aloe, as well as Renpure Organics My Pretty Hair Is Parched, which has both a conditioner and a low-poo. Trader Joe’s carries two conditioners: Nourish Spa and Tea Tree Tingle. Whole Foods carries Beautiful Curls Leave-In for Wavy/Curly and Beautiful Curls Leave-In for Curly/Kinky and Acure Hair Care Triple Moisture Repairing Conditioner For Normal to Dry/Damaged/Curly Hair.

If you can get to a Sally Beauty store, there’s also GVP Conditioning Balm, also a knock-off of the Matrix product, a GVP version of Joico K-PAK (has water-soluable cones in it), (very cheap, very good for deep treatments).

For silicone free gels which are readily available at grocery/drug stores, you can try LA Looks gel, Aussie Sydney Smooth Tizz No Frizz, Aussie Instant Freeze, Herbal Essences Set Me Up Gel Max Hold, Herbal Essences Tousle Me Softly Tousling Spray Gel, L’Oreal Nutri-Gloss Glossy Curls Spray Gel, Suave 8 Gel, CURLS Creme Brule, Goddess Curl Gel, Garnier Fructis Style Fructis Style Pure Clean Styling Gel, or Garnier Fructis Style Curl Shaping Spray Gel. Target now carries Kinky Curly Curling Custard. Kiss My Face Upper Management may be available in health food stores, or markets with health food sections.

At Target and Wal-Mart stores, you can also get stuff that is not quite so cheap from the Giovanni Organics line, many of which are big favorites with our members - 50:50 low-poo and conditioner, Smooth as Silk conditioner, Direct Leave-In Conditioner, and LA Naturals Gel.

Products are frequently reformulated. ALWAYS check the ingredients lists. Also, keep in mind that many haircare manufacturers now add silicones to shampoos/cleansers, and are now beginning to add sulfate detergents to non-cleansing products.

Some home recipes and links - I got this from ravelry.com Naturally Curly Crafters page. The best site EVER for yarn enthusiasts! A lot of people make their own stuff - I do a lavender mist to refresh Hope the links are not a no-no!

Links to websites outside of Rav

Herbal Shampoo

Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse

Baking Soda Clarification

Chlorine Buster

Deep Conditioning Treatment

Hair Detangler

Lavender Water Hair Spray

Oily Scalp Treatment

Olive Oil Treatment

Protein Pack

DT recipes

Dry Shampoo

Hair Treatments

Homemade Deep Avocado Conditioning Treatment

DIY Hair Treatments

IAGirl’s Gelatin Protein Treatment

Recipes listed in the discussion threads

Variation of Flax Seed Gel Recipe on Naturallycurly.com

Flax Seed Gel Recipe:

Homemade Flax Seed Gel

Ingredients:

2 tbsp to 1/4 cup flax Seeds

1-2 cups water

Optional Ingredients:

Add before straining:

1/8 tsp Table Salt, Sea Salt, or Epsom Salt (curl activator)

Add after straining (after mixture cools):

2-3 drops of Lavender Essential Oil

6 drops of Grapefruit Seed Extract (preservative)

2 tbsp - 1/4 cup Aloe Vera Gel (moisturizer)

Cooking Directions

Add water to flax seeds. You may let this soak overnight before cooking if you wish. Bring flax seeds and water to a simmer over moderate heat, while stirring frequently, until it drops off a spoon at the consistency of nectar or honey.

Strain the seeds out by pouring it into a container through a wire mesh strainer.

If thicker consistency is preferred, cook it down some more. You may also return the seeds to the pot, add more water, and cook them a second, and even a third time.

Allow mixture to cool.

Pour mixture into a spray or squirt bottle.

Store in refrigerator.

Lavender Spray

Fill spray bottle with distilled water. Add drops of Essential Oil of Lavender to water in bottle. Shake well, then shake well again before each use.

Curl Refresher Spray (as used in Sandwich Method)

To an empty 8 to 12 oz spray bottle, add:

2 tablespoons conditioner of choice (DevaCurl B’Leave In works well)

1 tablespoon hair gel of choice

a few grains of sea salt/table salt/epsom salt

a few drops of Neutral Protein Filler if your hair is fine or damaged, and responds well to protein

a few drops of Essential Oil(s) of your choice (lavender and rosemary being frequent choices)

distilled water to fill

Shake well after making, then before each use.

For sandwich method curl refreshing, spray onto hands (usually two to four sprays at a time), sandwich hair at roots between hands, then quickly and lightly run both hands down down the length of a section of hair. Repeat once or twice per section; then continue until all sections have been moistened. Then apply scant amount to hands, and moisten scalp with fingertips. Flip hair over, and scrunch from tips toward roots. After straightening up, adjust part if needed, then allow hair to air dry without further handling. Once dry, you may scrunch out any light crunch which may have developed.

DIY Sea Salt Spray Recipe

• 8 oz. of warm water
  • 4 or 5 drops of the essential oil of your choosing (coconut has a great beach-y scent) or macadamia oil
  • 2 teaspoons (or less) of coarse sea salt or Epsom salt
  • 1 teaspoon of gel
  • Spray bottle (add all the above together and shake!)
  • Spray on towel-dried hair and scrunch with hands.

Brown Sugar Scrub

Combine 1 tablespoon brown sugar with your typical single use amount of the co-wash conditioner of choice. Apply to scalp, and massage well. Rinse thoroughly before applying conditioning conditioner.

Try switching to a silk pillow case :D

I've actually been meaning to do that but never remember to look when I'm out shopping. It's really sad because I read that was good for your hair like 2 years ago and every so often I think "next time I'm shopping I'll look for a silk pillowcase". Two years later I still don't have one. lol That's my wonderful memory....

I've actually been meaning to do that but never remember to look when I'm out shopping. It's really sad because I read that was good for your hair like 2 years ago and every so often I think "next time I'm shopping I'll look for a silk pillowcase". Two years later I still don't have one. lol That's my wonderful memory....

It made a noticeable difference in reducing the frizziness at the back of my hair (I sleep on my back for the most part).

lets both go to amazon.com now!!!