Lanai cabin privacy

islandwoman

Never having sailed on HAL, I have a couple of questions about the Lanai cabins:

1. Can passengers on the Promenade Deck look in? Would I have to keep my drapes closed for privacy?

2. Can the sliding glass door be locked from the outside? In other words, if I were sailing in a Lanai cabin, could I go out my door, lock it, and then go walking around the ship?

1. It's one-way (half silvered) glass, so all passer-bys see is themselves in a mirror. Even at night it's very difficult to see in because of the brightness of the deck lights that stay on all night. We have had 5 Lower Prom cabins (not lanais) and have tested the visibility on all of them. :)

See http://halfacts.com/394-ryndam/ for photos of windows

2. I've never had a lanai, but I believe the answer is "yes".

3. They do not have coolers furnished, but you can rent one fo $2/day. Call Ship Services to reserve one, as they are limited.

Edited by jtl513

Thank you, jtl513.

Does anyone definitely know the answer to

Can the sliding glass door be locked from the outside? In other words, if I were sailing in a Lanai cabin, could I go out my door, lock it, and then go walking around the ship?

Thank you, jtl513.

Does anyone definitely know the answer to

Can the sliding glass door be locked from the outside? In other words, if I were sailing in a Lanai cabin, could I go out my door, lock it, and then go walking around the ship?

As soon as you close it, it shuts automatically, and when it is shut, it is locked.

We had a lanai on Maasdam last month. We love the concept a lot...but there isn't as much storage space as in other cabin categories. Renting a cooler would probably be "pushing it".

As stated the door will lock as soon as closed. You will have a white plastic card that you swipe over this little sensor that will unlock your door to enter. It is programmed for your cabin.

We did the vision test at night to see if you could see in the cabin...DH reported that he didn't see the moon so all was well:)

They do leave the lights on all night on this deck, if you like a dark cabin I would take some clips for the curtain.

We really enjoy the lanai concept but have to agree a cooler would be pushing space.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

As soon as you close it, it shuts automatically, and when it is shut, it is locked.

As stated the door will lock as soon as closed. You will have a white plastic card that you swipe over this little sensor that will unlock your door to enter. It is programmed for your cabin.
Is it possible to open the door from the inside without the card? So if you accidentally left the card inside you could lock yourself out?

You do not need the card to open from the inside. Yes, you will be locked out from entering if you leave the card inside.

I did this once and had to walk inside and enter from the interior. There is a shelf that holds the t.v. Right by the door. We got into the habit of placing the card there. You will be looking in that direction when you are opening the door so it is a good visual.

My wife and I spent 2 weeks in a Lanai on the Rotterdam last year. During the day you could not see into the cabin but at night if the cabin light was on you could see in. We kept the drapes closed and never had a problem. It was quite strange during the day to see people looking at themselves in the reflection, one lady even checked her makeup.

Never having sailed on HAL, I have a couple of questions about the Lanai cabins:

1. Can passengers on the Promenade Deck look in? Would I have to keep my drapes closed for privacy?

2. Can the sliding glass door be locked from the outside? In other words, if I were sailing in a Lanai cabin, could I go out my door, lock it, and then go walking around the ship?

There may be 'issues' related to the two loungers reserved outside of and for each lanai stateroom such that, apparantly, there may be persons who will 'occupy' the reserved loungers and 'may' have to be asked to relocate, presumeably without argument! ;) Also, there may be issues with smokers, who are occupying the lanai staterooms as the Promenade Deck outside their lanai staterooms would be, technically, considered their 'balcony' so to speak, where, of course, HAL still, unfortunately, permits smoking; (although, supposedly, smoking is no longer allowed on the Promenade Decks)! Go figure! :rolleyes:

... and am wondering how "dark" the Lanai cabins get? We really like our room very dark. Is it hard to keep the curtains closed completely? thanks
We bring clothespins or snack-bag clips to keep them tightly closed. The first time we had a Lower Prom cabin we didn't know to do this, and a couple of trouser hangers with the two clips did a fair job.

We could have moved up to a lanai for no extra cost because our cruise had gone down in price. We opted instead to move up to a veranda at only a slight increase. Our main reason was that we did not want to deal with asking people to vacate our loungers. Yes, I've read that most people will leave the chair, but I didn't want to deal with those that objected. We don't sit in loungers for long, but would want to do so for brief times frequently. That means I might ask someone to leave, put something on the chair, stand to watch the ocean or take photos, sit for a few minutes, get up and walk around, sit for a few minutes, go back inside, later come out and repeat the process... That's what we do when we have a veranda and I'd want to do the same with a lanai. I don't want to get into a confrontation over "You told us to leave and now you aren't sitting there." etc.

A couple other advantages to a veranda are the added space, the cooler, and the large expanse of door/window with no one walking outside.

Are the loungers on the Promenade Deck in front of the lanai cabins marked in some way to show others that they're reserved for the lanai cabin passengers?
I understand there's a small plaque on each chair. I suggest you make a larger sign.

They can look in but it is hard for them to see anything. I used to laugh when I was in my room and people came by and used our door as a mirror.

You get a separate room card (one for each person) for the lanai door. You can go out and you need the card to get back in.

I was in a lanai on my Antarctica sailing on the Veendam.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

There may be 'issues' related to the two loungers reserved outside of and for each lanai stateroom such that, apparantly, there may be persons who will 'occupy' the reserved loungers and 'may' have to be asked to relocate, presumeably without argument! ;) Also, there may be issues with smokers, who are occupying the lanai staterooms as the Promenade Deck outside their lanai staterooms would be, technically, considered their 'balcony' so to speak, where, of course, HAL still, unfortunately, permits smoking; (although, supposedly, smoking is no longer allowed on the Promenade Decks)! Go figure! :rolleyes:

I was advised that it is not considered a balcony and smoking is not allowed on that deck.

The reserved seats were marked and we never had an issue on our sailing. The staff would help if the person did not move if someone was sitting in your chair I suppose. There are other chairs not reserved on the same deck spread put in between some of the reserved ones. We never had anyone sit in our chairs.

I would stay in a Lanai again.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

Edited by falcon10156