Valor July 2013 plus Vieques - Take 2

cra-z-2cruise

Wow! Your review is great and your photos are amazing! I have never seen such beautiful color in underwater shots. You have got to be a professional photographer! I know I won't understand it, but what kind of camera were you using?

Wow! Your review is great and your photos are amazing! I have never seen such beautiful color in underwater shots. You have got to be a professional photographer! I know I won't understand it, but what kind of camera were you using?

Thanks so much for the complement. We do have some background in photography, but we leave our DSLRs at home when cruising.

Ps-P7171746-L.jpg

The vast majority of the pics were taken with the Olympus Stylus Tough 6020u. Some with Olympus Stylus Tough 6000 (Pictured above). We have used them for several years and have been extremely satisfied.

Some were with our phones.

Love your review! We sail in 57 days and I'm reading everything I can find about the trip. Who did you book your Barbados excursion through?

http://www.calabazasailingcruises.com/

Calabaza Sailing. Been with them twice and it stills ranks as my all-time favorite excursion!

Gina is the best!

They only take 12 per trip, so book early!

So far, the weather had been beautiful. I just knew our luck would run out sooner or later.

When I woke up and looked outside Thursday morning, I figured this would be the day.

St%20Lucia%202013%20PS3-L.jpg

St%20Lucia%202013%20PS80-L.jpg

As we pulled into port, it actually rained a bit.

St%20Lucia%202013%20PS38-L.jpg

Since we were going to spend five days post cruise at the beach, I decided St Lucia would be a non-water day.

On a previous visit, we had done the Tree Top Adventure zip lines and challenge course in the rainforest. It was beautiful and a lot of fun.

This time we decided on the segway tour and booked with LucianStyle Segway. The ship offered a tour that included a safari/beach portion, but I emailed them and asked about just the segway portion.

St%20Lucia%202013%20PS26-L.jpg

They were very fast to respond to my request and answered all my questions.

We were offered several time options. The cost was $85 for a two hour segway tour vs $99 for the ship's four hour segway/safari/beach tour.

I knew we would be tired by this point in the trip, so opted for the 11:00 tour.

We enjoyed a nice breakfast, seated by the windows in the Washington dining room, gathered our stuff and headed off the ship by 9:00.

We were instructed to meet the Segway representative at the tourist information desk at 10:30.

That meant we had plenty of time to find where we were supposed to meet, look through some shops, and use some free wifi. :cool:

Actually, it was a good thing I brought my phone with me...

We verified the correct meeting spot with a port employee and headed off to look around.

St%20Lucia%202013%20PS7-M.jpg

St%20Lucia%202013%20PS92-L.jpg

At 10:15 we headed back to the tourist information desk to meet the driver. We waited, and waited, and...

The place was packed with people, so we verified with another representative that we were in the correct spot.

At 10:25 we really began to get anxious.

10:35, still no driver!:eek:

Then I remembered I had all my booking information on my phone on the Trip It app! Called them and Michael came and picked us up himself. (They use a third party driver).

At the office we met our guide, Sammy, and the only other two participants. They were on the training track getting instructions. We had ridden before, so it didn't need much time to get comfortable on the segway. :D

First stop, Sammy stops to tell us about the local plants and trees.

St%20Lucia%202013%20PS64-L.jpg

"Are those Mangos?"

"Yes, would you like one?"

"Yes, please!"

I could tell this was going to be another good day.

Sammy led the way up a hill, stopping with information along the way.

St%20Lucia%202013%20PS11-L.jpg

St%20Lucia%202013%20PS35-L.jpg

St%20Lucia%202013%20PS9-M.jpg

St%20Lucia%202013%20PS45-M.jpg

After everyone was comfortable with their machine, Sammy switched us from turtle to rabbit mode!

Further up a graveled path we go.

St%20Lucia%202013%20PS90-L.jpg

At the top we had an amazing view!

St%20Lucia%202013%20PS70-XL.jpg

Edited by cra-z-2cruise
mistaken entry

At the top, we crossed paths with the ship's tour. I think there were approximately 15 people on the tour.

I was really glad we had a small group, and Sammy, to ourselves.

We then hiked up a short distance to feed some fish in a pond.

St%20Lucia%202013%20PS46-L.jpg

Sammy led us to an old bunker, where he pulled out a machete and started cutting up fresh fruit for us. We had pineapple, oranges, mango. He also hacked the top off a coconut and we enjoyed coconut water.

While Sammy cleaned up, we were allowed to ride around on the segways.

Then Sammy took some pics for us.

St%20Lucia%202013%20PS99-L.jpg

On the way back, Sammy brought us by a small bar on the beach for a short visit.

St%20Lucia%202013%20PS75-L.jpg

St%20Lucia%202013%20PS25-L.jpg

St%20Lucia%202013%20PS77-L.jpg

Sammy was funny, super friendly, and a great guide.St%20Lucia%202013%20PS78-L.jpg

After a little bumpy start, we had an overall great experience with Lucian Style Tours and I would recommend and use them again.

Stopped by The Rum Shop for a quick drink, some music, and free wifi. :)

St%20Lucia%202013%20PS5-L.jpg

We opted to skip the second formal dinner, so after a quick shower we grabbed some sandwiches from the deli and headed up to Serenity for sail away.

St%20Lucia%202013%20PS105-M.jpg

St%20Lucia%202013%20PS43-L.jpg

St%20Lucia%202013%20PS2-L.jpg

Later we caught another movie out on lido deck.

Another great day!

St%20Lucia%202013%20PS62-L.jpg

Edited by cra-z-2cruise

St Kitts was the only island we didn't have plans for.

So, when we arrived at the port,

the plan was to get off and figure something out.:eek:

St%20Kitts%203013%20PS154-L.jpg

At the port entrance there were many vendors offering tours. One was a rep for an ATV with Spectrum.

My two DS's had done this tour in 2011 and it was a blast. However, the price had gone up significantly so I had dismissed it during planning.

They were offering $75 per person at the port, which was $20 less than the online price. Sold!

A short time later, we are on our way with our two new friends, a mother and daughter celebrating high school graduation.

After a few laps around the training track and we are off!

St%20Kitts%203013%20PS67-L.jpg

Our first stop was a tour of Romney Manor and the Batik factory.

St%20Kitts%203013%20PS16-L.jpg

Then it was time to get back on the ATV's for some action!

Our Guide for the day was Ivan Jr. He was sooooo much fun!

Their web site says they go as fast as their slowest rider.

What it should say is they go as fast as their fastest rider, then stop and wait for the rest, Lol!

I stayed right on Ivan's tail down a dirt trail.

At one point, he even challenged me to a race!

Of course he won, but what a blast!

We rode through a sugar cane crop, down to the ruins of an old sugar cane mill. St%20Kitts%203013%20PS46-L.jpg

St%20Kitts%203013%20PS83-L.jpg

St%20Kitts%203013%20PS25-L.jpg

St%20Kitts%203013%20PS128-L.jpg

St%20Kitts%203013%20PS111-L.jpgSt%20Kitts%203013%20PS188-L.jpg

Ivan gave us a great tour of the old mill, explained the history of the island, pointed out different plants and fruits, and even climbed a tree to get us each a mango.

St%20Kitts%203013%20PS37-L.jpg

St%20Kitts%203013%20PS103-L.jpg

Breadfruit, one of my new favorites (Thanks to Calabaza)

St%20Kitts%203013%20PS165-L.jpg

"Natural" tattoo

St%20Kitts%203013%20PS85-XL.jpg

Ivan stopped along the trail, climbed a palm tree, and knocked down a coconut for each of us.

Funny, but this coconut water tasted completely different from the one in St Lucia.

I thought this one was better.

St%20Kitts%203013%20PS54-L.jpg

St%20Kitts%203013%20PS30-L.jpg

St%20Kitts%203013%20PS142-L.jpg

Again, Ivan was a fantastic guide, and we had an amazing day with him.

After we got to talking, we figured out that his dad, Ivan Sr, was our guide back in 2011.

SK095-L.jpg

I would definitely recommend Spectrum, and Ivan, for a real adventure in St Kitts!

However, I recommend closed-toe shoes as opposed to the flip flops I had on! :)

We arrived back in port in early afternoon but we were a bit gritty from the tour.

We went back on board, showered, and headed back off for a look around.

St%20Kitts%203013%20PS31-L.jpg

We did a little shopping, then decided to stop at The Rum Bar for a little refreshment and some free wifi. :)

Plus, rum punch increases DH's patience with me and the wifi

St%20Kitts%203013%20PS152-L.jpg

These drinks should really come with a caution label! Tasty but very strong!

Back on board, we grabbed some pizza and listened to some music on deck.

St%20Kitts%203013%20PS21-L.jpg

Then headed to our balcony to enjoy sail away...Good-bye St Kitts

St%20Kitts%203013%20PS184-L.jpg

Great review!! Love your pictures!!

I have read several posts about people with monkey's in St. Kitts being too aggressive in trying to use the monkey's for pictures everywhere you go. Did you see any of this? We are booked for a tour with my island tours so hopefully if that is going on will cut down on some of it.

Beautiful pictures...I have never really considered a cruise from San Juan as we live in Montana and airfare there is crazy, but your pictures of Barbados are amazing. I LOVE Sea turtles.

Byw, I didn't know Valor still had live bands..woohoo..another reason to sail her.

Thanks for taking the time to post with so many pictures and recommendations for tours.

Beautiful pictures...I have never really considered a cruise from San Juan as we live in Montana and airfare there is crazy, but your pictures of Barbados are amazing. I LOVE Sea turtles.

Byw, I didn't know Valor still had live bands..woohoo..another reason to sail her.

Thanks for taking the time to post with so many pictures and recommendations for tours.

I may have missed it but not seeing where OP mentions "live bands"...

Great review!! Love your pictures!!

I have read several posts about people with monkey's in St. Kitts being too aggressive in trying to use the monkey's for pictures everywhere you go. Did you see any of this? We are booked for a tour with my island tours so hopefully if that is going on will cut down on some of it.

Yes there are many people with monkeys. However, I really wouldn't say they were so much aggressive as deceptive. They will generally approach people who seem curious, offer for them to hold it, then tell them they "owe" an amount of money. I only saw this in the immediate port area.