something to do in Miami

Heleftherakiss

My mom and I are arriving in Miami the day before our cruise (Sunday 3/30) and are looking for some suggestions on what to do with our day. We'll be arriving about 11:30 am and have a room at the Miami Doral Hyatt. I've never been to Florida and my mom only has when leaving for a cruise once before, so everything is new to us. We're looking to do something fairly inexpensive or free. We won't have a car so we'll need to use public transport/ taxi. If we had enough time I would have liked to go to Disney since I've never been (big kid at heart) but that's too far. Maybe a tour of some kind? A show? I'm kind of at a loss and would appreciate all suggestions. I'm 34 and my mom is early 60s and not at all "older" so no restrictions there. Thanks!

Doral is west of the MIA airport -- you are a long way from anything interesting unless you enjoy overpriced golf.

Take the hotel shuttle to the MIA airport and from there you can catch the Airport Flyer bus to South Beach for $2.35 each - Miami Beach, especially SB is the "Miami" you see in the TV shows and movies. Great art deco buildings, people watching, dining, drinks, galleries, etc. When you've had enough - or too much :o - catch the bus back to MIA and shuttle to your hotel.

Lots of good recommendations already. I would go to the Bayside Market Place and take the water taxi to South Beach and then I would get a table on the patio at Smith & Wolsenkys at around 4:00 and sit and watch the cruise ships leave. Although Smith & Wolenskys is an expensive steak house, you can sit on the patio and order drinks and maybe an appetizer.

I will check out the market place, thanks. Any food recommendations? I'm thinking cuban is a good idea, but my mom really loves seafood too.

At Bayside, you will find so many options of food you will have a hard time deciding what to eat! Most food places are upstairs.

If you want to see the Miami that is portrayed in movies and Tv shows, I'd take John's advice and head to South Beach. Google the flier and familiarize yourself with the area.

Or like someone mentioned the open air bus is a great way to see the whole area. It has a couple routes. It will cross from/to Miami to Miami Beach. Very nice for an overview. Again, google the hop on hop off bus.

Some good books and web sites will help you plan a nice day.

Edited by eandj

I will check out the market place, thanks. Any food recommendations? I'm thinking cuban is a good idea, but my mom really loves seafood too.

Not too far from the MIA airport and Doral is Versailles - the world famous Cuban restaurant; it would be worth a cab ride from your hotel if you are back for dinner.

My mom and I are arriving in Miami the day before our cruise (Sunday 3/30) and are looking for some suggestions on what to do with our day. We'll be arriving about 11:30 am and have a room at the Miami Doral Hyatt. I've never been to Florida and my mom only has when leaving for a cruise once before, so everything is new to us. We're looking to do something fairly inexpensive or free. We won't have a car so we'll need to use public transport/ taxi. If we had enough time I would have liked to go to Disney since I've never been (big kid at heart) but that's too far. Maybe a tour of some kind? A show? I'm kind of at a loss and would appreciate all suggestions. I'm 34 and my mom is early 60s and not at all "older" so no restrictions there. Thanks!

You NEED to rent a car. You'll spend a fortune in cab fare. Doral is literally its own city and is extremely inconvenient to any fun things to see or do.

We stayed at the Brickell Hampton Inn and loved it. We did not rent a car and used public transportation. It was me and my 2 daughters, 8 & 11 at the time. We went to the Miami Seaquarium and did the dolphin encounter. Way cheaper than on the islands and much more personal. We did take a taxi to the port that morning but we spent less than $50 for transportation for 3 days and the kids got a kick out of learning the public transportation system. They loved the Seaquarium!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app