another passport question...sorry

Hello All,

DH & I got our passports this past June so no problem there! Question is , his daughters , who live with their mother, want to cruise with us next July. Will they have to have passports by then ( I cant remember the date that they will be mandatory) or will the birth certificates still be all they need? I know its a good thing to have but to spend all that extra $$ & they not ever use them again seems like a waste. Also oldest daughter(22) wants to take her boyfrien & youngest (14) wants to take a friend ( getting more expensive by the minute!!LOL) do we have to have some sot of letter from the friends parents saying it is ok for them to travel & incase any medical attention is needed or something along those lines?

Thanks for any answers!:)

For everywhere but Canada and Mexico, the deadline is December 31st of this year, so yes, they will need passports. Some people will tell you that the deadlines are just proposals, but it is best not to wait, as proposals have a tendency to become rules/laws. Also, you never know that the passports won't be needed again. They last for 10 years. I use mine at home occasionally, not just for travel.

Yes, you will need a letter from the 14 year olds family giving you authorization to take him out of the country, for medical care, etc.

Just a note for those sceptics that don't think a passport isn't worth it. A salesman in our office recently lost or had his wallet stolen. Credit cards can be cancelled and replaced usually within 24 hours, but to get his new drivers license, all he needed was his passport. I alway have mine when traveling and keep seperate from my wallet. Don't leave home without one.

Stretch

Just a note for those sceptics that don't think a passport isn't worth it. A salesman in our office recently lost or had his wallet stolen. Credit cards can be cancelled and replaced usually within 24 hours, but to get his new drivers license, all he needed was his passport. I alway have mine when traveling and keep seperate from my wallet. Don't leave home without one.

Stretch

AMEN!!

Also-another reason for a passport. A lot of jobs are requiring U.S. citizen verification. It's easier if my kids just take the passport because some places have a hard time finding the state seal on birth certificates. Student passports-if they still have them are cheaper but good for fewer years.

As noted by a previous poster-having an ID that is acceptable for DL replacement is invaluable!

Archived