Where should we go???!!

Purplsmurf

We are real sunworshippers and were a bit pessimistic about the Alaska cruise on century. We booked it for the rocky mountain train and the cruise was thrown in as part of the package. How wrong could we be! It was absolutely fantastic. We spent 2 days sunbathing by the pool on sea days. There is so much to see and do and all very accessible. We loved it and are now hooked on Celebrity. We wouldnt do the rocky mountain train again though

Well, I called my mom and told her that we want to go to Alaska! She asked what changed our mind. I told her that I got good advice from here;) She will now be looking into it! Hopefully my brother and his family will agree as well! They are in their 60's so not old by any means so Europe would've been fun and affordable for them, but they have been on Europe cruises, Med, South America, South Pacific, Baltic, etc....but not Alaska yet so I think that is why they would like to go there. Everyone is right, it is their anniversary and even though THEY asked US where we want to go I think deep down Alaska is their choice! Now I am getting excited!! Thank you all for your great advice!! I appreciate it!! :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

YAY! You will have so much fun. Head over to the Alaska boards and start planning. With a group as large as yours, you will most definitely want to split up and let everyone do their own thing and then compare notes at the end of the day. Also check out CC's sister site, TripAdvisor, for additional ideas on what to do.

My take:

My personal favorite is always the Mediterranean...

BUT...taking ten people on a cruise to Europe from Wisconsin would get very pricey--airfare, pre-cruise hotel stays, expensive tours/excursions...

I don't know the financial status of the grandparents here, but, I will presume they aren't looking at dropping a small fortune here.

Even Alaska can get very pricey...For us, it was one of the most expensive vacations we ever took (We brought our then 18 and 20 year olds with us, booked two Sky Suites and did the 13 night Cruisetour and added 2 nights post-cruise in Vancouver...Plus, we did expensive excursions like the Helicopter Glacier Landing)...

From Wisconsin, it would be the most cost effective to fly down to Houston or Fort Lauderdale or Miami and do a 7-night Caribbean...where the typical port days might be walking around town and shopping or heading to a beach...

That would likely keep the kids happy...

BUT...IMHO...keeping the kids happy is only of secondary importance here...

The purpose of this cruise is for the GRANDPARENTS...and, if they've never been to Alaska, THAT IS WHERE YOU SHOULD GO...

The kids should learn to be gracious ...and to be thankful that they've been invited...

We dragged our kids on lots of cruises that weren't their first choice...and, you know what? They always found a way to enjoy themselves...

What is not to like about being on a cruise? Anywhere?

My take:

My personal favorite is always the Mediterranean...

BUT...taking ten people on a cruise to Europe from Wisconsin would get very pricey--airfare, pre-cruise hotel stays, expensive tours/excursions...

I don't know the financial status of the grandparents here, but, I will presume they aren't looking at dropping a small fortune here.

Even Alaska can get very pricey...For us, it was one of the most expensive vacations we ever took (We brought our then 18 and 20 year olds with us, booked two Sky Suites and did the 13 night Cruisetour and added 2 nights post-cruise in Vancouver...Plus, we did expensive excursions like the Helicopter Glacier Landing)...

From Wisconsin, it would be the most cost effective to fly down to Houston or Fort Lauderdale or Miami and do a 7-night Caribbean...where the typical port days might be walking around town and shopping or heading to a beach...

That would likely keep the kids happy...

BUT...IMHO...keeping the kids happy is only of secondary importance here...

The purpose of this cruise is for the GRANDPARENTS...and, if they've never been to Alaska, THAT IS WHERE YOU SHOULD GO...

The kids should learn to be gracious ...and to be thankful that they've been invited...

We dragged our kids on lots of cruises that weren't their first choice...and, you know what? They always found a way to enjoy themselves...

What is not to like about being on a cruise? Anywhere?

The kids aren't the ones who don't want to go to Alaska.....it is the parents! To be honest, I didn't originally and now I am excited about it. My husband was so so, but looking forward to it now. My brothers family really wasn't interested, but I'm sure they will be once we start the planning. My son...the youngest of the kids at 15.....is the one that REALLY wanted to go from the start. We have been on many Caribbean cruises with them so that isn't an option this time. They are all about making the kids happy and want to go where the kids want to go. If we wouldn't go to Alaska this time they could go on their own another time, but think our plan is now in motion. We aren't going until next summer so it will be awhile before I report back on this cruise. Thank you again everyone for the input. I really appreciate it!!!

Off Topic!

If you choke a Smurf, what color does he turn? :cool:

You're awesome. :D

And just so I don't totally waste a post - I have to agree with others, from what I've heard (as I've not yet ventured there but am looking at options currently) there is a lot to see and do in Alaska - esp during the summer months. I would definitely consider it. As another poster mentioned, if your parents haven't been there, and WANT to go there, it's a no brainer. Go there. If it's their 50th, they are blessed, and you are blessed to still have them both around. Let them live it up as long as they can!

Off Topic!

If you choke a Smurf, what color does he turn? :cool:

In my world.....PURPLE!! ;) my husband came up with this name over 20 years ago! Still don't know why, but a good conversation piece! :)......just mention Purplsmurf and we will probably answer!