NCL debit card with no benefits

coaster

We switched over a year ago to an NCL card that we thought provided perks. It was not easy as we had to switch automatic debits to the new NCL card. Soon after we received new cards in the mail that we found out only NCL credit card holders received any benefits. None for NCL debit card holders like us who provide free advertising every time we present our card. Call Bank of America to switch back to regular cards? Any honest opinions appreciated.

Edited by coaster

...Any honest opinions appreciated.

My opinion and only mine.

1 - I hate debit cards for travel. Actually do not like having a card that is tied the same account where mortgage, utilities, etc are paid from.

2 - Getting a card tied to one travel type such as NCL or Carnival or Delta is often a bad idea. If you tire of cruising, or using a particular line, those points are worth nothing.

3 - There are plenty of credit cards that give you points, usable perks or even cash back. And most of them are FREE. We carry multiple credit cards, with available credit if needed in an emergency while traveling. Debit cards are limited to your current balance.

None for NCL debit card holders like us who provide free advertising every time we present our card.

I'm sorry, but....wut? Seriously?

Seriously, it looks like you have opened up a Bank of America / Norweigian Cruise Line checking account which features a debit card with NCL's logo on it. In the future, I would read the account terms and any member agreements which would contain information about fees, points and other bonus programs.

Hope there's no fee for that account -- it is BofA, so I'm sure there is...

Thank you for your reply. These are NCL branded debit cards my family of 4 use all the time for travel and everything we purchase. We get no benefits with our NCL affinity debit cards with Bank of America debit cards according to Bank of America's customer service department. I am in the process of switching back to non branded cards as I speak with Bank of America customer service now. Why should my entire family promote a company with nothing in return?

Edited by coaster

..Why should my entire family promote a company with nothing in return?

Not sure what the "promote" thing is all about.

My question is why anyone would use a card that does not give points or miles or cash back at all?

You should be getting at least 1 point, 1 mile or 1% at a minimum. Some cards give 2% in cash back depending on your spending.

I would just skip using it and throw it away and use another card in your wallet. Or apply for one that makes more sense.

My question is why anyone would use a card that does not give points or miles or cash back at all?

You should be getting at least 1 point, 1 mile or 1% at a minimum. Some cards give 2% in cash back depending on your spending.

I would just skip using it and throw it away and use another card in your wallet. Or apply for one that makes more sense.

I agree. Why use a branded card with no perks? Bank of America is now sending out 4 new debit cards without the NCL logo and colors.

Edited by coaster

OP believes that presenting the cards at merchants constitutes promotion of NCL on OPs part and feels there should be rewards/points for that.

I wouldn't just throw it away. BofA undoubtedly has a monthly account fee. Better to close the account.

I wouldn't just throw it away. BofA undoubtedly has a monthly account fee. Better to close the account.

True. Makes it even worse. Wonder how much they get hit with an overdraft?

(another reason to avoid debit cards)

Same fees before I switched to the NCL branded cards. I feel it is promoting NCL as I get comments about NCL when I have presented my card in the past to various merchants. I will no longer be an ambassador for NCL. Who would be without a token benefit towards future NCL cruises? Honestly....

Edited by coaster

Same fees before I switched to the NCL branded cards. I feel it is promoting NCL as I get comments about NCL when I have presented my card in the past to various merchants. I will no longer be an ambassador for NCL. Who would be without a token benefit towards future NCL cruises? Honestly....

I'm curious as to how much you think NCL should "pay" you for using the branded debit card?

I find this all very interesting. I have carried a Delta AMEX for many years as it worked out well. We take a half dozen flights a year, etc. I also use a half dozen other credit cards as well.

But, I never, ever, ever thought I was "promoting" Delta in any stretch of the imagination. Pretty sure the only people that ever noticed were flight attendants on a Delta flight - and that was because they were TRAINED to notice.

What is BofA giving you for perks to promote there LOGO?

ROFLMAO.

Never even thought of that, but so true.

By the way, if I wear an IZOD shirt with the logo, will they pay me something?

And, that logo on my Northface jacket? Where do I collect.

Well when I got the card on the ship, I received 100.00 on board credit right away, used the reward points I received for paying for my charges on that cruise, and then parlayed them into an upgrade from oceanview to balcony grade cabin on my next cruise along with, another 50.00 on board credit to boot. It didn't cost me anything, no annual fee or what not. I thought I got a good deal. I don't carry a balance. I just used my card to get the rewards and paid the bill in full when it showed up. I guess it's like any other tool. Used properly you can build a palace. Used improperly you can bust your thumb!

Well when I got the card on the ship, I received 100.00 on board credit right away, used the reward points I received for paying for my charges on that cruise, and then parlayed them into an upgrade from oceanview to balcony grade cabin on my next cruise along with, another 50.00 on board credit to boot. It didn't cost me anything, no annual fee or what not. I thought I got a good deal. I don't carry a balance. I just used my card to get the rewards and paid the bill in full when it showed up. I guess it's like any other tool. Used properly you can build a palace. Used improperly you can bust your thumb!

Sorry, but you're not paying close enough attention.

What you got was the NCL CREDIT Card, which indeed has rewards associated with it. What the OP has is a BofA checking account with an NCL branded DEBIT card.

Two different animals.

Promoting by using a debit card? How often do you use such card that they should pay you for the advertisement? Also, cashiers don't really make much so how many of the people you show the card to can even afford to cruise? And how about all the self-serve-swipe-your-own card machines? Do you get a reward for those too?

Read the terms before signing up for anything. This is like the people who want the full price difference in OBC for their cruise in 3 days after the price drops.

Wow, why is everyone insulting this poster. They had a question and all people can do is ridicule him?

Best answer is to read terms and understand what you are signing up for. You can get cards that ate branded with something you enjoy for your own benefit and you can get cards that have creates attached. Generally debit cards will not have rewards or at least vary good ones. Credit cards may. Don't look at it as promoting. The reason you get rewards is because the financial institution issuing the card is sharing some of the fees they collect with you. Has nothing to do with promoting a product or business.

I hope that helps and I apologize for the responses you received. Totally uncalled for.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ok, I just read the other thread and although I still don't know why people that didn't know about the other thread acted the way they did, I don't appreciate my time being waisted by someone reposting something they started and got answers to years ago for whatever reason they have. Not cool coaster

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by furluvcats