Boarding the ship?

cris0716

Even though I've been on 7 cruises I know about what you need for the ports I just get nervous that we are going to forget something. I just wanted to make sure on Embarking. Thank you!

I would call the port ahead of time and just ask, just to be safe.

We've sailed out of three different ports--Jacksonville, Galveston and New Orleans. In Jacksonville and Galveston, the only documentation we needed for our son was his passport.

HOWEVER, in New Orleans, they required (for whatever reason) a copy of his birth certificate EVEN THOUGH he has his own passport and his last name matches ours. They matched the names on the birth certificate to our driver's licenses and his passport to make sure they all matched up. It was kind of bizarre, since we're not used to it.

I would call the port ahead of time and just ask, just to be safe.

We've sailed out of three different ports--Jacksonville, Galveston and New Orleans. In Jacksonville and Galveston, the only documentation we needed for our son was his passport.

HOWEVER, in New Orleans, they required (for whatever reason) a copy of his birth certificate EVEN THOUGH he has his own passport and his last name matches ours. They matched the names on the birth certificate to our driver's licenses and his passport to make sure they all matched up. It was kind of bizarre, since we're not used to it.

I absolutely believe your experience but some one was way off base. A passport is the trump card of ID. It proves citizenship and is a photo ID all in one. A birth certificate is a piece of paper. A passport is embedded with personal information.

. ...... Of course, you also must present their birth certificate along with it. Not a copy of it, a certified copy on the water mark paper or with the raised seal (depending on your state).

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app

Everyone must determine for themselves what documents they are comfortable using for travel. But according to Carnivals FAQ a copy of your original is fine. At one point the rules read a clear Xerox copy

From Carnivals FAQ:

Birth Certification Information

The following are acceptable:

An original birth certificate issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics*

A copy of a birth certificate issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics

A clear, legible copy of a birth certificate that was originally issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics. The*copy does not need to be notarized or certified.*

Birth Certificate Card

A Consular report of Birth Abroad

Also for the 16 and older group a valid photo id from school works.

This thread is over 2 years old so the original poster may not answer.

I can tell you though that if you get a state ID card issued through the DMV, that is accepted just as a driver's license. Of course, you also must present their birth certificate along with it. Not a copy of it, a certified copy on the water mark paper or with the raised seal (depending on your state).

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app

While it is best to bring the original a copy will work per the DHS regulations.

Everyone must determine for themselves what documents they are comfortable using for travel. But according to Carnivals FAQ a copy of your original is fine. At one point the rules read a clear Xerox copy

From Carnivals FAQ:

An original birth certificate issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics*

A copy of a birth certificate issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics

A clear, legible copy of a birth certificate that was originally issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics. The*copy does not need to be notarized or certified.*

Birth Certificate Card

I just came back from a cruise about 3 weeks ago and I took copies of mine and my husband's birth certificates that I made on our copier at home. They accepted them with no issue.

I did have the originals with me just in case, but they weren't needed.

OP. Your signature says you are 15 yr old with 60+ days at sea. You have obviously boarded a cruise before......

OP has probably boarded with parents and never gave a thought to the documents needed. :p

I actually had the idea that OP's original intent was to see what documents were needed so he/she could board without parents. (?)

Teens get odd ideas at times.

Wonder how that worked out? Being it was over two years ago. :)

From Carnivals FAQ:

Birth Certificate Card

How old is your ds?

I have 2 boys that are 13 and 10 (11 while on the cruise) and we are not getting passports for them. I was planning to use only their birth certificates in NOLA. We sale a month from today and now I'm worried that the bc won't be good enough. :confused: Is a bc all they are going to need or do they need an ID too?

How old is your ds?

I have 2 boys that are 13 and 10 (11 while on the cruise) and we are not getting passports for them. I was planning to use only their birth certificates in NOLA. We sale a month from today and now I'm worried that the bc won't be good enough. :confused: Is a bc all they are going to need or do they need an ID too?

Since they are under 16 they only need the birth certificates.