Bahai Mar Fort Lauderdale

bossymama

Has anyone stayed here recently? We are staying in Florida for 2 days after our 5 nighter on the Liberty in November, and this looks like a good location, with a bit of everything (beach, inland waterway, safe areas to walk to restaurants, etc).

And it is not too expensive. Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions? Thanks for your input!

Has anyone stayed here recently? We are staying in Florida for 2 days after our 5 nighter on the Liberty in November, and this looks like a good location, with a bit of everything (beach, inland waterway, safe areas to walk to restaurants, etc).

And it is not too expensive. Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions? Thanks for your input!

Haven't stayed in over a year, but it really is a great location and the rooms are great. The definition of "value" when looking for a beach hotel in Fort Lauderdale. Has a little bit of everything like you said and a water taxi stop right there so you can move around downtown Fort Lauderdale.

It's probably the most slept on location in the area . . . I'd go for it.

Not cruise related but I'm hoping someone can help me. My daughter asked me to help her find a hotel in Fort Lauderdale near the beach and Las Olas thats within walking distance to shops, food and activities since she's not 25 and can't rent a car. I was looking at this hotel too. Would this hotel fit this bill? I was also looking at Alhambra. Not sure which one would be better for her weekend vacation.

Royalcruz, anybody have any input on good, cheaper hotels in that area. I've done searches and looked at sunny.org but its really hard to tell the exact location of the hotels since I'm not that familiar with the area.

Edited by girlscruise2011

Thanks kdawg! I am assuming it was clean when you were there, or you probably would have mentioned otherewise. I am not a clean freak, but don't want to bring home any new "friends":)

Most definitely clean. It's rated 3 stars for a reason, it isn't upperclass, but I thought it was a nice hotel that really shines when it comes to location for anybody wanting to spend a day or 3 on Fort Lauderdale beach and have easy access to transportation (water taxi) to get around the city.

I'm sure like every other hotel they have their misses at the wrong time that rubs the right tourist the wrong way (which it should, they are paying good money for the location) . . . but it really is a good spot.

We almost had our Family Reunion here but it was a bit pricey (penalized by cruisers on the weekend which increase the price big time . . . anywhere in Fort Lauderdale) and decided to have it in Boca with roomier accomodations at the Embassy Suites at a much lower cost (plus free breakfast/parking/Happy Hour/cheaper banquet catering with better food options) . . . but that should give you an idea of what I thought about this hotel when it was on my short list of Family Reunion spots for us (over 100 people).

Edited by kdawg954

Not cruise related but I'm hoping someone can help me. My daughter asked me to help her find a hotel in Fort Lauderdale near the beach and Las Olas thats within walking distance to shops, food and activities since she's not 25 and can't rent a car. I was looking at this hotel too. Would this hotel fit this bill? I was also looking at Alhambra. Not sure which one would be better for her weekend vacation.

Royalcruz, anybody have any input on good, cheaper hotels in that area. I've done searches and looked at sunny.org but its really hard to tell the exact location of the hotels since I'm not that familiar with the area.

I've never stayed at the Alhambra but I've heard great things about it. It's the top rated hotel in Fort Lauderdale on TripAdvisor last time I checked. If you can get it at a similar price as the Bahia Mar I'd definitely lean that way.

I personally think for a young adult in that 25 and under range w/o transportation, the Bahia Mar is in a bit of a better location w/ Water Taxi Access right there, Beach Place a bit closer and the Fort Lauderdale Beach Park right across the street. It definitely would fit a 25 & under crowd "more" than Alhambra.

If you do decide Alhambra remember it's a small type resort and they run out of availability alot quicker than the Bahia Mar.

Either way both are situated real nice on A1A about a 10 minute walk from each other, so location is truly a moot point.

I've never stayed at the Alhambra but I've heard great things about it. It's the top rated hotel in Fort Lauderdale on TripAdvisor last time I checked. If you can get it at a similar price as the Bahia Mar I'd definitely lean that way.

I personally think for a young adult in that 25 and under range w/o transportation, the Bahia Mar is in a bit of a better location w/ Water Taxi Access right there, Beach Place a bit closer and the Fort Lauderdale Beach Park right across the street. It definitely would fit a 25 & under crowd "more" than Alhambra.

If you do decide Alhambra remember it's a small type resort and they run out of availability alot quicker than the Bahia Mar.

Either way both are situated real nice on A1A about a 10 minute walk from each other, so location is truly a moot point.

Thank you for the input. Thats a good point with the Bahia Mar with the Water Taxi access since I told my daughter thats a great way to get around Ft. Lauderdale so that may make it a big plus.

I just want to make sure she's safe plus has things in the area to walk to. Taking cabs can get costly so she needs to be somewhere with easy access.

Thank you for the input. Thats a good point with the Bahia Mar with the Water Taxi access since I told my daughter thats a great way to get around Ft. Lauderdale so that may make it a big plus.

I just want to make sure she's safe plus has things in the area to walk to. Taking cabs can get costly so she needs to be somewhere with easy access.

Actually your decision may be a little easier, I just read that the Alhambra requires you to be 25 or older to check in plus they may require 3 night minimum reservations.

In the end, both hotels are in great spots. She won't be further than 10 minutes from anywhere on the beach and water taxi access is withiin 5 minutes. Alhambra is highly rated so I'd lean there if the prices are close . . . but I don't think that will be the case. Bahia Mar is perfectly fine for her.

Actually your decision may be a little easier, I just read that the Alhambra requires you to be 25 or older to check in plus they may require 3 night minimum reservations.

In the end, both hotels are in great spots. She won't be further than 10 minutes from anywhere on the beach and water taxi access is withiin 5 minutes. Alhambra is highly rated so I'd lean there if the prices are close . . . but I don't think that will be the case. Bahia Mar is perfectly fine for her.

She is staying for more the 3 nights, probably 4-5 depending on flights but she's not 25 so I guess the Alhambra is out. A friend recommended the Courtyard above Bubba Gumps but its about $150 more for the timeframe she's looking at. She's young. She can walk :)

Thank you again.

I personally think for a young adult in that 25 and under range w/o transportation, the Bahia Mar is in a bit of a better location w/ Water Taxi Access right there, Beach Place a bit closer and the Fort Lauderdale Beach Park right across the street....

Kdawg, I think you might be confusing Alhambra with a different hotel, as it is only 2 blocks north of Beach Place, on Alhambra St. Bahia Mar is 7 blocks south of Beach Place. Alhambra is a half block west of A1A. These hotels are close to a mile apart.

Bahia Mar would be perfect for your daughter. It is usually the least expensive of all the chain hotels at the beach. Sometimes low rates are also found at BestWestern Oceanside, Westin, Sheraton, and Courtyard, but Bahia Mar usually comes in the cheapest. I would avoid Bahia Mar and Tropic Cay (both get lots of bad reviews). There are a lot of small privately run hotels but I don't know how they are...I would put stock in the bad reviews on tripadvisor because the good reviews can be written by the owners' friends.

Edited by royalcruz

Kdawg, I think you might be confusing Alhambra with a different hotel, as it is only 2 blocks north of Beach Place, on Alhambra St. Bahia Mar is 7 blocks south of Beach Place. Alhambra is a half block west of A1A. These hotels are close to a mile apart.

Yep I misspoke, I meant to say both were under 10 minutes from Beach Place but didn't realize Alhambra was so close to Beach Place. I know from the Bahia Mar it didn't seem far at all when I was there but Alhambra is definitely closer.

I found myself at Fat Tuesday's/Sonic every day/night while staying at the Bahia Mar and it was an easy walk.

Water Taxi Access real easy at both spots.

We have stayed at Bahia Mar on a couple pre/post cruise occasions. Coming from the cold usually in Feb., we want to be near the beach, not on the busy 17th St. located chain hotels like Embassy. And we don't wnt to go over our normal budget for just a" home base". This hotel is always less than other beach hotels. Easy over the road walking bridge right to the beach.

It is a good safe location. The water taxi stop is within a couple blocks. The closest restaurant ( other than the small hotel restaurant/bar..which is good) is Bahia Cabana, a fun outdoor casual spot right on the marina. (great fish sandwiches) Other restaurants in walking distance. Too there is a 24 hour convenience store and take out restaurant right next door to the hotel. Good for snacks and sandwiches, breakfasts etc. If you don't want to walk too far, the Sun trolley stops right out front and can take you up 17th st to shop/eat or to Las Olas Blvd. City bus also is available.

The best rooms there are in the tower. We get a part ocean/part marina view room facing south. Best views in our opinion. The 3 story older bldg is cheaper, but is separate from the tower and not too great on views. We have found the rooms clean and ok. Not 4 star, but better than an airport hotel!

If my daughter was looking...I'd send her to Bahia over the Alahambra....No question.

Edited by eandj

Bahia Mar would be perfect for your daughter. It is usually the least expensive of all the chain hotels at the beach. Sometimes low rates are also found at BestWestern Oceanside, Westin, Sheraton, and Courtyard, but Bahia Mar usually comes in the cheapest. I would avoid Bahia Mar and Tropic Cay (both get lots of bad reviews). There are a lot of small privately run hotels but I don't know how they are...I would put stock in the bad reviews on tripadvisor because the good reviews can be written by the owners' friends.

Royalcruz, thank you but I'm confused by your statement. You say Bahia Mar would be perfect for my daughter but then you say you would avoid Bahia Mar and Tropic Cay:confused: Is there more then one Bahia Mar? Are the other hotels you mention in the same area? Close to the beach? Las Olas?

We have stayed at Bahia Mar on a couple pre/post cruise occasions. Coming from the cold usually in Feb., we want to be near the beach, not on the busy 17th St. located chain hotels like Embassy. And we don't wnt to go over our normal budget for just a" home base". This hotel is always less than other beach hotels. Easy over the road walking bridge right to the beach.

It is a good safe location. The water taxi stop is within a couple blocks. The closest restaurant ( other than the small hotel restaurant/bar..which is good) is Bahia Cabana, a fun outdoor casual spot right on the marina. (great fish sandwiches) Other restaurants in walking distance. Too there is a 24 hour convenience store and take out restaurant right next door to the hotel. Good for snacks and sandwiches, breakfasts etc. If you don't want to walk too far, the Sun trolley stops right out front and can take you up 17th st to shop/eat or to Las Olas Blvd. City bus also is available.

The best rooms there are in the tower. We get a part ocean/part marina view room facing south. Best views in our opinion. The 3 story older bldg is cheaper, but is separate from the tower and not too great on views. We have found the rooms clean and ok. Not 4 star, but better than an airport hotel!

If my daughter was looking...I'd send her to Bahia over the Alahambra....No question.

eandj, thank you for your review. It does sound like it will be perfect place for her. I wanted to make sure.

Edited by girlscruise2011

Royalcruz, thank you but I'm confused by your statement. You say Bahia Mar would be perfect for my daughter but then you say you would avoid Bahia Mar and Tropic Cay:confused: Is there more then one Bahia Mar? Are the other hotels you mention in the same area? Close to the beach? Las Olas?

eandj, thank you for your review. It does sound like it will be perfect place for her. I wanted to make sure.

Royal "misspoke". Bahia Mar's location and pricing make it a good moderate BEACH hotel. If one is looking for a "resort" with those kinds of amenities, then not so much.

OOps! Sorry, I meant to say avoid Bahia Cabana (Days Inn) motel. Thanks for catching that. The well-rated hotels I mentioned are in the same beach area...Sheraton and Best Western are a couple of blocks south of Bahia Mar. Courtyard Marriott is a couple of blocks north of Bahia Mar. Westin is about a mile north of Bahia Mar. The closest of these to Las Olas is Courtyard, but the downtown neighborhood of Las Olas starts about a mile or 2 west of the beach anyway.

Edited by royalcruz

OOps! Sorry, I meant to say avoid Bahia Cabana (Days Inn) motel. Thanks for catching that. The well-rated hotels I mentioned are in the same beach area...Sheraton and Best Western are a couple of blocks south of Bahia Mar. Courtyard Marriott is a couple of blocks north of Bahia Mar. Westin is about a mile north of Bahia Mar. The closest of these to Las Olas is Courtyard, but the downtown neighborhood of Las Olas starts about a mile or 2 west of the beach anyway.

Thank you again for the recommendations and confirming Bahia Cabana was the correct one.

This is her first grown up vacation without the parents. She's always cruised with us so of course, being the mother, I have to make sure she's in a safe area.

Thank you again for the recommendations and confirming Bahia Cabana was the correct one.

This is her first grown up vacation without the parents. She's always cruised with us so of course, being the mother, I have to make sure she's in a safe area.

There are no unsafe neighborhoods at the beach in Fort Lauderdale. :) Of course, the safest is to stay in the big chain hotels because they are on the main rd and they probably have better security and locks on the doors. You wouldn't want her to end up walking down the litttle side streets alone at night because even though the crime rate is low, you never know. I'm sure she'll have a great time.

Edited by royalcruz

There are no unsafe neighborhoods at the beach in Fort Lauderdale. :) Of course, the safest is to stay in the big chain hotels because they are on the main rd and they probably have better security and locks on the doors. You wouldn't want her to end up walking down the litttle side streets alone at night because even though the crime rate is low, you never know. I'm sure she'll have a great time.

Thats good to know. I will tell her to stay on the main strip. She's going with her BF so she won't be alone per say but you always have to be aware no matter how safe you feel.

Thank you again for all your help with this and cruise related :D

Royal,

Please confirm that the Bahia Cabana is the one to avoid. The replies are not clear to me. I've stayed at the Bahia Mar and it is decent but personally would never stay at the Bahia Cabana, although the restaurant is ok.