Help!!!!!!!

Island Crazed

We are two weeks out and I don't know what to do!!

I thought we'd just go to Paradise Beach - We are laid-back folks looking for a beach with a bit of snorkeling. BUT there are 7 ships in Coz on 4/8. Should we go to Chankanaab Park instead? I want to opportunity to stay at least 4 or 5 hours. We have our own snorkel gear so we would just need food. We don't drink much so all inclusives don't make sense for us.

ANY IDEAS ARE WELCOME!! (We visited in 08 and went to PB - and liked it then.)

THANKS

Playa Palancar offers snorkeling although I've never done it the 8 times I've been there. It is pay as you go, no admission and the food/drink prices are reasonable. Since it is one of the furthest beaches from the piers it tends to be less crowded.

about-as-crowded-as-it.jpg.926c8c2cfc9841057018206b48da8185.jpg

the-beach-at-playa-palancar.jpg.f32fe0c187457da8f3fe915749c9464a.jpg

Of the 2 Money Bar will be the most crowded with 7 ships in as it's the closest to the piers. And also the better shore snorkeling site. Play Palancar will be less so as it's the furthest (and most expensive taxi). But the beach is better and the food and drinks are very good.

Chank will be crowded as there's a ton of things to do there besides beach and many ships have excursions to there.

I second both of the above suggestions.

Palancar is not supposed to be very good snorkeling from the beach but they do offer a boat ride snorkel (for a fee) out to a reef which is supposed to be good. Because the beach is further away taxi is a little more, about $20 each way for up to 4 people, Contact for further details

http://www.buceopalancar.com/index_en.html

Money has good snorkeling from shore but does not have large sandy beach. We were there just a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed several hours on the loungers. There are a few hammocks in the shade or tables with chairs and umbrellas. Food and drink PAYG and no fee for snorkeling.

http://www.moneybarbeachclub.com/index.htm Taxi about $10 each way.

Another option you might consider for shore snorkeling Buccanos, in the north.

http://www.buccanos.com/Buccanos-Bar-Grill.htm

Taxi about $15 each way. I wrote a short review here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=41523190&postcount=2

Edited by c-leg5

Thanks to everyone. I am not sure what to do yet but I feel better about my ideas. I did add Palancar to the mix after I first posted the thread. It looks like a possibility. I don't know if the girls would want to boat out to snorkel or not. We have water stops the next two days. I hate to pre-book too much in case the weather is off.

As of now I am thinking I'll cut Chankanaab Park because it probably will be crowded. BUT I am still open to opinions.

:D

How old are the girls? For adults, Money Bar and Palancar are good less crowded options, as has been pointed out. But with children, adds a new wrinkle.

Assuming they're tweens or younger, Palancar doesn't have water toys (or didn't) neither does Albert's next door. Chank has a lot of things that younger children like, so don't completely rule it out.

You can talk to the taxi stand captain and your taxi driver and stop by Chank on the way down, take a qick look at the crowds and then either hop back into the taxi and head to Palancar or pay the driver and let him go. Do the same for PB and Mr Sanchos or even Playa Mia for that matter. if you're not the first ship to arrive and you're not the first people off your ship, chances are the taxi stand captain or the driver can give you a sense of which beach is getting the traffic before you even leave the pier.

Key is to have one definite go-to beach, but be flexible if something else grabs your interest.

• 3 weeks later...

We're back - today - we went to Palancar. Weather was just ok. The water was VERY ROUGH. We tried to do their snorkel excursion. Lets say I would try it again if I knew conditions were good. Food and service was great.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app