Upgrade Fairy...Don't Think It is Worth It...

dkay1211

Sailing on Carnival Legend in May....booked in a balcony cabin. Offered a Junior Suite for $780 more. Looks a little roomier and like the jetted tub, but with already having the balcony booked, doesn't really seem worth it....opinions?? :D

Quite often the difference between a balcony and OS is $780 or more PER PERSON. We would have jumped on it in a heartbeat. You have to look at value vs only looking at price. The larger cabin and bath is so worth it to us.

Edited by DebJ14

Quite often the difference between a balcony and OS is $780 or more PER PERSON. We would have jumped on it in a heartbeat. You have to look at value vs only looking at price. The larger cabin and bath is so worth it to us.

The OP was offered a Jr. suite not an OS. The Jr. Suite is smaller than the OS. But I agree, it is cool to get the call anyway. :)

My family and I (4) are on the Freedom on 04/13/2014. We are booked in a 8D balcony on The Verandah Deck mid-ship for $2268.00 with a $70.00 OBC. We got and upsell call for a Grand Suite for an extra $850.00. I politely declined. We do not spend much time in our cabin also while the 3 ladies get ready for dinner I usually go up to the Spa for my shower and change. I think you made a good choice. Have a great cruise!!

Not sure how close your cruise was, however the both time I have been offered an upgrade from a balcony to a suite it was much less. $300 total on a 5 day cruise, and $450 total on an 8 day cruise. It took both offers but $700 plus I probably would not have.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 5 weeks later...

Talking to the upgrade fairy now for conquest sailing.

Currently have balcony (8C) on Empress and can upgrade to Ocean Suite on Empress for $520.

There will be three of us in the room (2 adults, 1 4-yr-old).

What say you, Cruise Critic?

(Totally meant to post this as a new post, BTW...)

Edited by cbsmama

Currently have balcony (8C) on Empress and can upgrade to Ocean Suite on Empress for $520.

Personally, I think that's a pretty good deal. If you can afford it and you want to I would!

Personally I would pass on that one but it all depends upon if you think that it is worth that extra amount.

If your child was older and took up more space than maybe it would. 520.00 could pay for a lot of shore excursions and beverages. I would pass since you already have a balcony. Have a great cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

call me a sucker but the upgrade fairy called the other day for us.. upgraded from balcony on deck 6 to a ocean suite on deck 7... we figured why not... YOLO!! but that is us though.. celebrating 15 year anniversary so it is for a special occasion.. if it wasnt we would have just passed and stayed with our original cabin. to each their own with what you want to do.. :D

You can always try making a counter offer. I was not impressed with the initial offer the Upsale Fairy offered me a couple days ago so I countered with a different offer and he accepted. Moved from a Extended Aft Balcony to a Vista Suite. Only problem is that once we sail I do not think my wife will ever want another room. :D

My offer was $450 - Aft Balcony to Ocean Suite and I took it.

I love spending time in my cabin.

I'll also be traveling with my stepdaughter and we've never shared close quarters before so the extra space will be really nice.

It's her first cruise too - can't wait :D

My thought is this:

If it significantly upgrades my experience, I'm likely to do it. If it does not, I won't unless the price is so good that it's impossible to say no to.

For example, going from an oceanview/inside room to a balcony is a huge upgrade in the experience for me. (I have a young family so we spend more time in the room than most.) So, for a good price (less than book, of course) I would seriously consider it.

Going from a balcony room to a junior suite (or even OS) does not really do much to my experience. It gets me some additional SF (which is, indeed, nice) and a bigger bathroom (most of the time) but it doesn't really change anything else. So, unless a no-brainer value, I will likely decline every time and use the funds for on-board activities, shore excursions, etc that directly impact my experience.

That said, if it was a special occasion (a milestone anniversary, for example) I would consider it just for the yolo factor.

To each his/her own though. It's your vacation.

Edited by GalvestonBear