The Star vs The Grand

Weluv2cruise2007

We looked at both and decided to cruise on the Star. We booked a Penthouse suite and liked the idea of sailing out of SF. We have been on a lot of cruises but this will be our first cruise on the Pacific Ocean and our first with Princess. I read many reviews of both ships and it seems that most people prefer the Star.

We have sailed on both and I would sail the Star if given a choice. We just got off the Grand, and while we had a great time and she is a beautiful ship, the Star just has something the Grand doesn't. However a cruise is a cruise and I am sure you would have a wonderful time on the Grand.

We didn't find the closets to be a problem in our Grand mini suite, and we were a family of four in one cabin. In fact we could have fit more clothes and a couple more suitcases! My husband and I did decide we would probably always need a mini if we take our boys as the second tv and living room space was such a plus. But this is any mini on any ship.

Whenever there is a ship A vs. ship B comparison it can lead to some feeling like they made a mistake picking the wrong ship. But a cruise is what you make it and all the ships in the fleet are beautiful I their own right. While the Grand is by no means my favorite Princess ship, I would sail her again if the itinerary and price are right. Btw we found the staff to be very friendly, especially out MDR wait staff. We miss them!

Just out of curiosity ...for those who book suites...do you just pay by the suite price or does the cruise line charge you by per person.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

All cabins on Princess are priced PP, based on double occupancy.

They do have a single fare at roughly 200% of the fare.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

...We didn't find the closets to be a problem in our Grand mini suite, and we were a family of four in one cabin. In fact we could have fit more clothes and a couple more suitcases! My husband and I did decide we would probably always need a mini if we take our boys as the second tv and living room space was such a plus. But this is any mini on any ship...
The mini's on the Grand have the same closet arrangement as mini's on all other Grand class ships. It is only the balcony and lower cabins that have the smaller closets. Our first cruise on the Grand was in a mini near the aft stairway and as a result didn't know that the closets were smaller. Also didn't realize that there was no center stairway above the Promenade deck as we never tried to use it :eek:

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by IECalCruiser

Also didn't realize that there was no center stairway above the Promenade deck as we never tried to use it :eek:

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Oh yes, the missing center stairway. We got caught with this at least once and was the hot topic of conversation in several elevator trips. Due to traveling with my semi disabled mother, we were in an aft mini on dolphin, near the aft elevators and stairwell. Very convenient for the Botocelli dining room. Mom still took the elevator but we could quickly get where we wanted via the stairs. We liked this location and will consider it again on our next cruise.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this. I have been worried silly about my cruise in September on the Grand. I can now breathe a little easier.

I love the Diamond and Sapphire. (As well as the Coral and Island) Not quite as keen on the Golden lay out, but it wouldn't stop me from sailing on her again.

Is it safe to say the Star and Grand are more similar to the Golden, then say the Sapphire? (I hate that the adult aft pool is pretty much covered by what I assume is Skywalkers on the Golden.)

The aft pool is fully exposed and lots of sunny spots to lounge throughout the entire aft area of the ship (4-5 levels)

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this. I have been worried silly about my cruise in September on the Grand. I can now breathe a little easier.

I love the Diamond and Sapphire. (As well as the Coral and Island) Not quite as keen on the Golden lay out, but it wouldn't stop me from sailing on her again.

Is it safe to say the Star and Grand are more similar to the Golden, then say the Sapphire? (I hate that the adult aft pool is pretty much covered by what I assume is Skywalkers on the Golden.)

For people who have dealt with skin cancer, the shade from Skywalkers on the Star, Golden and Caribbean makes it much easier to enjoy the aft views and the Terrace Pool. We have almost always found some sunny and shady areas around the Terrace Pool on the Star (and the Golden). With the removal of Skywalkers on the Grand, the Terrace Pool area is totally uncovered. People have different priorities when they cruise.

For people who have dealt with skin cancer, the shade from Skywalkers on the Star, Golden and Caribbean makes it much easier to enjoy the aft views and the Terrace Pool. We have almost always found some sunny and shady areas around the Terrace Pool on the Star (and the Golden). With the removal of Skywalkers on the Grand, the Terrace Pool area is totally uncovered. People have different priorities when they cruise.

There is always plenty of shade back there, but I like some sun on me as I swim.:)

Just off the Grand two weeks ago for seven nights. And have sailed Star also and have it booked again for Alaska in September. The closets are bigger on the Star as mentioned, but we still had plenty of room to unpack everything. Service and food on the Grand was great! Beds were comforatable. All in all we thought ship was in very good condition. It's been a couple of years since I was on the Star, but did like the bigger closets like on the Sapphire.

.too many old people....by the 8th day...the corridors smells like seniors home...

How sad for you that with luck you, too, might get old and smell up the corridors. Well, maybe you won't live that long, so I guess there's hope for you.

Grand, Golden and Star Princesses are the original Grand Class trio and are quite similar. Sapphire and Diamond Princesses built on the same basic platform. Cabin arrangements are the same (with the larger closets in the standard balcony cabins), and the basic layout of the public areas are also the same. Skywalkers on the later two ships was moved forward so that it sits directly behind the funnel and so allows sun over the aft pool areas. Since Skywalkers was removed from Grand Princess, the same situation is there. Sapphire and Diamond have the four anytime dining rooms while the original trio have only the two. Sapphire and Diamond incorporated the Thermal Suite that debuted on Star Princess. And everybody has that silly central stair except Grand Princess.

Again I really think that your experience will be fine no matter which ship you choose as long as your choice includes the amenities that you are looking for.

Grand, Golden and Star Princesses are the original Grand Class trio and are quite similar. Sapphire and Diamond Princesses built on the same basic platform. Cabin arrangements are the same (with the larger closets in the standard balcony cabins), and the basic layout of the public areas are also the same. Skywalkers on the later two ships was moved forward so that it sits directly behind the funnel and so allows sun over the aft pool areas. Since Skywalkers was removed from Grand Princess, the same situation is there. Sapphire and Diamond have the four anytime dining rooms while the original trio have only the two. Sapphire and Diamond incorporated the Thermal Suite that debuted on Star Princess. And everybody has that silly central stair except Grand Princess.

Again I really think that your experience will be fine no matter which ship you choose as long as your choice includes the amenities that you are looking for.

Thanks!

Grand, Golden and Star Princesses are the original Grand Class trio and are quite similar. Sapphire and Diamond Princesses built on the same basic platform. Cabin arrangements are the same (with the larger closets in the standard balcony cabins), and the basic layout of the public areas are also the same. Skywalkers on the later two ships was moved forward so that it sits directly behind the funnel and so allows sun over the aft pool areas. Sapphire and Diamond have the four anytime dining rooms while the original trio have only the two. Sapphire and Diamond incorporated the Thermal Suite that debuted on Star Princess. And everybody has that silly central stair except Grand Princess.

Sapphire and Diamond also have wider promenade decks, which can accomodate lounge chairs, so you can recline with your feet up and enjoy the views. They also have the unique four dining rooms (that you mention) which are completely different in decor (Pacific Moon, Savoy, Vivaldi, and Santa Fe), and feel more like eating in a restaurant. In addition, they have the little used (and hidden) Wake View Bars, which most guests never find, yet are perfect if you are looking for an area to get away from everyone to enjoy a book, or some private time with another. In my mind, the Sapphire is the best ship in the Princess fleet, and that includes the Royal. :) Sorry to be losing her.

Though you call that central stairway "silly", I call it essential, and use it more than the other two ;) :).

Like the Sapphire and the Diamond, the Star also has a shower in the men's locker room, where the Grand is unfortunately lacking it (recently confirmed on another thread), making the Grand's spa much less desirable, for yet another reason.

We are also thinking about going on one of these Cruises. Our kids will be 14 and 15 at the time (and they looove the teen club), would you still recommend Star? :)

Sorry for my ignorance, but people are talking about Elua, who is this, can someone tell me!? From Europe, so this is all new!

Thanks!!

Sorry for my ignorance, but people are talking about Elua, who is this, can someone tell me!? From Europe, so this is all new!

Elua is a husband and wife team of Hawaiian musicians who perform on the ship. They also conduct hula lessons. lei making classes, and ukulele classes. They are also super nice people.

5454175824_4f303eafc9_z.jpg