New solo traveller looking for some advice

FleetingFalcon

So I'm new around here. I'm looking to change gears a little bit and do some world traveling. I don't have any plans yet, but I'd probably want to do a couple one-way cruises that I could get a deal on by waiting around, jumping on last minute when possible. I'll be doing some freelance work, but internet isn't much of an issue; that's for when I'm not sailing. I know this is vague, but anyone have any experience with this kind of free form trip? Thanks

-c

I think you're on to something. One way (so-called "repositioning") cruises often have a lower cost per day, and in my opinion are the most interesting because they often include seldom-visited ports. The downside is you might get burned by one way airfare, especially if booking at the last minute.

Regarding last minute cruises, I've typically found the best fares at about 2 weeks out. But there is no set logic to this...anything is possible.

I think you're on to something. One way (so-called "repositioning") cruises often have a lower cost per day, and in my opinion are the most interesting because they often include seldom-visited ports. The downside is you might get burned by one way airfare, especially if booking at the last minute.

Regarding last minute cruises, I've typically found the best fares at about 2 weeks out. But there is no set logic to this...anything is possible.

Check out the cruise line Choice Air program for reasonable prices for one way travel that can't be found on any "traditional" online web sites. In my case I was looking for UK to Vancouver, one way, and the "big" airlines, i.e. BA, Virgin-Atlantic, Air Canada, were providing prices for one way that were double the price of a return flight. (I thought I would have to book a return and then just not use the return leg!) When I looked at the cruiseline's Choice Air I realized that it was possible to get a one-way ticket at a one-way price and am now booked with Virgin-Atlantic for my return from a TA in May! Not sure how they work for last minute bookings though I only booked my flight 2 months out from my trip.

For last minute cruises with lower solo supplement check out the Tuesday specials (for RCCL and Celebrity) - they seem to list cruises 4-6 weeks out - they sometimes include their repositioning routes.

Most of my cruises have only been booked between 1 to 3 months out from the cruise date, as I'll watch the prices and try to "jump" when I see a good deal - the only drawback is that there's usually not much choice of cabin location, so as long as you're happy to take whatever is available, it can work out.

The exception to this rule is the new solo cabins appearing during refurb of some of the RCCL ships - there are so few of the cabins available they seem to be getting booked up as soon as the schedules come out. In fact I've booked one for next year on a Baltic route, as I've been watching the prices and they don't seem to drop. I've never booked a cruise that far in advance before!

So I'm new around here. I'm looking to change gears a little bit and do some world traveling. I don't have any plans yet, but I'd probably want to do a couple one-way cruises that I could get a deal on by waiting around, jumping on last minute when possible. I'll be doing some freelance work, but internet isn't much of an issue; that's for when I'm not sailing. I know this is vague, but anyone have any experience with this kind of free form trip? Thanks

-c

I get the feeling from this post that you're looking more for a see-the-world adventure and not really a cruising vacation. If that is the case, consider freighter cruises - you'll see different places and have truly different experiences on board than being treated like you're in a hotel at sea. They require you to be fairly flexible in your timing though, which sounds like it's more your style and ability now.

It's that last part that's kept me from trying it - I don't have the ability now to be a day or two late arriving or leaving, etc.

What countries that you want to visit, do you need a visa for? How long will it take to get any visas you need? That will limit your last-minute flexibility.

That questions cannot easily be answered. It varies based on your country of origin. Then it depends on the country you are going to to know how long it takes to get; some visas can be paid for right at the entrance of the country others require weeks/months in advanced.

However cruises try to go to places that don't require a visa the passengers have to order in advance.

However cruises try to go to places that don't require a visa the passengers have to order in advance.

Huh? That's kind of vague. I know of several cruises that go many places that require visas to be obtained in advance (Brazil, Russia (sometimes), India, Vietnam, Sri Lanka, Turkey (sometimes), China.....among others).