Just off yangzi explorer yichang to chongqing

RachelG

We just finished a 4 day cruise on the Yangtze from yichang to Chongqing aboard the yangzi explorer. It is advertised as the most luxurious boat on the Yangtze, and while I can't vouch for that 100%, it was very nice and definitely much nicer than other river boats we saw.

Our cabins were quite large, much larger than any other river boat we have been on, with firm large beds, flat screen tv with CNN and BBC, frig stocked with water, beer and soft drinks, a bathroom big enough for two people to function at one time, balcony with 2 chairs and a table.

Public areas were nicely decorated though the carpet could use replacing. Staff was great with most speaking passable English. The CD is American and a great guy.

Meals are buffet for breakfast and lunch. Dinner is al la carte except the last night which is a Chinese feast served family style. Breakfast was probably the reliably best meal as they had good Chinese and western choices. Some things at lunch were great, some not so much (like chicken curry with the skin left on, and sweet and sour fish). Chinese stuff tended to be better than western at lunch and dinner. They had salad which was safe to eat which was really wonderful.

One excursion per day was included, and on 2 days, there ws an optional excursion offered for a reasonable price. These were quite good.

The spa is huge and awesome. Best foot massage ever! Prices were quite fair.

Any questions I will try to answer. We booked this through Ker and Downey, but I gather that Abercrombie and Kent has some sort of arrangement with them and is where most people book. I definitely think that china is not a place to try to save money on accommodation or food!