Venice to Venice Recommendations

Spree75

Hi All,

Hoping to get some feedback from those that have sailed the Adriatic. My partner and I are planning on one of the Venice-Venice trips which there seems to be two flavors. One stops at Gallipoli, Fiskardo, Katakalon, Corfu, Dubrovnik, Split, and Opatija. The other goes to Triluke Bay, Dubrovnik, Brindisi, Igoumenesta, Vathi, Kotor, Hvar, and Rovinj.

I suppose going on a back to back would be the best bet but we can't spare the 21 days... That being said, I've heard Kotor is a fantastic port. Is it something not be missed (in which case the second itinerary). Same deal with Corfu and Split on the other itinerary.

Thanks for your help in advance,

Jeff

Hi All,

Hoping to get some feedback from those that have sailed the Adriatic. My partner and I are planning on one of the Venice-Venice trips which there seems to be two flavors. One stops at Gallipoli, Fiskardo, Katakalon, Corfu, Dubrovnik, Split, and Opatija. The other goes to Triluke Bay, Dubrovnik, Brindisi, Igoumenesta, Vathi, Kotor, Hvar, and Rovinj.

I suppose going on a back to back would be the best bet but we can't spare the 21 days... That being said, I've heard Kotor is a fantastic port. Is it something not be missed (in which case the second itinerary). Same deal with Corfu and Split on the other itinerary.

Thanks for your help in advance,

Jeff

We have done a few of these ports with Seabourn and have loved them all. Tough choice, but we would go with the second itinerary. Kotor is wonderful with an amazing sail in and out. We loved Rovinj too. Very beautiful little town. Triluke Bay was good for the marina day and we also went ashore and walked on a path around the headland which was very picturesque. Dubrovnik is fabulous. Walk the walls for the best views. We have heard that Hvar is stunning but have never been.

We also enjoyed Fiskardo, Katakolon, as we visited Olympia and Corfu and Split are both enjoyable, but they are bigger towns. Of course, you have the Diocletian's Palace there which is incredible too. I don't envy you making the decision but the second itinerary has smaller ports where there may well be fewer cruise ships visiting so they might be quieter. Good luck!

As Margbem says, it’s a difficult choice. I’ve done many (but not all) of the ports.

Fiskardo is a Marina port (as is Triluke Bay). A little more to do in Fiskardo, but nothing at all to do in Triluke Bay apart from that.

Katakolon is good for the trip to Olympia, and Split is marvellous. The medieval town is built inside Diocletian’s Palace – you see Roman temples as they were originally, just turned into churches. And the ship docks alongside the Palace.

On the first cruise, Opatija is mainly a 19th century Austro-Hungarian seaside town. Well kept, but not a lot to see. Most people enjoy Corfu – there’s enough to do in the town.

As you say, the sail in and sail way from Kotor are a wonderful experience – unlike anything else in the Mediterranean. Town is small and pretty, and takes an hour or so to walk around – unless you are brave enough to climb up the walls to the castle! Probably worth the trip alone.

Brindisi has some interest, although it is quite rough in parts. But there is usually a fascinating trip to Alberobello, to see the ‘Trulli’.

Hvar is lovely and Rovinj is an interesting little Croatian town with a lot of history.

Essentially, you need to do both. If you are really into ancient history and archaeology, do the first one. If not, then the second one focuses mainly on small historical coastal towns and might be of more general interest.