Yorkshire Pudding

TADCruise

Fun topic

Another Canadian here...

Canada has strong UK Roots... So I am very much enjoying this post (and learning how our traditions have evolved)

Yorkshire Pudding is for sure a standard served with Roast Beef... It is usually put on the same plate (interesting to read in the UK it can be served as an Appy) and covered in Beef Au Jus or Gravy, alongside the Potatoes. The Potatoes are typically Mashed or Pan Roasted (slow cooked in the same pan as the Roast). The plate will also have a veggie or two (selection varies on the season)... And besides the MUST HAVE gravy, the other common accompaniment here is a nice dollop of Horseradish. Roast Beef sings with Horseradish.

Lol, and there is no leftover Yorkshire Pudding ever.

Infact other than the Roast, there is usually no leftovers at all... Leftover Roast Beef makes great next day sandwiches. Cold, thin sliced, with salt & pepper on fresh bread or rolls. Condiments on the sandwich of one's choosing / preference (none, mustard, mayo, HP Sauce, Heinz 57 Sauce... Whatever turns your crank). And maybe served up with a side of pickles.

Gosh, you folks have me drooling... I can see myself making a Roast this weekend now.

As for the other eats mentioned in this topic...

Big fan of Bangers & Mash, and Toad in the Hole. And Custard, Creme Anglaise... All good with certain things.

But sorry... A BIG NO on the Mushy Peas... Yuck. Have to say I don't know many Canadians who have a tasted for those.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

OK! now we're rolling!!! Here is a question. When I make prime rib, I always slice it in thick slices, around 1/2" to 3/4", and serve it that way. I was at friends last week who made prime rib and she sliced it extremely thin, the way I would slice roast beef. I wanted to ask 'where is the beef' but thought better. Do you slice thick or thin slices???

OK! now we're rolling!!! Here is a question. When I make prime rib, I always slice it in thick slices, around 1/2" to 3/4", and serve it that way. I was at friends last week who made prime rib and she sliced it extremely thin, the way I would slice roast beef. I wanted to ask 'where is the beef' but thought better. Do you slice thick or thin slices???

Thick when hot... Thinner when cold.

Of course it is all about the quality of the roast too.

Melt in your mouth prime rib and cutting thick slices in no problem.

Someone serving a lesser quality of cut, and the meat is not going to be so tender so thinner will be better.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

• 1 month later...

I am very sad to report that there were no Yorkshire puddings to be found on Reflection :(

The first night, prime rib was served, and I made sure to ask our waiter if it Yorkshire puddings might be available. He said now, but he would put in a special request to see if he could surprise us later in the week. He must have forgotten for they never appeared on our dinner table :(

Won't stop me from asking again in the future though :D

Oh and yes, prime rib is always thickly sliced in our house.

I am very sad to report that there were no Yorkshire puddings to be found on Reflection :(

The first night, prime rib was served, and I made sure to ask our waiter if it Yorkshire puddings might be available. He said now, but he would put in a special request to see if he could surprise us later in the week. He must have forgotten for they never appeared on our dinner table :(

Won't stop me from asking again in the future though :D

Oh and yes, prime rib is always thickly sliced in our house.

Hi QUEENie ;)

Welcome home

Thanks for the update. We will be on the lookout for Yorkshire on our upcoming cruise as well... Will report back.

Long to hear about your cruise, have you posted anything yet (Cruise Review - Trip Report ? )

Cheers!

British cuisine is definitely an acquired taste, with pub grub being an occasional exception, in a pub. How about more British recipes for cruises that originate in Britain and more French cuisine on all cruises except for the Caribbean, with a little more use of local contents there.

Being English I am interested that you distinguish between "prime rib" and "roast beef". We would simply say we are having roast beef, and then perhaps say it is rib, or sirloin, or whatever. Also in the UK all roast beef, including rib, is usually served in thin slices.

Regarding yorkshire pudding, although it is now served with the meat, in past times when more people were poor and could not afford much meat, it was served first with gravy to fill you up before you got to the meat. There is an old saying "them as eats most pudding gets most meat", in other words if you don't eat much pudding don't expect extra meat:)