laundry Question ?

kwzoom

Does anyone know the cost of using Princess laundry and/or dry cleaning service? It appears the laundry room is all the way at the other end of our boat (Diamond) and I'd like to save all that back and forth. Or, at least does anyone when the laundry room tends to be the least busy?

Thanks

Since I have never been on a Princess ship, I can't offer answer about the costs of laundry and dry cleaning.

However, we have a friend who has been on many Princess cruises. First, she said the prices are very reasonable....and the best time to do laundry is during dinner! She said the there has always been one night for which they did not want to get dressed for dinner (maybe just buffet or room service) or they wanted a late-dinner. So, she has always done laundry during dinner.....no wait--in fact few others. And she's met some great people!

cheers

Just returned home from a 2 week cruise on the Caribbean Princess. The washing machines cost $1 to use as did the tumble driers. Soap powder could be purchased from a vending machine for $1. There was a change machine in the laundry room which exchanged notes for coins. The people I met there were so friendly it almost made doing the laundry worthwhile!

The only time that I have done laundry (self service) on a cruise is when the cruise is more than 10 days. The best time I have found is the last day at sea, go after breakfast and you should be finished by mid morning. I always laugh when other cruisers asked "what did you do today" and my answer would be "I did my laundry this morning". Some cruisers are not aware that some of the ships have their own self serve laundry.

I don't recall the cost for dry cleaning or laundry service, exactly, but I seem to remember it being in the $3-$4 per piece range. A bit less than I pay at home.

As far as the self-serve laundry rooms go, they are not all in the same location on every deck. So, if you want to use one, and don't want to walk down a mile-long hallway, check the deck plans for the decks above and below you. The closer laundry room might be upstairs or down from you.

On my 21-day Royal Princess cruise, I did laundry a couple of times and found that starting at 4PM was a perfect time. I was done by 6PM, plenty of time to relax, get dressed and have a drink before dinner. Almost no one was there and I didn't have to wait for a washer or dryer. It also meant that I didn't disrupt my day by doing laundry. A real plus.

FYI... the cost of doing your own laundry varies from ship-to-ship. On the Royal, the only cost was a $1 for the soap -- the washers and dryers were free. I seem to remember that on the Regal, the washers are free but you have to pay for the dryers (and soap) but that was over a year ago so my memory might be faulty.

I just returned from 10 days & sent all of my laundry out (no dry cleaning) for 3 of us and I spent about $100-I always plan to send out laundry so that I do not have to pack so much! and I hate to do laundry on vacation since I do so much at home!

The prices seem to be standard on all ships-I did not notice that they were any different when I was on the Caribbean Princess
Actually, they aren't standard and do vary from ship-to-ship.

If you're planning to send out your laundry, wait for the "all you can fit in a bag" special. It's definitely worth it. I rolled up my shirts and pants to take up as little room as possible so I was able to squeeze in a lot of laundry into that bag. It wound up being half-price for what I would have paid without the Special.

Wow, I must be the only person, guy or otherwise who doesn't mind doing the laundry. I do my wife's and mine at home, and will usually do one or two loads onboard the ship.

As another said, Princess has a tendancy to alternate the location of laundries from floor to floor. On one deck it will be in the aft portion, while the immediate floors above and below it will be in the forward section. This is not always the case, so pay attention to floor plans.

I send almost all dresses, skirts, pants and blouses to the cleaners -- at home or on vacation.

But, I don't mind doing the rest of it (what little is left!) -- at home or on vacation.

I prefer doing laundry on vacation to coming home to it. :)

Archived