Gel/Shellac Manicure on Equinox???

LouL

We leaving on Equinox June 1 for Med cruise, being gone for so long,

I'll want to get a manicure mid cruise. Can I get a gel or shellac

manicure on Equinox? Old polish has to be soaked off, so they would

have to have the right solution to do so.

Please let me know if you've done so.

I had gel on my nails and one of my nails ripped while on board so I went to the salon and they were able to repair the nail with gel. This was on the Summit. This was not when Canyon Ranch was on board though so I dont know what changes (if any) that will bring to the salon - but given the popularity of gel manicures, I'd be surprised if you couldn't have it worked on there. It was quite expensive though - so I wonder why not get it right before you go, while on land? That's my plan for my med cruise. I'll get the gels done the saturday before I leave (i leave sunday) and I should be good for the cruise. I think the charge to repair my 1 nail was 14.00.

I had gel on my nails and one of my nails ripped while on board so I went to the salon and they were able to repair the nail with gel. This was on the Summit. This was not when Canyon Ranch was on board though so I dont know what changes (if any) that will bring to the salon - but given the popularity of gel manicures, I'd be surprised if you couldn't have it worked on there. It was quite expensive though - so I wonder why not get it right before you go, while on land? That's my plan for my med cruise. I'll get the gels done the saturday before I leave (i leave sunday) and I should be good for the cruise. I think the charge to repair my 1 nail was 14.00.

We were on a b2b on Eclipse last year and when I broke a gel nail they couldn't fix it be because their only machine was broken.

LouL,

I am assuming you are talking about polish for your natural nails.

Yes they do have the new gel polish.So they must have the solution to take it off.

I hate gel polish. I usually get a mani/pedicure right before I leave. Both times in the Med on the Equinox and Constellation(11 and 12 day crusie) I had another manicure with regular polish. It lasted a lot longer than at home. They do a good job and nice selection of colors, but it is not cheap.

Edited by Azulann

I normally have my nails done a couple of days prior to the cruise and it lasts throughout. I've gone as long as 4 weeks between gel manicures. If they don't have the machine, you could have them just remove the polish & do a regular manicure. Or your precruise manicure could be with new CND one-week polish - the stand alone polish - and take that along for the salon to use mid cruise.

Edited by JanineM

I had a gel manicure on Equinox the 24th of Feb, it still looks great over a month later. It wasn't cheap. $86. $20 to soak off the bad gel manicure I had, $55 for the French gel manicure & $11 in automatic gratuity. Expensive, but it's holding up exceptionally well. This wasn't with the new spa providers tho

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You don't need to use a special solution to soak of the gel varnish, any acetone nail polish remover works, takes about 5 to 10 minutes, just soak some cotton wool pads and wrap around your nails and hold with tin foil, cheaper than paying the salon to remove them.

I wear gel polish on my natural nails because it does not chip. The remover needs to be pure acetone, not just nail polish remover with acetone. The spa should have this, since most places that provide nail services use pure acetone. I know you are on vacation and probably won't want to do this, but I usually soak mine off before my appointment. It's just cheaper. Pure acetone will be written on the bottle and can be bought just about anywhere. Also some salons use different brands. I have had gel polish that came off really easy after soaking and some I had to soak a little longer and rub off. If you do not care about cost, let the salon soak it off. Have fun on your cruise.

You don't need to use a special solution to soak of the gel varnish, any acetone nail polish remover works, takes about 5 to 10 minutes, just soak some cotton wool pads and wrap around your nails and hold with tin foil, cheaper than paying the salon to remove them.

I wear gel polish on my natural nails because it does not chip. The remover needs to be pure acetone, not just nail polish remover with acetone. The spa should have this, since most places that provide nail services use pure acetone. I know you are on vacation and probably won't want to do this, but I usually soak mine off before my appointment. It's just cheaper. Pure acetone will be written on the bottle and can be bought just about anywhere. Also some salons use different brands. I have had gel polish that came off really easy after soaking and some I had to soak a little longer and rub off. If you do not care about cost, let the salon soak it off. Have fun on your cruise.

Why do you take your gel nails off? I just get fills and haven't had my natural nails for months, maybe a couple of years.

Are you talking about acrylic nails? I am talking about gel nail polish. I take it off to change colors or get a fresh coat of paint. Once the polish is old, I do not think it would look good if you put new polish on top. Nail polish gets thick if you keep adding coats. The only draw back is that most salons do not have as many colors in gel polish as they do in regular polish like OPI. If I want a particular color my manicurist will set the gel nail polish color that is closest to what I want and then put regular nail polish on top, the polish still does not chip.

Why do you take your gel nails off? I just get fills and haven't had my natural nails for months, maybe a couple of years.

I find that regular nail polish remover works fine, and it does not dry my nails like pure acetone.

Are you talking about acrylic nails? I am talking about gel nail polish. I take it off to change colors or get a fresh coat of paint. Once the polish is old, I do not think it would look good if you put new polish on top. Nail polish gets thick if you keep adding coats. The only draw back is that most salons do not have as many colors in gel polish as they do in regular polish like OPI. If I want a particular color my manicurist will set the gel nail polish color that is closest to what I want and then put regular nail polish on top, the polish still does not chip.

Oh sorry I was talking about gel nails (similar to acrylic but not as brittle and they are better for your nails. Mine is set with the UV lights. It is not a polish - that's why I didn't understand your post oops:o

Wow. It has never worked for my gel nail polish. Well, I guess it depends on the brand. My manicurist does her designs with regular polish, if she messes up, she will take that off with nail polish remover. My already set gel nail polish coat underneath does not come off when she removes the top regular polish coat. Oh well. Still have fun on your cruise and at the spa.

I find that regular nail polish remover works fine, and it does not dry my nails like pure acetone.

All the different options available gets confusing. I hope she has a nice time at the spa.

Oh sorry I was talking about gel nails (similar to acrylic but not as brittle and they are better for your nails. Mine is set with the UV lights. It is not a polish - that's why I didn't understand your post oops:o

I am talking about Gel or Shellac nail polish..put on natural nails, it

makes nails stronger and I love it. There is a process to do it...need a particular type of dryer, but doesn't take long at all.

I've not had good luck with "ship" manicures at all. Cost more and

my last one began peeling/chipping within a couple days of getting it

done.

Still wish someone would let me know if they'd had a gel/shellac

manicure on board Celebrity ship, especially Equinox.

I'm going to be gone 17 days and just think those last 4 or 5 days,

my nails will not look good.

thanks.

A good Shellac mani will last 14-21 days. By having a French one and recovering the new growth with clear polish I can go 28 days. I can't see wasting precious cruise time to do this on board. It is cheaper prior to departure and has become part of my pre-cruise ritual.

Can't speak to whether or not you can get a Gel manicure done on the ship, but I would recommend getting a Shellac manicure before you leave, and get it in a color that has a matching CND Vinylux one-week polish - take the Vinylux and top coat with you, and if you need a touch up or one of you nails gets messed up, you can have the gel soaked off and you can have the Vinylux put on.

I do my own Shellac at home, and that's my plan for my cruise - do the Shellac the night before we leave, and take the Vinylux for touch-ups if necessary. (You can get the Vinylux colors & top coat on Ebay fairly cheap.) If you look on the CND website at the Vinylux colors, they have a notation on the list as to which colors have a matching Shellac counterpart. I've done touch-ups on them, and the colors are perfect. The Vinylux lasts 4-5 days on me without chipping.

I just got the new price list for Canyon Ranch. They have a Gel Polish change for $39 and a gel manicure for $90.....hope this is what you are looking for!!

Hmm 90 on a ship vs like 30 on land. Makes my decision easy LOL. Such a waste. Getting it done the day before i leave it lasts me as long as my nails don't grow too much! lol

Wow. It has never worked for my gel nail polish. Well, I guess it depends on the brand. My manicurist does her designs with regular polish, if she messes up, she will take that off with nail polish remover. My already set gel nail polish coat underneath does not come off when she removes the top regular polish coat. Oh well. Still have fun on your cruise and at the spa.

yes maybe the different brands react differently

I only ever use Cal Gel, not Shellac, as Cal Gel lets my nails breathe, they have a pretty good range of colours but not as many as shellac, it is a little bit more expensive but I don't have them done unless I am going out or on holiday, normally I just use normal varnish.

I use Shellac, Gelish and OPI gel polishes at home, if the aforementioned $90 gel manicure price scares you off I highly recommend the CND Vinylux as well. I got a solid week with no chips with the Vinylux and I usually get 2-3 days out of regular nail polish (I had something odd going on with my nails that makes gel and polish lift).

I'm sure on a normal human it would last much longer and there's no soaking off necessary.

GL and enjoy your cruise, OP!

I got a shellac manicure last year on my B2B cruise on the Eclipse. It cost $20.00 to have the shellac/gel removed. They only had 10 colors to choose from. My salon at home charges $5.00 to remove and has over 150 colors to choose from. She did a good job but it was super expensive! If you have to get it when your away then be prepared to pay heavily for it.

So Fisher: Then what did it cost to finish the manicure? At home in

SW Florida the cost of removal is included in the manicure and costs

from $30 to $50 depending on the salon.