EQUINOX - 10 Day Ultimate Caribbean - Picture Trip Report 3/14/14...

FRMPEI

Yes! it takes a fellow Maritimer to relate to some of my stories. I think you will enjoy Celebrity. I think your Galapagos question has been answered. I didn't go to the on board presentation because we had already went to one a couple of years ago in Halifax during a CAA cruise expo and Celebrity was there giving the Galapagos presentation. The Canadian Celebrity rep had just recently gotten back and was able to share her thoughts. At this time in our lives probably not for us.

Thanks for Reading and Posting

Regards,

Kevin Reid

:) Yes some definite Maritime humour and experience in your review. I am sure one of the reasons it is so popular :D

We have never had a bad cruise, just some I enjoyed more than others. My husband is not as particular as I am about things so he has enjoyed all of the ships we have been on. I enjoy the NCL freestyle, and the overall on-board experience, however I have discovered certain ships are more suited to my preferences, and others draw more kids and young adults, which creates a very different atmosphere. Being empty nesters I enjoy cruises with less kids on board and more middle to older adults.

We have just started booking cruises longer than 7 days and my understanding is the demographic is much different on them, so I am sure it will be a great cruise!

I will enjoy afternoon tea. The one thing I wish NCL would incorporate even if it was just one or two times a cruise.

We are sailing with friends. He is a Newfie, and I am a Bluenoser, so fun is guaranteed lol

Enjoy your weekend!

Hi Kevin, The rooms are quickly filling up on Equinox for the Jan. 23rd sailing. We are booked in the Concierge category but in cabin 9257. We have never been so far aft. Is this ok in your opinion or a mistake ? e can go midship but with no concierge . Any opinion ? Thank you

I just checked out the deck plan for 9257 and I think it will be great. You are actually pretty close to the mid-ship elevator bank and not really that far aft. Stick with the Concierge stateroom I think you will very happy with your choice.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

I just checked out the deck plan for 9257 and I think it will be great. You are actually pretty close to the mid-ship elevator bank and not really that far aft. Stick with the Concierge stateroom I think you will very happy with your choice.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Thank you Kevin. It's a done deal !!

• 1 month later...

Kevin, I read along with your review when you first posted it. I find myself rereading and paying closer attention as we just booked this same itinerary on the beautiful Celebrity Equinox for January 2015. I am getting more excited as I work my way through your trip report again. I also referred my friend to your report to help sell her on booking this cruise with us! Thanks for the wonderful job on this report!

Thanks FRMPEI for the best review I've ever read. You left nothing out. (I think) We are on the Equinox next April and I'm counting the days till we sail. I will do a review when I get back. It won't match yours but I'll do my best.

Kevin, I read along with your review when you first posted it. I find myself rereading and paying closer attention as we just booked this same itinerary on the beautiful Celebrity Equinox for January 2015. I am getting more excited as I work my way through your trip report again. I also referred my friend to your report to help sell her on booking this cruise with us! Thanks for the wonderful job on this report!

This review should sell anyone on this cruise. I look at it often to remind me of the cruise. Kevin took more great pictures than I did.

Wandering and Packing

Nope! I don't see anything on the Blu entree menu that catches my fancy tonight so I guess I am ordering from the MDR menu. So I guess it has become pretty obvious that in general the Blu menu is not really for Kevin and Donna.

CE14HX_%25202436-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

This is why it's great that they allow getting items from the MDR. Me, I looked at this Blu menu and remember that I couldn't decide what to get, because the pasta, Osso Bucco, and squab all sounded delicious!

We were on the cruise right after yours. We ate in a Blu every night, as most of the the specialty restaurants didn't really offer anything we couldn't get at home. We did get to have lunch in Murano one day, which was very good.

Get review BTW. :D

Is there anything your need from me to convince your friends to book this cruise? :p JUST BOOK IT NOW!

I had a lot of fun re-living this cruise while I was writing it. I am truly humbled by the response it has received here. Hopefully it encourages others to write trip reports even if they are not "CC" veterans with thousands of posts.

Thanks for the re-read and still open to questions.

Kevin Reid

Thanks FRMPEI for the best review I've ever read. You left nothing out. (I think) We are on the Equinox next April and I'm counting the days till we sail. I will do a review when I get back. It won't match yours but I'll do my best.

My fellow Canadian don't sell yourself short on doing a review. Like I said I had fun doing it. April will be coming very soon just hope our winter is not near as fierce as 2013/2014 was. Looking forward to reading your review please include pictures.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

This review should sell anyone on this cruise. I look at it often to remind me of the cruise. Kevin took more great pictures than I did.

Mark,

I must admit I also catch myself taking peaks back.:D

Regards,

Kevin Reid

This is why it's great that they allow getting items from the MDR. Me, I looked at this Blu menu and remember that I couldn't decide what to get, because the pasta, Osso Bucco, and squab all sounded delicious!

We were on the cruise right after yours. We ate in a Blu every night, as most of the the specialty restaurants didn't really offer anything we couldn't get at home. We did get to have lunch in Murano one day, which was very good.

Get review BTW. :D

Blu is fantastic for most but, there are some (like us and Mark) it was not the best fit. Sure we would do Aqua again if the price was right. But for 2015 we have already booked CC class and will spend the extra on Speciality Dining.

Thanks for you kind words.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Awesome, awesome, awesome job Kevin.

Your sense of humour has cracked me up more than a few times.

What a labor of love for you to go through and put this all together. As everyone else has commented, tremendous job and a huge THANK YOU!!!

Will be sailing on Reflection Nov 2015 and I got more excited by reading your review!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Awesome, awesome, awesome job Kevin.

Your sense of humour has cracked me up more than a few times.

What a labor of love for you to go through and put this all together. As everyone else has commented, tremendous job and a huge THANK YOU!!!

Will be sailing on Reflection Nov 2015 and I got more excited by reading your review!

When I first saw your handle I thought it was my sister making her first post on CC because she decided to come with us March 2015. You are right it was a labour of love. You are going to love Reflection. We almost picked Reflection over Silhouette for our up coming March 1, 2015 cruise. But Silhouette won out because of direct flight leaving direct from Moncton vs. Halifax little closer for us.

Thanks for your kind comments.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Tuscan Silhouette March 2013

CS13HX_%25202048-XL.jpg

FABULOUS Trip Reoprt (I read it all)

One of the best I've seen on the Celebrity Board on CC

Your photos are stunning!!

We travel with 2 Digitals... A tiny Point & Shoot and a mid size Fuiji that has some of the offerings of a DSLR but is compact. We also tote along the iPad for video... downloading pics, email, games and books / mags (handy for fly days to pass the hours)

We are looking to add a GoPro to the mix for more video opportunities ashore (don't take the iPad on excursions) and particularly water / underwater adventures... Love that about the GoPro.

On an upcoming cruise we are going Aqua for the first time so appreciated your viewpoint.

Neither of us are Spa-heads... But the price was right... And wanted to see what all the fuss is about (we LOVE Concierge Class up to now)

Was a bit worried about Blu... But your post has eliminated that fear now knowing we can peruse BOTH Blu & the MDR Menu.

Cheers!

PS... As a fellow Canadian I get the woes when it comes to Airfare issues / price. You need to do what so many of us do here in Ontario. Rely on points... Be it Air Miles with an airline or Airmiles.ca (the blue loyalty card). We now put all our monthly spending on a credit card with points and pay it off... NO Interest... Just oodles of FREE points / air miles. Best thing ever. We have multiple flights to Fort Lauderdale (Winter is off season with Airmiles.ca)... Even got a FREE Cruise in the past.

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Thanks so much for an amazing review. I was just lamenting the fact that there aren't trip reports for cruising like there are for Disney trips and then I found yours! We just booked the Equinox over Christmas to celebrate my parent's 55th wedding anniversary. So great to get a sneak peek at the ship and hear about your adventures!

gosh I hope this goes thru at this late date. Loved the review! Have never cruised celebrity but thinking about a cruise in the near future. More important at this moment, am thinking of getting hubby a go pro for his birthday in two weeks! I am fascinated with the "twisty thingy" (note the high tech knowledge I am showing) that you used to attach your go pro to railings etc. Is there a name for that? I go on line and kinda search but do not see that "device" I know hubby would make exactly the same use as you did and would love to include with the gift, any help is much appreciated! The review was a "10" thanks so much!!

gosh I hope this goes thru at this late date. Loved the review! Have never cruised celebrity but thinking about a cruise in the near future. More important at this moment, am thinking of getting hubby a go pro for his birthday in two weeks! I am fascinated with the "twisty thingy" (note the high tech knowledge I am showing) that you used to attach your go pro to railings etc. Is there a name for that? I go on line and kinda search but do not see that "device" I know hubby would make exactly the same use as you did and would love to include with the gift, any help is much appreciated! The review was a "10" thanks so much!!

Hi, that thing is called a GorillaPod. They come in a variety of sizes depending on how large a camera you want to use. Here is a link to Joby.com - the makers of them. You can also find them other places.

http://joby.com/gorillapod?gclid=CjwKEAjw9eyeBRCqxc_b-LD8kTESJADsBMxSabEUI5YbcWUhIXYybI_j_O-h6_S0q628ti-7PjJ-PRoCwbjw_wcB

FABULOUS Trip Reoprt (I read it all)

One of the best I've seen on the Celebrity Board on CC

Your photos are stunning!!

We travel with 2 Digitals... A tiny Point & Shoot and a mid size Fuiji that has some of the offerings of a DSLR but is compact. We also tote along the iPad for video... downloading pics, email, games and books / mags (handy for fly days to pass the hours)

We are looking to add a GoPro to the mix for more video opportunities ashore (don't take the iPad on excursions) and particularly water / underwater adventures... Love that about the GoPro.

On an upcoming cruise we are going Aqua for the first time so appreciated your viewpoint.

Neither of us are Spa-heads... But the price was right... And wanted to see what all the fuss is about (we LOVE Concierge Class up to now)

Was a bit worried about Blu... But your post has eliminated that fear now knowing we can peruse BOTH Blu & the MDR Menu.

Cheers!

PS... As a fellow Canadian I get the woes when it comes to Airfare issues / price. You need to do what so many of us do here in Ontario. Rely on points... Be it Air Miles with an airline or Airmiles.ca (the blue loyalty card). We now put all our monthly spending on a credit card with points and pay it off... NO Interest... Just oodles of FREE points / air miles. Best thing ever. We have multiple flights to Fort Lauderdale (Winter is off season with Airmiles.ca)... Even got a FREE Cruise in the past.

Thanks Sloop-JohnB for your kind comments. Photos... with this being my first ever PTR I tried to only pick the photos that were good (according to my eye ;) ) Some reviews feels the need to post every picture that they took even the really bad ones. I tried to add some commentary to each photo I posted. The GoPro is a fun little camera I am currently have some fun with it this summer at our beautiful beaches. Actually about to down load some Jellyfish videos now.

You got got me thinking about the points credit card thing. I checked out the CIBC Aventura Travel rewards cards which might make sense for us. We normally book things on our Sears MC and use the Sears points towards our Cruise.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Thanks so much for an amazing review. I was just lamenting the fact that there aren't trip reports for cruising like there are for Disney trips and then I found yours! We just booked the Equinox over Christmas to celebrate my parent's 55th wedding anniversary. So great to get a sneak peek at the ship and hear about your adventures!

Thanks for taking the time to read my Photo Trip Report. Equinox Like Eclipse probably have the fewer Caribbean Reviews because of their longer than 7 days cruises. Be sure give us a post after you get back from your Christmas cruise. So envious of that one. Those Holiday cruises are just so much more expensive.

Thanks Again,

Kevin Reid

Yes! as my friend Mark has already said they are Joby Gorillapods. I have actually bought three new items from Joby . I bought a third "twisty thing" that also comes with a Go Pro mount (Gorillapod Action Tripod). Bought a really nice super small tripod mount that you attach and can leave on your Point and Shot. Thirdly I bought the new Joby Action Clamp & Locking Arm for the GoPro. I do detail all my Cameras and Mounts back on page one of this Photo Trip Report.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Hi Kevin

Also from PEI

Enjoyed reading your great review ... We are going on that same cruise next April .. Everything is booked but the flight...hoping for a seat sale!

You just can't leave me hanging like this. Is it safe to say your last name is the same as Golden Arches but with an "a"? Charlottetown? are we related? Did we go to go same schools? or you a CFA?

Have a great trip next April on the beautiful Celebrity Equinox. Don't wait to long on those tickets. There really are no deals to FLL especially from YYG.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

You just can't leave me hanging like this. Is it safe to say your last name is the same as Golden Arches but with an "a"? Charlottetown? are we related? Did we go to go same schools? or you a CFA?

Have a great trip next April on the beautiful Celebrity Equinox. Don't wait to long on those tickets. There really are no deals to FLL especially from YYG.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Hi Kevin

LOL... Didn't mean to leave you hanging ... We live in Oyster Bed... Deb and Graeme MacDonald ..No we are definitely not related but my sister in law is a Reid!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app