Whoopie Pies

Aunu

I have a chocolate chip (white cake with chips) waiting for me tonight. Isimax pies are awesome. Had a mint chocolate the other day. Also try an Italian sandwich. Go straight up India St to Amatos. Not the best, but they invented them in the early 1900s.

I think that I'm the only one in Maine that does not like whoopie pies - but my DH eats enough of them for 2 - he also really likes chocolate/peanut butter - always some at work and at the local stores. ( will admit that I once had a pumpkin spice/vanilla that was quite good. Jan

I have a chocolate chip (white cake with chips) waiting for me tonight. Isimax pies are awesome. Had a mint chocolate the other day. Also try an Italian sandwich. Go straight up India St to Amatos. Not the best, but they invented them in the early 1900s.

I was just reading an article in Gourmet magazine about Amatos! I myself have never been, as I don't like Italian sandwiches.

I always call them ITALIAN sandwiches to...do you think Italian people get offended??

I try to call them a sub, trying to be PC...

I dont think they call them that in other parts of the country do they?

Local Made whoopie pies are the best... the ones wrapped up in glad wrap. (with the ingredients typed out on a little piece of paper on top)

I always call them ITALIAN sandwiches to...do you think Italian people get offended??

I try to call them a sub, trying to be PC...

I dont think they call them that in other parts of the country do they?

Local Made whoopie pies are the best... the ones wrapped up in glad wrap. (with the ingredients typed out on a little piece of paper on top)

I thinks subs or grinders are the New England way of referring to sandwiches of substance!

I call them Italians generally, but didn't want to offend anyone by saying "I don't like Italians."! I am Italian myself :)

NYC and northern NJ call them heroes or submarine sandwiches (subs). Those terms were in use in the early 50s, maybe earlier. Manganero's Hero Boy on 9th Ave. around 37th St, NYC, is the mecca for heroes.

The sandwiches have lots of names: heroes, subs, grinders, hoagies, po' boys, wedges (Westchester), etc. Never heard the term "Italian sandwich" before; around here that's a type or hero or sub.

A Portland or Maine Italian sandwich is different than a sub or grinder. First, instead of a sub roll, a roll similar to a large giant dog bun is used. The vegetables in an Italian are olives, usually Greek, chunks of green pepper and tomato, onion and sour (not dill) pickle. It is then drenched in oil, usually a mixture of vegetable and olive. Finally it is eaten like a hot dog, with the open side up. The sandwich was originally made by Mama Amato as a cheap lunch for the shipbuilders who worked at the base of Munjoy Hill in Portland, where the cruise ships now dock. Anyone else from the area please correct me if I have made a mistake.

A Portland or Maine Italian sandwich is different than a sub or grinder. First, instead of a sub roll, a roll similar to a large giant dog bun is used. The vegetables in an Italian are olives, usually Greek, chunks of green pepper and tomato, onion and sour (not dill) pickle. It is then drenched in oil, usually a mixture of vegetable and olive. Finally it is eaten like a hot dog, with the open side up. The sandwich was originally made by Mama Amato as a cheap lunch for the shipbuilders who worked at the base of Munjoy Hill in Portland, where the cruise ships now dock. Anyone else from the area please correct me if I have made a mistake.

I think that is a good description.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't forget the ham and (white) american cheese which is used as the base. Note: instead of stepping up to the counter and ordering a regular ham italian, you could get a turkey italian, or a roast beef italian. Same veggies just different meat.

Being from Maine as you have previously read, we call them Italians because the Amato's, the DiPietro's etc...have the history of making these sandwiches in their corner stores. It is not an insult to them rather pride in who makes the best one.

Funny Story......I was at a conference in Orlando Fl., and when myself and two girls from work ..also natives to Maine...were riding in a full elevator at the Peabody Hotel back up to our room, I piped up and said "Boy...I would love an Italian right now!"

Don't forget the ham and (white) american cheese which is used as the base. Note: instead of stepping up to the counter and ordering a regular ham italian' date=' you could get a turkey italian, or a roast beef italian. Same veggies just different meat.

Being from Maine as you have previously read, we call them Italians because the Amato's, the DiPietro's etc...have the history of making these sandwiches in their corner stores. It is not an insult to them rather pride in who makes the best one.

Funny Story......I was at a conference in Orlando Fl., and when myself and two girls from work ..also natives to Maine...were riding in a full elevator at the Peabody Hotel back up to our room, I piped up and said "Boy...I would love an Italian right now!"[/quote']

I've craved them, interestingly enough, on cruises for lunch. Ever tried a chicken salad Italian from the Quality Shop?

Don't forget the ham and (white) american cheese which is used as the base. Note: instead of stepping up to the counter and ordering a regular ham italian' date=' you could get a turkey italian, or a roast beef italian. Same veggies just different meat.

Funny Story......I was at a conference in Orlando Fl., and when myself and two girls from work ..also natives to Maine...were riding in a full elevator at the Peabody Hotel back up to our room, I piped up and said "Boy...I would love an Italian right now!"[/quote']

I've craved them, interestingly enough, on cruises for lunch. Ever tried a chicken salad Italian from the Quality Shop?

Now that I know what an Italian is, would someone tell this uninformed southerner what a woopie pie is:confused:

Check out this web site.

WHAT IS A WOOPIE PIE

There are many variations. Peanut butter cream is also a popular filling. There are many variations my favorite being maple cake with white filling. YUM!!!

Archived