St Tropez car rental on a Sunday

tucsonchic

We will be docked in St Tropez on a Sunday for a very long 14 hours. We would like to rent a car and drive to Ramatuelle, Gassin and Grimaud (and where ever else strikes our fancy), but I am having a VERY difficult time finding a car rental that is open on Sundays. If anyone has any advice, suggestions, etc I would greatly appreciate it.

We are also waiting to hear the results of Frenchici's research. In our experience, French (and Italian) rental car agencies do not like to work on Sunday's or holidays. In most cases you will find nearly every agency, except those at major airports, closed on those days. It is one reason why we carefully look at where a ship will be on Sundays (and Mondays in Italy) before we book a Med cruise.

Hank

Hi,

Give me the date & the time, i will search in french websites ! :)

Thank you!

The date is Sunday, 25 May and we would like to rent from around 9 or 10 am until 5-6 pm. I did find out that the Hertz office is open from 10am - noon but cannot find out if they have a drop box or somewhere that we could leave the car when we return it (international office in US had no idea). Otherwise, not sure what the purpose is for only being open for 2 hours :confused:

This being only our 2nd cruise we didn't even think of this (never had the problem in Greece), but live and learn as they say.

Thanks again and eager to find out what you learn.

Hi,

I saw the one open only 10-12...

The only big agency is a Hertz open 24/7... in Frejus. :rolleyes:

You can call "Avis" that can maybe put a car in a "Vinci car park" and you return on the same parking.

You also have that one: http://www.locazur83.com/vehicules-tourisme.htm

They can bring you the car directly in the port if you need. It should be 80e.

And you have "http://www.autoeurope.fr" with the agency "luxury cars" that have a new Mercedes Classe A for 134e.... Nothing less expensive open a sunday.

Hope that helps a little....

Just an update to my attempts to find a car rental in St Tropez on a Sunday - I contacted http://www.locazur83.com and they responded that if I only wanted a one day rental then I would have to call them on the day of arrival and inquire as to whether they had a car available. The other company with the "luxury cars" is a bit out of our price range, as the price quoted was much higher than what was on the website! Still confused as to why Hertz is only open for 2 days, but don't think I will ever get that question answered. So, basically it looks like we are out of luck in our attempts to get a car rental for a 14 hour port day! Guess I have now learned to look a little closer at the itineraries when in France. At least hopefully someone on this board will benefit from my experience.

Edited by tucsonchic
add more information

BTW the Luxury Car Hire will only rent for a 3 day period. So, from all the research I have done I have concluded that basically if you are in St Tropez

on a Sunday, and want to rent a car to explore the local area, you are pretty much out of luck! :( Unless of course you attempt to call the one company on day of arrival.

It was closer to 250 Euro, but then it didn't matter because they wouldn't rent for less than 3 days.

Oh well, I am sure that we will make the most of our day anyway.

Thanks again for your help - I appreciate it!

• 3 weeks later...

After weeks of trying to contact rental car companies I just wanted to report that the only option I found was to contact www.locazur83.com on the day of arrival to see if they have a car available. Also, for those interested, there are no wineries in the area that are open on a Sunday (that had been something we wanted to do on our port day there). So, one thing I guess I have learned is that one should look closely as to the ports they are visiting on a Sunday while in France :)

I am sure we will make the most of it though and have a wonderful day regardless of having a rental car or not, but hopefully this information will help future travelers.

After weeks of trying to contact rental car companies I just wanted to report that the only option I found was to contact www.locazur83.com on the day of arrival to see if they have a car available. Also, for those interested, there are no wineries in the area that are open on a Sunday (that had been something we wanted to do on our port day there). So, one thing I guess I have learned is that one should look closely as to the ports they are visiting on a Sunday while in France :)

I am sure we will make the most of it though and have a wonderful day regardless of having a rental car or not, but hopefully this information will help future travelers.

We have long given just that advice (to carefully look at where you ship will be on Sundays (and Mondays in Italy)). I should add that when it comes to finding things open on Sunday you can add Italy and Spain to France as countries where most things will be closed.

Just to add a note about the south of France, there are some places that actually are "booming" on Sunday afternoons. In particular is the delightful walled city of St Paul de Vence (many French even go there on Sundays) and also Eze Village. During the high season many places in Antibes will also be open on Sundays. But none of this is real helpful regarding St Tropez. On a Sunday the best bet for this port might be to simply stay in St Tropez where there will be some shops open.

Hank