Long time cruiser--first time diabetic

Although we've cruised for many years now, I just found out that I will have to bring a "flexipen"(insulin) with me. Has anyone had that same experience?. Are the refrigerators in the cabins cool enough to keep the pen in? Or if not, does anyone have any recommendations....Thanks Referee

My wife is an insulin dependant diabetic and has never had any problems. The fridge is cool enough for the pens.

The only advice I would give is to spread the pens amongst different bags just in case anything happens to them. We put some in my carry-on, some in hers and some in the suitcases.

Pete

Although we've cruised for many years now, I just found out that I will have to bring a "flexipen"(insulin) with me. Has anyone had that same experience?. Are the refrigerators in the cabins cool enough to keep the pen in? Or if not, does anyone have any recommendations....Thanks Referee

My uncle is diabetic and I cruise with him regularly

Not sure of oasis or freedom class but others don't have fridges in inside or outside cabins

You should take a sharps container and most of all bring a letter from your doctor for carrying the drugs

Also carry a cooler bag with a brick in it on the plane for most of your insulin

Plane will also store it for you

Anything else

Ask

Greg:)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My uncle is diabetic and I cruise with him regularly

Not sure of oasis or freedom class but others don't have fridges in inside or outside cabins

You should take a sharps container and most of all bring a letter from your doctor for carrying the drugs

Also carry a cooler bag with a brick in it on the plane for most of your insulin

Plane will also store it for you

Anything else

Ask

Greg:)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sharps containers are provided upon request on the ship. You can also use FRIO Insulin Cooling Case

Edited by cruisenfever

There isn't really a need to keep the pens in the fridge in your cabin. They should be good for 30 days at room temperature.

The Frio pack is great for travel and on the islands as well. Remember the outside temperature is hot even in a purse or bag.

There isn't really a need to keep the pens in the fridge in your cabin. They should be good for 30 days at room temperature.

The Frio pack is great for travel and on the islands as well. Remember the outside temperature is hot even in a purse or bag.

Really depends on the type of insulin you are using. Lantus in the pens, should be kept refrigerated until you use if for the first time, then it does not have to be refrigerated.

Edited by cruisenfever

I am a diabetic insulino dependent and i have cruise with the oasis and we do have a fridge. Where it comes to food i always find something to eat on the menu.... I go protein. Also i only order the water and i bring my own water flavor drops or single powder pouch. so that kept me away from soft drinks and alcohol (not a big drinker). Also make sure that you have enough testing strips. My doctor had recommended that i test more often during the day. All depends if you have a fast acting or slow release insulin. Nothing to worry about. Just make sure also that you have a prescription from your doctor for all meds that you are taking. I always have it but never got bothered. Hope that it was helpful.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Love the Frio bags! DH is insulin dependant and we travelled 65 days last year with enough insulin to get us through. Even through the 'red center' to Australia it wasn't a problem.

We have never found it an issue to be diabetic while travelling. You do need to check your sugars more, as generally, you will be more active, and eating different things. But that is just the life of a diabetic.

My wife is an insulin dependant diabetic and has never had any problems. The fridge is cool enough for the pens.

The only advice I would give is to spread the pens amongst different bags just in case anything happens to them. We put some in my carry-on, some in hers and some in the suitcases.

Pete

Always carry your medications. Never check them or even let them out of your sight until tucked in your cabin.

CVS and other stores have small cases to carry insulin with cold packs. I tse insulin, DH uses Embril. Both are far too expensive to play around with.

Cabin coolers are fine for storage.

Just sailed the Allure of the Seas last week...

My daughter is a diabetic. We did not have a "medical refrigerator" in our stateroom. It may have been just fine (cool enough) for insulin, but we were worried.

Our stateroom attendant brought in a container of ice and each day made sure it was filled twice. We were able to keep the pens in it along with the vials.

All turned out fine.