Taxi Availability in Civitavecchia

jeffbook

Also posted this on the Ports board, but I thought fellow Celebrity cruisers might be able to help.

Arriving in Civitavecchia on May 5 on Celebrity Silhouette. I am assuming there are taxis available to take me to the local Avis car rental agency where I have a reservation. Can anyone confirm this or confirm the presence of an Avis shuttle that picks up at the port?

Thanks everyone for your help.

There were definitely taxi's available at the entrance to the port when we were there a couple of years ago but we did not use them as we took the train into Rome and we walked to the station.

I do remember reading a thread regarding getting a taxi to the station and somebody posted that the taxi drivers are only interested in passengers going to Rome or the airport and were refusing to take anyone on short journeys.

Also posted this on the Ports board, but I thought fellow Celebrity cruisers might be able to help.

Arriving in Civitavecchia on May 5 on Celebrity Silhouette. I am assuming there are taxis available to take me to the local Avis car rental agency where I have a reservation. Can anyone confirm this or confirm the presence of an Avis shuttle that picks up at the port?

Thanks everyone for your help.

Taxi are available at the port entrance so you need to get there either by walking thru port area (like 1 mile) or by taking the shuttle. Shuttle is running few times in hour. We never did it because we used private transfers (they allowed to go to the ship).

I would concur about the taxis being interested only in taking fares to the airport. We had overnight hotel reservations in Civita about 2km from the port and could not get a taxi to take us there. Thinking that there would be local taxis outside the port, we left the port via shuttle bus and found that there were NO taxis at all. We had to drag our luggage, literally uphill all the way:eek:, to our hotel. Not a pleasant way to end a very nice cruise.

IIRC, all of the car rental offices are immediately outside the port entrance.

I am somewhat puzzled by many of the above posts and here is why. At the port of Civitavecchia there will be taxis available right at the pier (which can be more then a mile from the port entrance) although most of these taxis will refuse a short-haul fare. If you take the free port shuttle bus to the port entrance you might see a taxi, but more likely not. And you might want to know why any taxi hanging around the port entrance is not permitted to enter the port (tis strange).

As to the comment about Avis being near the train station.....Avis is nowhere near the train station and is actually the opposite direction from the port entrance as the train station. The only rental car company near the train station is Hertz which is about half way between the main port entrance and the station. As to "all of the car rental offices are immediately outside the port entrance" this is just NOT TRUE. There used to be a Sixt location right outside the port, but the Sixt website now shows that office is closed. Hertz is about 3 blocks from the entrance. The other majors (Avis and Europcar) are located a nice hike from the port entrance.

Many different folks read these threads and rely on the info, so posters really need to try and have their facts straight so as not to mislead people.

Hank

P.S. If my post is not accurate we sure welcome corrections :)

Edited by Hlitner

I am somewhat puzzled by many of the above posts and here is why. At the port of Civitavecchia there will be taxis available right at the pier (which can be more then a mile from the port entrance) although most of these taxis will refuse a short-haul fare. If you take the free port shuttle bus to the port entrance you might see a taxi, but more likely not. And you might want to know why any taxi hanging around the port entrance is not permitted to enter the port (tis strange).

As to the comment about Avis being near the train station.....Avis is nowhere near the train station and is actually the opposite direction from the port entrance as the train station. The only rental car company near the train station is Hertz which is about half way between the main port entrance and the station. As to "all of the car rental offices are immediately outside the port entrance" this is just NOT TRUE. There used to be a Sixt location right outside the port, but the Sixt website now shows that office is closed. Hertz is about 3 blocks from the entrance. The other majors (Avis and Europcar) are located a nice hike from the port entrance.

Many different folks read these threads and rely on the info, so posters really need to try and have their facts straight so as not to mislead people.

Hank

P.S. If my post is not accurate we sure welcome corrections :)

You seem very informed here. Do you know what the best bet would be for my DH and I to just get into town. Want to go to Aqua for lunch and would loved to find some local shopping. I keep reading about taxi's at the ship only doing Rome tours....can I get one elsewhere or possibly walk all the way in?

You seem very informed here. Do you know what the best bet would be for my DH and I to just get into town. Want to go to Aqua for lunch and would loved to find some local shopping. I keep reading about taxi's at the ship only doing Rome tours....can I get one elsewhere or possibly walk all the way in?

We are assuming you are asking about getting from your ship into Civitavecchia, and this is quite easy. You have two choices. The port runs a wonderful free bus shuttle service that serves all the cruise ships. You simply wait outside your ship's terminal (often a big tend like building) for the free shuttle which will drop you near the Port's main entrance. Town is right outside that entrance although Aqua is a bit of a hike. As an alternative, you can actually walk from your ship, through the port, to town. There are marked walkways through the port, but depending on docking position is can be up to a mile to just get to the port entrance. But its great exercise :).

As to shopping, there are stores in Civitavecchia but we have never been overly impressed. But over the years this city has really improved and keeps getting better, so perhaps you will discover some decent shopping. There is a shopping street very close to the Port Entrance. Just look for McDonalds (across the street from the port entrance) and head up that street. Keep in mind that you are in Italy where most shops/boutiques close during the afternoon (from about 1-4) so plan your shopping accordingly.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We are assuming you are asking about getting from your ship into Civitavecchia, and this is quite easy. You have two choices. The port runs a wonderful free bus shuttle service that serves all the cruise ships. You simply wait outside your ship's terminal (often a big tend like building) for the free shuttle which will drop you near the Port's main entrance. Town is right outside that entrance although Aqua is a bit of a hike. As an alternative, you can actually walk from your ship, through the port, to town. There are marked walkways through the port, but depending on docking position is can be up to a mile to just get to the port entrance. But its great exercise :).

As to shopping, there are stores in Civitavecchia but we have never been overly impressed. But over the years this city has really improved and keeps getting better, so perhaps you will discover some decent shopping. There is a shopping street very close to the Port Entrance. Just look for McDonalds (across the street from the port entrance) and head up that street. Keep in mind that you are in Italy where most shops/boutiques close during the afternoon (from about 1-4) so plan your shopping accordingly.

Hank

This will be our turn around day on a B2B and we are wondering if there is much to see in Civitavecchia, we are not shoppers, or is it better to just stay on the ship?

Thanks for the advice.

This will be our turn around day on a B2B and we are wondering if there is much to see in Civitavecchia, we are not shoppers, or is it better to just stay on the ship?

Thanks for the advice.

If you haven't been to Rome, that would be the time to do it. Either on a private tour or self-guided via the train and taxis once in Rome. We did the turn in 2011 and 2012. In '11, we hung around the city, found a busy local market a few blocks from the port and just wandered through looking, had lunch at a "local" restaurant off the beaten path, and just generally walked around and took in the sights and sounds. In '12 we hopped the early train to Rome and took taxis and/or walked to all the sites we wanted to see and still got back to the ship an hour before all-aboard.

If you haven't been to Rome, that would be the time to do it. Either on a private tour or self-guided via the train and taxis once in Rome. We did the turn in 2011 and 2012. In '11, we hung around the city, found a busy local market a few blocks from the port and just wandered through looking, had lunch at a "local" restaurant off the beaten path, and just generally walked around and took in the sights and sounds. In '12 we hopped the early train to Rome and took taxis and/or walked to all the sites we wanted to see and still got back to the ship an hour before all-aboard.

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, we have been to Rome several times so this time will pass on a return visit.

Sounds like staying on the ship for a quiet day, at least until the ship fills up again, might be the best option but will read up more on Civitavecchia.

Thanks for the advice.

Been in exactly your situation when we were stuck in the port, during a back to back, on a quiet Sunday. Since we have been to Rome (and Italy) many times, we did not feel any incentive to go into Rome when we had to back on the ship by 4:30. So DW and I decided to stay on the ship unless it was a beautiful day. Well, it turned out to be a glorious day and there was no way we were going to sit on the ship. So we walked from our ship into Civitavecchia (about a 15 min walk through the port) since we wanted to walk and had no interest in waiting for the free internal port shuttle bus.

Civitavecchia does have some charm and is pleasant for a walk. Once you leave the port you can continue along the relatively new Promanade along the sea. Here you will see the large Statue (replica) called "Unconditional Surrender" by Seward Johnson which is based on the very famous "Sailor Kissing Nurse" photo taken by Eisenstaedt. This photo graced the cover of Life Magazine in 1945 and we were pleasantly surprised to see a replica in Civitavecchia. After strolling along the water (and lousy beach) you can cross the street where there are several cafes/restaurant. Or walk back towards the port an turn right at the McDonalds and you can then stroll up this shopping street. I should add that McDonalds is popular for its free Wifi, but the coffee shop across the street is a nicer place and also has free internet (you must ask for the code). The coffee shop also sells decent ice cream and very good cappuccino.

Hank