Haggle prices when shopping?

mcbor

Leaving on the Miracle this Sunday going to Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Belize. Was wondering when shopping, can we haggle prices everywhere or are there some places you just don't.

I can only comment on Cozumel, and the answer is YES! Never pay the listed price! Also do not act eager to buy, most of the time if they see you walking away, they come lower and lower, at least that is my experience. It is kind of like a game, not many people pay the same price for things.

Most definitely negociate the prices on items. I was on the Miracle last week. While in Cozumel I was pricing tanzanite earrings. The clerk gave me one price. I told her I had been quoted a price $80 less at another shop. (I didn't share that it had been in Grand Cayman.) She did come down to meet that price.

Is this even in the shops at the dock?

Hey, it never hurts to ask. In addition to simple haggling, you can always try to be creative... "so how much of a discount would I receive if I buy two?" Haggling is part of the fun of shopping for many of us. At the same time we have to understand that in some ports the economic level of the vendors is pretty low. My 50 cents may not mean too much to me but would be important to the seller. You have to use common sense.

On the ship John Heald told everyone you DO NOT haggle in Grand Caymen. So we didnt consider it, however, when we were buying some very expensive jewelry there the sales lady started to offer it for less and less and when we walked out (not to get her to go lower) she followed us out and went even lower.....so in GC you can haggle also. We wound up spending $10,000 on jewelry there!!

Haggling is an accepted sport in many places. Please be respectful with the shop-keeper. Don't as I've seen on occaision, walk out saying for all to hear "rip-off". Every business has the right to set their price and we have the right to reject it.

Actually on Cozumel, my favorite store has only fixed prices. The very best staff also. And a very good courtyard restaurant. http://www.loscincosoles.com/home.htm

Oh they have to drop the price a lot and then I start to haggle....$25 stuff for $5.you got the idea...I just act totally uninterested and walk away...I've had them follow me and come across the street before I bought somewhere else.......lol.Gotta love it..BUT...I haven't shopped in a while in Grand Cayman but I remember several years ago I wanted a tank with GC on it and it was $15...I saw it across the street for $14.I simply told the lady.Hey it's $14 across the street....She said.it's $15 here....I said you mean you are going to just let me walk across the street and lose this sale?...She smiled and said yes as she turned away....lol.....I swear, that was so cute I said, wait....I want yours...you're too cute....she smiled and said, I know....lol.....but anyway..yes haggle, haggle, haggle......except in GC....I'll be back there next month, I'll let you know how it goes.:D

Leaving on the Miracle this Sunday going to Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Belize. Was wondering when shopping, can we haggle prices everywhere or are there some places you just don't.

The Answer is yes but I notice more and more that most places even Cozumel wont budge, There is always that person that will pay those prices. Stay away from the Carnival Recommended stores and you will find some better deals, and like Randy said, huggle with them then walk away, they usually go with your offer and when they do haggle some more.

If you're looking for places in GC or Belize to haggle, you'll spend more time LOOKING for those places than you will doing anything else in port.

In my experience, in Coz/CM, it's cheaper to just go to the stores than it is to haggle. Example: I was at Uvero Beach in CM. They have a small market place. I wanted a Corona statue. $30. Lowest he would go, even when I walked away, was $15. I bought it at one of the non-haggling stores on the pier for $3.

I personally don't like to haggle just because you open yourself up to being followed and harassed and pressured by vendors and I'd rather just find the set price and buy (unless I'm in St. Thomas...in my experience, everything was so much more low key there).

I always haggle with the merchants in cozumel. never in Belize when I am on an excursion in the country. They are trying so hard to make the money and they are not an International chain or big store. When I shop in Grand Cayman I usually shop at the rum cake stores and the Hard Rock cafe, so no haggling. I am trying the southern carrib this time and I wonder if I will be able to in San JUan, dominica, aruba etc..:confused:

Grand Cayman has an official policy against haggling (I have that from a prominate local business owner) and prices tend to be higher there anyways, although there is always exceptions. There are some deals to be had on alcohol and of course the famous Rum Cakes!

Cozumel you have to haggle. Rule of thumb for me is start at 1/3 and go from there. There is far more flexibility away from the peir and off the main streets and squares.

Costa Maya there is less flexibility: The venders pay high prices to be in the fake village at the peir and there is no other competition nearby (costa maya really is in the middle of no-where)

Belieze is so poor you'll want to offer them more than their asking!

On your itinerary I say Cozumel is your best bet.

Personally, I don't bother with duty free shopping any more, there are fewer and fewer bargains. Don't even think of buying electronics and cameras as most are either european models or "gray market" items that are not warrented in the USA: you can do better at Best Buy and online here in the US. Jewlery is always an iffy buy and unless you buy at a cruise ship sponsered store (and hense pay more) you have no recourse if you overpay. And with airlines becoming stickliers for weight limits, it's not worth saving the $30-$40 and having to lug alcohol home.

In Mexico there are some nice handicrafts and textiles, in Grand Cayman rum and rum cakes. Otherwise, I'll be spending my mony on Corona's on beach and other shore excursions.

We have never haggled for prices in Grand Cayman, but have negotiated a bit. In Coz, certain upscale stores are the same. Some of the others, you can haggle to your heart's content and they may even chase you into the street trying to make a sale. In Costa Maya, we didn't haggle in the shops but did with the vendors both there and in the fishing village (Mahahual).

Archived