Opinions - Mexican Riviera vs. Caribbean?

Hi,

We are looking at a Mexican Riviera cruise for our 25th anniversary. We have been to the Caribbean on cruises and for all inclusive vacations. Can't take the extra time off needed for something really exotic, so were considering something different this time -- the Mexican Riviera itinerary (we live on the east coast). Could we be disappointed in the ports? If this was just another cruise we wouldn't mind trying it just to see, but it is a special occasion.

Any suggestions for the ports of PV, Cabo and Mazatlan?

Thank you!!

We did Mexico this past spring. We just couldn't resist driving to the terminal, as we live in San Diego.

While I enjoyed the ports, my husband just kept saying "It's ok, but it's Mexico." (HE's not a great fan of Mexico.)

The weather in April was great. My 10 year old son says it's his favorite cruise (He's done Caribbean and Alaska before) HE loved the excursions. In Cabo we hung out at the Melia Hotel. In Maatzalan we rode horses with Randi's Happy Horses and in PV we did the Canopy Zipline tour with Canopy Tours (not the one thru the ship) and then went to the Krystal resort for beach time. All of these excursions MADE the trip. We had so much fun!

Mexico isn't the carrib., but it is fun! I just wonder if it is worth flying all the way across the country for.

We've always cruised to the Caribbean. We just returned about a month ago from the same itinerary...Cabo, Maza. PV. I was going with an open mind that this was NOT the Caribbean. It depends too on what's important to you.

Our weather wasn't good except in CAbo. We did the glass bottom boat excursion and spent the rest of the day at the Melia. Very nice there! (Melia)

PV- Did the zip line excursion through Los Veranos company..they have a website. They're much cheaper than the cruise line and much better.

Mazatlan- Hubby and boys went deep sea fishing. My daughter and I went downtown....didn't like it at all and went back to the ship.

Would I go back? No...this was just us. I'm used to blue waters that are warmer. Beautiful tropical islands....

Some people love it...it's very subjective. If you go knowing it's not going to be as nice. It's very deserty and not so pretty in my opinion.

As far as the weather, that just happened. It was so cold coming back and very windy. This was mid June too. But I have read that it's normal to have rougher seas on sea days going and coming back.

I think only you could decide if you like it by trying it. If you don't have to pay airfare either, that helps.

That was the most expensive cruise we've also taken since we went in the summer. We always cruise in the Fall or winter. So that was a bummer. The ship was very nice as we've been on the Pride before. The slide was down, so that was a real bummer for the boys.

Anyways, this was just our experience...what one may not like the other person may love. And you may love the Mexican Riviera. For us, we'll stick with the CAribbean.

I live in LA and personally, I didn't like the Mex Riv. I agree that it might not be worth it to fly all the from the East Coast just for this trip.

Since I live in LA, as a first cruise, my family and I decided to take this cruise. If not for the fact that we enjoyed the cruising part and the time on the ship, I think we would have stopped cruising all together since we didn't like the ports at all. I've always said that I'm glad I did it once, but I wouldn't do it again. If I were to do it again, I wouldn't get off the ship in port.

I've cruised the Caribbean and I have to say that the Caribbean is so much nicer than the Mex Riv.

I am sure that there are a lot of people on these boards that will say differently, but this is just my $0.02.

I would rather fly from the west coast to Florida to take a Carib cruise than to cruise the Mex Riv again where I don't even have to fly, I can just drive to the pier.

For something different and special consider Alaska. It's gorgeous up there. I just came back from my 3rd Alaskan cruise and I can't wait to go back again...

Whatever you decide have a wonderful 25th Anniversary!

We were not impressed with the Mexican Riveria. We are not impressed with Mexico in general. Thats why we try very hard not to do the western Caribean cruises because then generaly have a stop of two in Mexico.

Thats our opinion!

AL & Marilyn

Well, I guess I'll be different. :D

I've done tons of Caribbean cruises, Eastern and Western, and did my first Mexican Riviera cruise this February on the Norwegian Star. I had very low expectations, but LOVED IT! Yes, Mexico is a poor country, but the PEOPLE there were awesome and it's a BEAUTIFUL place.

That was an 8-night cruise that include Acapulco, Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo, Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas. We had one of our best excursions EVER in PV, to Los Caletas, a beach area that included a full lunch (delicious), all the margaritas you could EVER drink (also delicious) ;) , water sports, nature walks...whatever you wanted to do. Really a wonderful day. Saw lots of whales on the way over and back, too.

Cabo is a FUN FUN FUN town, also beautiful, we did a great whale watching tour there and had to go visit Cabo Wabo. :D

I haven't been to Mazatlan so can't comment on that, I also enjoyed Acapulco a lot even though it is a big city...we did a great excursion there too.

There are definite differences between Mexico and the Eastern Caribbean ports, but I would have to say my Mexican Riviera cruise was one of the best cruises I've ever done. I love the Western Caribbean as well and love going to Cozumel. Mexico is a country that offers something for everyone...beaches, adventure tours, lots of history. I hope you try it and see for yourself. :)

Dear Conanc,

My wife and I are considering the Mexican Riviera for our next cruise. We just returned from RC's Mariner of the Seas Western Caribbean 7/3-7/10 cruise. Two of our planned port stops, Grand Cayman and Cozumel, were canceled because of Hurricane Dennis. The captain substituted another day at sea and a day at Nassau, Bahamas (boring). We have decided never to take a summer Caribbean cruise again b/c of the likelihood of weather disruptions. At least the Mexican Riviera has far fewer such disruptions. Also, as near as I can tell, there are no large ships sailing exclusively Mexican Riviera routes. We prefer the new, larger ships but are willing to try a more intimate, elegant ship cruising to the Mexican Riviera. These are some ideas about which you might want to think.

Betterbrown

Well, I guess I'll be different. :D

I've done tons of Caribbean cruises, Eastern and Western, and did my first Mexican Riviera cruise this February on the Norwegian Star. I had very low expectations, but LOVED IT! Yes, Mexico is a poor country, but the PEOPLE there were awesome and it's a BEAUTIFUL place.

That was an 8-night cruise that include Acapulco, Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo, Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas. We had one of our best excursions EVER in PV, to Los Caletas, a beach area that included a full lunch (delicious), all the margaritas you could EVER drink (also delicious) ;) , water sports, nature walks...whatever you wanted to do. Really a wonderful day. Saw lots of whales on the way over and back, too.

Cabo is a FUN FUN FUN town, also beautiful, we did a great whale watching tour there and had to go visit Cabo Wabo. :D ]

We cruised for the first time in the Mexican Riviera in February of this year. We were aboard the Mercury, so RCCL's don't get upset. It's a sister company. We are booked to do the same cruise next February, for Valentines day.

Why? We loved the new experience of the ports. We had friends with us, and most of us had never experienced the ports. One couple does the Mexican Riviera about 4 times a year, so we took their lead in some ports. They are a wonderful couple, who are into beach massages, horseback riding, (Randi's Happy Horses) and more massages in intimate areas of the west coast.

There is so much we have not seen, and want to see, in every port. The areas visited have both wealthy and poor areas, and to see the mixture is an education. We own a place on the other side of Mexico, in Cancun, so to say that the west coast of Mexico is "Mexico" without understanding all of Mexico, is unfair.

Each of us makes our cruises what we want them to be. Some are far better than others, but I won't discount the Mexican Riviera, as I found beauty there, as I find beauty in most parts of the world, only some better than others.

Rick

From what I understand, they are just two very different places....it's like comparing apples to oranges. I'm betting you will have fun with what ever you choose. Personally, we LOVE the Mexican Riviera.

Have a fabulous time!

We have done both the Caribbean and Mexican Riviera cruises, and enjoyed both .(We also flew from the East Coast.) In Cabo, we went to the Melia for the day-the beach is nice,as is the pool. You can also rent jet skiis there.

Mazatlan was my least favorite port. We did book a tour with Mazatlan Frank, and although he is very good, to us mazatlan just is not that interesting.After the tour he dropped us off at the El Cid hotel, and it was really nice .

In PV, we went to the Krystal Hotel for the day, and this was our favorite. We also enjoyed going into town and walking around.

For a special occasion, try to stay pre cruise at the Beach House in Hermosa Beach. (www.Beach-house.com). It is 7 miles south of LAX, right on the beach. You can then take a cab to port for $45-$50.

Dear Conanc,

My wife and I are considering the Mexican Riviera for our next cruise. We just returned from RC's Mariner of the Seas Western Caribbean 7/3-7/10 cruise. Two of our planned port stops, Grand Cayman and Cozumel, were canceled because of Hurricane Dennis. The captain substituted another day at sea and a day at Nassau, Bahamas (boring). We have decided never to take a summer Caribbean cruise again b/c of the likelihood of weather disruptions. At least the Mexican Riviera has far fewer such disruptions. Also, as near as I can tell, there are no large ships sailing exclusively Mexican Riviera routes. We prefer the new, larger ships but are willing to try a more intimate, elegant ship cruising to the Mexican Riviera. These are some ideas about which you might want to think.

Betterbrown

If you want a large ship that is sailing the Mex Riv, try Princess' new (well ok, not brand new, but fairly new) Diamond Princess. I beleive they are still sailing the Mex Riv route and they are a large post Panamax ship.

We cruised for the first time in the Mexican Riviera in February of this year. We were aboard the Mercury, so RCCL's don't get upset. It's a sister company. We are booked to do the same cruise next February, for Valentines day.

Why? We loved the new experience of the ports. We had friends with us, and most of us had never experienced the ports. One couple does the Mexican Riviera about 4 times a year, so we took their lead in some ports. They are a wonderful couple, who are into beach massages, horseback riding, (Randi's Happy Horses) and more massages in intimate areas of the west coast.

There is so much we have not seen, and want to see, in every port. The areas visited have both wealthy and poor areas, and to see the mixture is an education. We own a place on the other side of Mexico, in Cancun, so to say that the west coast of Mexico is "Mexico" without understanding all of Mexico, is unfair.

Each of us makes our cruises what we want them to be. Some are far better than others, but I won't discount the Mexican Riviera, as I found beauty there, as I find beauty in most parts of the world, only some better than others.

Rick

I agree, I think Mexico is beautiful but then I try to appreciate the beauty and culture of the ports that I visit. I also understand that we're not in America so every thing isn't going to be sparkling clean. It's different from what we're use to and that's the beauty of experiencing other cultures.

I also agree with the poster that said your're comparing apples to oranges totally different experiences. It's like trying to compare the Mexican Riviera to Hawaii or Alaska, it's a totally different experience that can't be compared.

A cruise and the ports are what you make it.

As for larger ships the Princess Sapphire will be doing Mexican Riviera itineraries beginning Sept. 30. The Diamond will be going to either Asia or Australia can't remember which one.

My last cruise was a 10-night Mexican Riviera from San Francisco and I loved it! Previously I had been to Eastern Caribbean, Western Caribbean and Bahamas. Like others have said, the atmosphere and scenic beauty of the Mexican Pacific Coast are quite different from the Caribbean, but it all depends on what you're into. If you are mostly beach-oriented, I'd say the Caribbean is better. I live in Albuquerque so not having to travel for a full day to Florida and back gave a HUGE advantage to the Mexican Riviera. If you're coming from the East Coast, you may find this same advantage in the Caribbean. I found it interesting to cruise for 10 nights and hardly ever be out of sight of the North American continent...very different experience than "island hopping" in the Caribbean. However, I found that there was quite a bit of difference in the ports so it wasn't like doing the same stop over and over and over. In Cabo we hung out the gorgeous Melia resort hotel, then took a water taxi for a tour of Los Arcos and Lovers Beach (one of the only beaches in the world to straddle two bodies of water...the Pacific Ocean and the Sea of Cortez). In Mazatlan we did the fantastic Randi's Happy Horses, which is highly recommended not only for the great riding on the beach but also for the experience of seeing the "real" Mazatlan. In Puerto Vallarta, we strolled the waterfront Malecon, got great deals on silver jewelry, went parasailing and drank margaritas at the famous La Palapa on the beach. (Our other stops on that cruise were in California). I loved all the places we went, though Mazatlan was my least favorite. Like others have said, the cruise experience (and any other experience) are what you make it. My next cruise is probably a northbound Pacific coastal repositioning, but then after that I'll return to the Mexican Riviera just for the convenience of the closer departure port.

Have fun!

I hope that in my earlier post I did not give the impression of not enjoying the Mexican Riv. cruise. We loved it, but just not as much as the Carribbean.

The excursions mentioned here are all great! (We did the same ones)

Consider HAL's Oosterdam. It is a beautiful ship and a great size. Big, but not mega-big. THe bonus for me was that it left from San Diego, where live. THere is nothing like driving to the port and being on the ship in a matter of 30 minutes!

Whichever you choose, it is a cruise and you will love it!

Conanc,

What do you enjoy doing in port? If you like snorkeling/water type excursions you will be disappointed with the Mexican Riviera. If you like cultural, shopping or land based excursions, Mexico may be a nice change for you.

We are from the east coast and have done the Mex. Riv twice, the first one left out of LA and last Oct. we took a ten day out of S.F. loved them both but the 10 day was the best. We will be doing the western Car. out of Galveston this Oct. Alaska was great but the people we were seated were not and the opposite happened in Bermuda did not care much for the island but we met great people and had a great time. All in all they were all great but I am not hard to please, Heck one of my favorite places is the New Jersey shore, go figure.

Archived