Teens, 15 and 19, on Liberty (Conquest Class)

We're thinking of a pre-Christmas Western Caribbean cruise on Liberty, a brand new ship in the Conquest Class. (Also considering a similar itinerary on Royal Caribbean Explorer). I'm a little confused about the status of our 15-year-old son in the Carnival teen program. Is he grouped with younger kids (they mention a program for the 12 - 15 age group), or with older teens (I saw one place that 15 is the minimum age for the teen disco, but saw 16 in another).

We also have a 19-year-old son, who will likewise be "caught in the middle"... too young to drink, to old to do teen stuff. Is there any sort of "scene" for the 19s and 20s?

I would guess they would have with a 15-17 yr old group. If they start at 16, then I'm sure they'll still let him in. I don't think they'd be that much of a stickler....he just wants to be with kids more his age.

They look to have an awesome teen club..I saw pics. We just booked for Jan. on the Liberty. If it was me, I'd do the Liberty. We're taking the kids with us later...but Jan. just the two of us. :D

Now if you were talking about going on the Voyager class of RCCL, they have a good teen club as well.

Have fun whatever you decide. I know they have another cruise board..not sure if I'm allowed to mention. But they have a specific teen section that you could ask them. I've done this before as a mom. But with the Liberty just coming out this week, you may not get a response...except what other teens have encountered on other Carnival cruises in this class. If I may mention it, it's Cruisemates.com...go to message boards and they have an area in the bottom left you can click and find the teen board. They have four areas...if this helps....I hope.

Have fun!

Sailed recently on the Conquest with 2 teen boys, 15 and 17.

The age group for Club 02 (teen club) is 15-17. The younger group is 12-14. Carnival changed it's age groupings not too long ago, so that's why you will see mention of the "old" 12-15 year old group.

Your 19 year old will probably meet others his age to hang out with at the disco and comedy shows. If he likes basketball, that's an easy way to meet others. Have him bring his own basketball so he doesn't have to wait in line at the pursers desk to check one out (same goes for ping pong paddles/balls).

BaltoTraveler,

Are we booked on the same cruise?? Liberty Dec 18th?? I've got a 14 1/2 year old daughter and was searching for the same information . . . On our first cruise (Celebration) they really didn't pay much attention to the ages of the "teens" since there were so few of them but . . . I booked the Liberty intentionally so she'd have something to do in the evenings!! I sure hope she's not run out of the disco/lounge at 10:45pm!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone.

Strangely, the Carnival website shows Camp Carnival as 12 - 15, and doesn't mention Club O2 at all. It does say " If your teen loves to dance, we have great news for them. Every night aboard a Carnival cruise our 12- to 15-year-old guests will have the opportunity to "mix and mingle" at our shipboard dance club from 9:30pm to 10:45pm. After 11:00pm, teens 15 and under can join the youth staff for a variety of activities, such as a late night movie, karaoke or outdoor games. Here's the current info:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/Teens.aspx

Yes; we're looking at the Dec 18 cruise. Good itinerary. Good prices. During school vacation, but home by Christmas Eve!

Thanks everyone.

Strangely, the Carnival website shows Camp Carnival as 12 - 15, and doesn't mention Club O2 at all. It does say " If your teen loves to dance, we have great news for them. Every night aboard a Carnival cruise our 12- to 15-year-old guests will have the opportunity to "mix and mingle" at our shipboard dance club from 9:30pm to 10:45pm. After 11:00pm, teens 15 and under can join the youth staff for a variety of activities, such as a late night movie, karaoke or outdoor games. Here's the current info:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/Teens.aspx

QUOTE]

Unfortunately, Carnival doesn't update their website often enough. The new age groups for Camp Carnival and Club02 are mentioned in the newer brochures though. Having sailed in June, I can assure you that your 15 year old will be in Club02 with the 15-17 year olds.

We have been on 12 cruises with our now 17 and 22 daughters. I CANNOT EMPHASIZE ENOUGH....make sure they go to whatever is on schedule for their age group THE FIRST NIGHT!!!!! (there will be a seperate daily activity schedule for kids and teens) Usually the teens do not participate in alot of the planned activities and after the first night they tend to form groups with whoever they meet on that first night and they hang out and do their own thing from then on.

BaltoTraveler,

Are we booked on the same cruise?? Liberty Dec 18th?? I've got a 14 1/2 year old daughter and was searching for the same information . . . On our first cruise (Celebration) they really didn't pay much attention to the ages of the "teens" since there were so few of them but . . . I booked the Liberty intentionally so she'd have something to do in the evenings!! I sure hope she's not run out of the disco/lounge at 10:45pm!!!!!!!!!

Kdickers.. haven't seen you in the roll call...lately come back and chat.

My 15year old son will be happy to dance the night away with your daughter.

just email me (see signature for link below)and they can email before the cruise.. and get to know each other..

He did that last Christmas and there were a half dozen who already knew each other by the time they boarded.

Balto.. have you chosen the Liberty or RCL Explorer?? If its the Liberty come join our roll call...

"I sure hope she's not run out of the disco/lounge at 10:45pm!!!!!!!!!"

Please pardon me, but since the disco is usually 18 and over, why should not those underage be told to leave at a certain time so those of us who are of legal age be able to enjoy the venue as it was meant to be in the later hours of the day? There are many things to do on the ship for teens, and if not, they do manage to find their own fun.............and there are very few adult only areas.......please give us at least some of the areas without fighting about it!

"I sure hope she's not run out of the disco/lounge at 10:45pm!!!!!!!!!"

Please pardon me, but since the disco is usually 18 and over, why should not those underage be told to leave at a certain time so those of us who are of legal age be able to enjoy the venue as it was meant to be in the later hours of the day? There are many things to do on the ship for teens, and if not, they do manage to find their own fun.............and there are very few adult only areas.......please give us at least some of the areas without fighting about it!

The disco/lounge that I'm referring to is the one dedicated for cruisers under the age of 18. That's the main reason I've selected this ship since our last (our ONLY) cruise was on a ship where no dedicated teen area was available.

For myself, I could care less about the nightlife . . . I'm there for the sun, ports, relaxation and pampering but . . . my DD is a typical teen and wants to stay up until 4am :rolleyes: and sleep until 2pm :eek: !!!!!!!!

I'm sorry if this question has offended you but . . . newer, larger ships have encorporated a separate area for this population so they can enjoy their cruise experience within a alcohol free environment. These dedicated areas are also away from (and do not take away from) the adult discos and evening entertainment.

Archived