Papa's on the Jade

buckeye82

Personally I don't think that one could compare the restaurants like that because of multiple reasons. First of all, all NCL restaurants are following the corporate made plan and menu (same as chain restaurants on land) and secondly one can't never know who will be working there (especially in the kitchen) on any given night and that is the biggest variable between the same restaurant on different ships because the members of the crew are individuals and their contracts and work schedules vary.

Only thing that can be said is how the restaurant on some specific day in history was, but as with weather, it doesn't tell you anything about how things are in a month. We have had hits and misses in NCL's Italian restaurants on different ships but we have also had very different experiences on two different nights on the same cruise - absolutely no definitive pattern there that would warrant comparison between ships.

Edited by Demonyte

Just wondering how the specialty Italian restaurant Papa's is on the Jade? We enjoyed the Italian restaurant on POA, but not as much on the Spirit. Just wondering if we should avoid it this cruise.

We ate there on the Jade last month. I think it is called La Cucina now. It was ok. The location behind the buffet is sort of odd. One of our dishes was good - pass on the pizza. Salads were fine.

Personally I don't think that one could compare the restaurants like that because of multiple reasons. First of all, all NCL restaurants are following the corporate made plan and menu (same as chain restaurants on land) and secondly one can't never know who will be working there (especially in the kitchen) on any given night and that is the biggest variable between the same restaurant on different ships because the members of the crew are individuals and their contracts and work schedules vary.

Only thing that can be said is how the restaurant on some specific day in history was, but as with weather, it doesn't tell you anything about how things are in a month. We have had hits and misses in NCL's Italian restaurants on different ships but we have also had very different experiences on two different nights on the same cruise - absolutely no definitive pattern there that would warrant comparison between ships.

Ok...so after saying all that will you be eating in the Italian restaurant on our upcoming Jade cruise?

Ok...so after saying all that will you be eating in the Italian restaurant on our upcoming Jade cruise?

Yep, we pretty much always do. :) On the upcoming Getaway cruise we have the UDP so it might be that we'll be taking advantage of it more and skip the Italian on her, but most likely both on Dawn and Jade we'll eat in there.

We ate there on the Jade last month. I think it is called La Cucina now. It was ok. The location behind the buffet is sort of odd. One of our dishes was good - pass on the pizza. Salads were fine.

Yeah, the Spirit's Italian restaurant was in the buffet also, separated by a screen. My DH was not thrilled with that.

Yeah, the Spirit's Italian restaurant was in the buffet also, separated by a screen. My DH was not thrilled with that.

On Jewel class ships the Italian restaurant is not in the buffet anymore than Le Bistro is in Magnum's Bar. They are not connected in anyway, have completely separate entrances on different sides of stairwell etc.

I have hard time understanding how the location of the Italian restaurant on Jewel class ships would be "odd" - one doesn't even need to walk through the buffet to get there like on Epic.

On Jewel class ships the Italian restaurant is not in the buffet anymore than Le Bistro is in Magnum's Bar. They are not connected in anyway, have completely separate entrances on different sides of stairwell etc.

I have hard time understanding how the location of the Italian restaurant on Jewel class ships would be "odd" - one doesn't even need to walk through the buffet to get there like on Epic.

Well all I know is that in the Spirit's Italian restaurant I sat and watched people in the buffet eating through a hazy glass partition. But it didn't go all the way to the ground so you could see the buffet goers feet clearly. But your right, we went into the buffet and then had to go all the way around even though we could see the restaurant right in front of us through the partition. That's ok, small ship. I wouldn't eat in the Blue Lagoon because of all the people walking through. It was a main walkway from the atrium area.

That's ok, small ship. I wouldn't eat in the Blue Lagoon because of all the people walking through. It was a main walkway from the atrium area.

I can totally relate, I'm on the fence about if I even like the placement of Blue Lagoon/Moderno (or the fact that the corridor is open) on Dawn and Jewel class ships - luckily not too many people use the restaurants as their walkway between midship and aft stairwells on deck 8.

I can totally relate, I'm on the fence about if I even like the placement of Blue Lagoon/Moderno (or the fact that the corridor is open) on Dawn and Jewel class ships - luckily not too many people use the restaurants as their walkway between midship and aft stairwells on deck 8.

Oh no! Moderno too? Haven't tried that yet. Is that in the back of the ship on Jade? I will have to check the deck plans.

Oh no! Moderno too? Haven't tried that yet. Is that in the back of the ship on Jade? I will have to check the deck plans.

They are just above the atrium and the walkway to midship-aft cabins on deck 8 from fwd goes through the restaurants. There is no heavy traffic there though.