Correct Dock for Star Princess

custompcsys

Hi Folks. I'm a bit confused. Can anyone tell me exactly which terminal in Copenhagen the Star Princess departs from for her Baltic itinerary? I'm looking at hotels in Copenhagen for next June and want to get my bearings. I thought this would be too early, but it seems that there is a convention in Copenhagen during the week of 6/12/06 and the hotels are already very booked up, so I need to jump start this. Thanks! :)

Currently the Star docks at the Freeport terminal. This terminal is about a 15 minute taxi ride from the central part of the city. However, you're going in '06 right? things can change.

Mary

Hi Folks. I'm a bit confused. Can anyone tell me exactly which terminal in Copenhagen the Star Princess departs from for her Baltic itinerary? I'm looking at hotels in Copenhagen for next June and want to get my bearings. I thought this would be too early, but it seems that there is a convention in Copenhagen during the week of 6/12/06 and the hotels are already very booked up, so I need to jump start this. Thanks! :)

You may want to try this link. http://www.cmport.com if you haven't looked here already.

I was researching for next June as well and saw this website.There is a link for the passenger cruise ships coming in - don't recall anything on their for next year only 2005- as well as link for the Cruise terminals.

There are 2 areas where ships dock in Copenhagen. Presently, the Star is using the one that is the farthest from everything, but this could change by next year. Where the ship docks should not really influence your choice of a hotel because you can easily reach both cruise terminals by public bus. Better to think about choosing a hotel that is "downtown" and near the attractions you want to visit while you are in Copenhagen. We have stayed at The Square and the First Hotel Vesterbro. Both were excellent and well located near Tivoli/Town Hall Square/Train Station.

hi cruiser 620,

saw that you stayed at the first hotel vesterbro in copenhagen.

my wife and i will be there for 2 nights this sept.

please write down your thoughts on this hotel and any advice that would make our stay there more enjoyable.

thanks

burtshell

burt and shelley

We walked from Freeport Dock to the little Mermaid - it was a long hike - some say 3 miles.

From Town Square, there is a tour bus system that runs 3 tour buses. You can buy a daily pass where you can access any of the three tour lines - getting on and off at will.

A fourth bus was supposed to start July 1st - one that will end at Freeport Dock. Right now, there are no buses that go close enough to be useful.

We stayed in Nyhavn - the canal area. Found it within walking distance to the main square (where you catch the tour buses) - and the canal area is a fun place to hang out at night. We stayed at a Best Western called City Hotel. It was kinda beat up - but clean. The rooms were small, but adequate. The shower was actually smaller than on the Star - can you beat that? It was fine - computers in the lobby for free internet access. Complete free breakfast - thought it was a great location - you could walk around late at night and feel safe.

Go to Copenhagen at least a couple of days early. The tour buses will drop you off at any of the sites - you can buy your tickets and enter the sites - and then get back on one of the next buses when you are done. There is so much to see in Copenhagen - the 2 1/2 days we spent there was not enough time to go inside many of the sites.

To buy tickets for an individual tour bus or all four - you buy your pass from one of the bus drivers. There is no kiosk - no directions - no clue what to do. Guess you could access this information on Copenhagen's tourist website or ask your hotel staff. We hit on it by trial and error. I'm assuming you could even buy your pass over the internet. I suggest a multi-day pass. It was only a few dollars more to buy a two-day pass.

Burtshell,

We stayed at the First Hotel Vesterbro for one night prior to our cruise on 7/14. I booked it through Expedia for $150 (including all taxes). It should be cheaper in Sept. I was very satisfied with the hotel and would stay there again. It is just down the street from Tivoli. Our room was modern, comfortable, and clean, and the staff was helpful and friendly. They have a computer with free internet access for guests. My only complaint was that for some reason our room did not include the breakfast buffet, only "continental breakfast" in the lobby. So you might want to verify what your room rate includes. They have a secured luggage area where we left our stuff while we did some sightseeing after we checked out. Then we came back and got our things and took the public bus to the port. There is a bus stop just a few steps from the hotel, and the bus goes right to the terminal where the Star docks. Next to the hotel on one side is a small grocery store where you can get some drinks, sandwiches, or snacks and on the other side is a restaurant. I think it was just called "Pizza Pasta". The place is small and doesn't look like much, but we ate dinner there and the food was excellent. The menu inside the restaurant (I don't think all of it was posted outside) is very extensive -- not just pizza and pasta. Our meals were well prepared for a reasonable price.

Smudge's mom,

The bus you are talking about is the "hop on/hop off" tour bus, not the public bus. The regular city bus (I think it was #26) stops right at the terminal where the Star docks. You want the bus going to Faergehavn Nord (sp?). As I remember, it runs every 15 - 20 min. but not on Sunday. The bus is very easy to use. There is a sign at each stop which lists the times and stops on the route. The bus even had a sign on the front saying it went to the cruise ships. Just be sure the bus you get on goes all the way to the Star. Don't take the one that only goes to Langeliniekaj (the closer cruise terminal). You can also get to the port by taking the train to Nordhavn. It is about a 10 minute walk from the Nordhavn station to the ship. Both the bus and the train are convenient and MUCH cheaper than a taxi!

I was talking about using the tour buses to explore Copenhagen. We didn't investigate using public transportion to get around the city. I liked using the "hop on hop off" tour buses to explore - because they specifically went to all the "touristy" places.

While we were in Copenhagen, we were told a fourth tour bus line - one that went to Freeport - was starting July 1st. I am not suggesting one would want to use a tour bus to get to port to get on the ship with all the luggage, but I would use it to tour Copenhagen after getting settled into my cabin.

I didn't realize there was a city bus that goes to the port. However, it wouldn't have mattered if we had known - we had too much luggage for a bus trip.

Archived