Our Carnival Liberty Experience 3/29-4/5/14

Enjoying the review! We did this same itinerary a year and a half ago.

When I saw only "Half Moon Cay" was in red font on your title page I thought "Uh-oh, does that mean they missed the port?"....and sadly that was the case.

We missed it too on our cruise, with a cabana (#9) already booked. Very disappointing, but LOTS of OBC to spend! For us, that meant pre-paid Bottomless Bubbles, pre-paid grats and a discount on the Behind the Fun tour! :D

Thank you for reading along, I tried to use the strikethrough font feature for Half Moon Cay but sadly CC doesn't allow it within the tread. As for the OBC, we booked Early Saver so we already had some, we prepaid our gratuities and no one really drinks soda but me and I only drink diet Pepsi products, so we used it for other stuff- it did make our final bill look very nice, so alls good!

Love your review, we will be on the Liberty in early May but it will be a Southern Caribbean out of Port Canaveral.

Thanks for taking the time to read along! More to come.

Goodness! You remind me so much of myself. I am such a planner as well. My family (me 46, DH 49, DD 21, DS 20, DS 16 and his friend 16) will be on the Liberty May 31 sailing. Your review is awesome and I am finding it so helpful.....I am actually taking notes!

Thanks for reading along and I am so happy you can use some of the information-I had hoped I was paying it forward so to speak, since I learned so much from others.

Loving your review so far , thanks.

Thanks for reading along, more to come.

Would you tell me where you got the coupons to Jack's Shack in Grand Turk? Everything I have read this is the place to go. Thank you for your review. I can't wait to see the rest of the new menu.

http://www.jacksshack.tc/

Great Review! Looking forward to the rest of it.....I haven't been on the Liberty (yet!) but have been on her sister ships the Valor and Glory.. I am getting ready to go on my 9th in July and it is still as exciting as the first, I too plan and plan and plan and also pack for my DH and DD so I have to be organized- so I can relate.

Happy Cruising!

Tam

Thanks for reading. I have found that women seem to be the organizers in most families, so I am glad I find myself in such great company!

Thanks for doing a review. You pack just like me :eek:

I think we got on the ship about the same time as you and we went straight to Shorex to pick out our cabana (#14) and then to Guest Services to change people in rooms and get extra room keys also. We also had Anytime Dining, so I'm surprised that we did not meet earlier in the week than at Jack's Shack in Grand Turk! My Granddaughter said she "wanted to stay at that beach forever!" She also loved Topher who would swim with her. You girls dancing on the beach was very entertaining :D

We were so bummed about HMC, mostly because that was our main reason for booking this cruise. We made the best of it, but the chair hogs were horrible on this cruise!! There was one girl in the Serenity area saving 4 loungers and a hammock for 4 people and a couple who saved 2 loungers and a hammock for themselves :mad: Just rude!!!

We got the Calamari, flatbread, and Caesar Salad for the table almost every night and really enjoyed them.

Congrats on your graduation and take care :)

luvcdays- it was great finally putting a face to our correspondence on the roll call. And yes-chair hogs in full force this cruise. I only went up to Serenity to look at it but it seemed that every chair had a towel but no person in it-:mad:!!

My boys really enjoyed the Cesar salad as well (I believe they had it every meal we ate in the dining room) but the menu was a little lacking on choices-we did not go hungry by any means just not a lot of variety.....

Go to Jack's Shack website and click on the Free Rum tab & print out the coupon. I've got mine ready for July. http://www.jacksshack.tc/

Thank you so much for answering this request so quickly.

· I brought OTC meds for everything from heartburn to diarrhea to cough syrup, a small sewing kit that includes a nail kit, band aids & Neosporin- just in case.

· Yes, I use an expandable file folder to organize each day of the trip. I had a file pocket for packing lists in the front; then flight info; hotel confirmation; shuttle confirmation; boarding passes, passports & birth certificates (just in case). DSs carried their school IDs as well as Drivers Permit & Non driver NY State ID cards with them; Bon Voyage purchase receipts (which I had to call to get them to email to me); Cabana rental info & map (printed off the CC forum); copy of confirmation from Godfrey regarding the tour in St Thomas; walking tour & trolley map for San Juan; and copies of coupons for Jack’s Shack in Grand Turk (and you thought I was lying when I said I was type A w/OCD).

· I have envelopes for each day with spending cash. We took $3,000 for our family of 5, allotting so much for each day depending on what we did. I also had two envelopes labeled receipts for each cabin so I could keep track of our spending onboard. Each cabin also got $25 in singles for tipping when ordering room service.

I am loving your review, but I just had to take note of the above sections of your "notes" -- you are SO me! I haven't even went on my first cruise yet (39 days and counting!) but OMG - even for a land vacation, I pack exactly like you do, down to the pharmacy and file folder. I already have one started for this trip and DH thinks I'm crazy. I also have envelopes and money designated for certain things (tips, taxis, etc.). Glad to know I'm not alone in the world ;)

Ha ha ! I read your disclaimer at the beginning and thought oh no I'm not going to read this. I will not like it. Bu-ut - I had to read it:

- you're in Buffalo; I grew up in Hamburg and spent my 20's in Buffalo

- you just got off the Liberty and you're telling me all about the Liberty and eventually I'll get to take MY Liberty cruise

- you have 3 teenage sons and I have 3 teenage sons

- and if that isn't enough - you had one of the cabins that we have booked for our cruise!!!!!!!

SO I am reading your review and loving every minute of it and can't wait for more. Thank you so much for your time and effort in doing this. You're the best, but then Buffaloians are.

Yeah a fellow Buffaloian :D and LOL at our similarities.

Yes please read along, the disclaimer was just that.. I have read as many encouraging remarks on these boards as discouraging and wanted no pretense, so if I advise you of what you will see & read upfront there should be no misunderstandings.

Yay! I found your review! I'm excited to read it! I thought about doing one too.

I liked the flat bread but felt something was missing. Wish it had more flavor.

My DD was in Circle C also. I'm surprised they allowed a 10yo in the older club. She didn't mention it either.

Hello there tmt218- this review is hard work but I need to give back as so many others helped fill my days & nights with reading that I thought I should at the very least let others hear my story.

Flat bread-yes it was missing something-spices maybe, not sure but the flavor just wasn't there for me.

My DS14 moved out of Circle C as the kids were just too young (at least that was his reasoning). Every time I passed the Hot & Cool club in evenings they seemed to be having a great time in their "closed party".

A great review, I can't wait to read the rest.

thanks for taking the time to read along, more to come.

We will be on the Liberty this summer as well, so I am loving your report. I can't wait to hear more about the birthdays, as my son will celebrate his 13th onboard. We have already decided to spend our Grand Turk day at Jack's Shack, so I'm looking forward to hearing about that as well.

Thanks for reading along and yes I'll talk about the birthday a little on my San Juan Day. Just so you know since I ordered him a cake they brought that out with candles and then the waiters & tables around us joined in singing Happy Birthday-if you opt not to purchase the cake they will just bring out the dessert (regular) with a candle to sing (you just remind the maitre d when you check in at dinner that you have a birthday person today). Hope this helps!

On the Liberty in Jan. been to Grand Turk and love Jacks Shack.

Yes Jack & Janet (and Topher of course) are just great and it's not a bad thing that there chef makes a mean jerk chicken to boot!:D:D

I'm learning so much from your report! Thank you for sharing.

Thanks for reading along, more to come.

What was your major in college?

Business Management, graduated with honors Magna Cum Laude -yes, I am very proud of this. :D

I am loving your review, but I just had to take note of the above sections of your "notes" -- you are SO me! I haven't even went on my first cruise yet (39 days and counting!) but OMG - even for a land vacation, I pack exactly like you do, down to the pharmacy and file folder. I already have one started for this trip and DH thinks I'm crazy. I also have envelopes and money designated for certain things (tips, taxis, etc.). Glad to know I'm not alone in the world ;)

Thank you for reading along and yes there is nothing wrong with being organized (I say do you) & your DH will thank you in the middle of the night when he gets heartburn so bad he thinks he is dying (or just wants too)-and yes this has happened on our trips-LOL!

Organizers Unite!!!!

Business Management, graduated with honors Magna Cum Laude -yes, I am very proud of this. :D

Thank you for reading along and yes there is nothing wrong with being organized (I say do you) & your DH will thank you in the middle of the night when he gets heartburn so bad he thinks he is dying (or just wants too)-and yes this has happened on our trips-LOL!

Organizers Unite!!!!

Great job I asked because you are so organized I'm organized but not to that level if you can get another cruise to HMC definitely try to book the island is so beautiful. Oh I was an education major and graduated with high honors too!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OK, sorry about the break but Life got in the way yesterday, thank you to everyone for reading along, now where did I leave off.....yes our almost Half Moon Cay day-now Sea Day yes after dinner............

Entertainment:

Adult Comedy Show- Will Marfoni, who has cerebral palsy and speaks about having it in his show but let me tell you, he is one funny guy. I thought he was great, my BFF not so much. If you might get offended by religious jokes (he might not be for you). If you're offended by sex jokes (he might not be for you) but I have to tell you Moppet (she works for Carnival & is in charge of the comedy club) is very honest that if you are easily offended

"They have ice cream on the lido deck that does not offend and you might want to partake of that instead of staying for the show." Pictures/videos are not allowed during the show either, just so you know.

We hit the lido deck for the Redfrog Caribbean Beach party this night as well-it seemed to be about over when we got there, which was OK we got pizza & lemonade -some also got hot dogs from Good Eats (DH) who then needed a Pepcid before bed-LOL!

Towel Animal tonight

DSCN1150.JPG

I have to tell you our room steward (Putu) was good to us all week, of course after I had a little talking to him on day one regarding DS14 birthday decorations not being up, all was good.

Great job I asked because you are so organized I'm organized but not to that level if you can get another cruise to HMC definitely try to book the island is so beautiful. Oh I was an education major and graduated with high honors too!!!!

Yes Half Moon Cay is beautiful (we were there in 2012), and it is as beautiful as Princess Cay, which we went to in 2010, Congrats on your high honors as well!!!!

I was on the 3/15 sailing. Sorry you didn't make it to HMC. It is beautiful! Thanks for doing the review. Great Job!

Thanks for reading along and yes missing HMC was a bummer!

Really enjoying your review!

Thank you, more to come!

Edited by Buffalofirsttimer4

FIRST (Second) SEA DAY & ELEGENT NIGHT (Monday March 31)

So will we make it to brunch and use our free drink coupons……………

Pre-breakfast: Coffee & Tea delivered to the cabin, croissant with butter and a yogurt.

Breakfast: Went to the Emile’s (buffet) at 10am thinking I was just telling everyone DH & I are headed to the dining room for Brunch- NOPE, he decides we are already there so let us just stay. I get an omelet (Elmer is great by the way he makes my omelet every time I have one) with spinach, ham, peppers. They have all sorts of goodies-ham, bacon, cheese (mozzarella & cheddar), veggies, if you like omelets you have to check them out onboard.

After breakfast we decided to see if we could find any loungers to lay out near any action-none to be found that did not have a towel, book or flip flop sitting on them, and of course this is without a person also sitting in them- chair hogs in full force!

We headed up to deck 10 again, not as windy as the day before and laid out for a while. The boys, we only saw them when we got them up to eat breakfast on port days & at dinner, other than that they did their own thing-playing basketball, hanging out with new friends in o2, etc.

Lunch: Since I tried fish & chips yesterday it was time to head back to Guys- OMG, these things are addictive but I can only eat one –Straight up with extra donkey sauce (spicy mayo). I have to tell you that toppings bar is great!

I did take a few pictures of ship today so I guess I can insert them now:

Atrium Chandelier (it changes colors-so cool):

DSCN1201.JPG

Lobby area (deck 3):

DSCN1202.JPG

Glass ceiling looking up:

DSCN1203.JPG

Lido Deck from deck 10 (Outdoor movie screen area):

DSCN1204.JPG

Water slid (which sadly I did not try out):

DSCN1205.JPG

Being Elegant Night we go back to the cabin a little early since I need to flat iron my hair (which is a chore). I use a spray in product to get it straight (or at least to resemble straight for a little while). Takes about 30-45 minutes to part each piece and flatten it out. Prior to the cruise I knew we would do a family pic (although it’s not complete since I am missing one of my DS this trip) and yes I preplanned our outfits to coordinate- LOL!

I have to say we clean up well (if I do say so myself):

IMG_20140407_153153.jpg

DS17; DS15; DS14:

IMG_20140407_152754.jpg

DH with DSs:

IMG_20140407_153355.jpg

I am leaving on the Liberty on the 19th.......10 days to sailing! My first time on Carnival and your review is great!

It is just my boyfriend and I....both of our first vacations without kids. Between us we have 6! This is his first cruise......my 6th.

I am freaking out because I did a GTY Interior and paid in full in February and I still do not have a cabin assignment. I called to upgrade and they said I could not because I booked Pack and Go and no assignment yet.

My main concern is the quality of the food and the cabins......

at each port we have great excursions planned and I have been to 2 out of the 4 already.

Looking forward to more pics and commentary!

I am leaving on the Liberty on the 19th.......10 days to sailing! My first time on Carnival and your review is great!

It is just my boyfriend and I....both of our first vacations without kids. Between us we have 6! This is his first cruise......my 6th.

I am freaking out because I did a GTY Interior and paid in full in February and I still do not have a cabin assignment. I called to upgrade and they said I could not because I booked Pack and Go and no assignment yet.

at each port we have great excursions planned and I have been to 2 out of the 4 already.

OMG- you are going to have so much fun. When we went on our prior two cruises they were without the kids and no worries about the GTY Interior-you might luck up with a great cabin. We booked this way with Princess and it was a great location & cabin for us.

Food is very subjective, you will not starve I can tell you that but choices in the MDR as less than before, doesn't make it bad just letting you know. If all else fails you can ask for the kids menu and order off it (all the boys did and they are teenagers), I ordered the banana split (which I am going to talk about in my next installment.....

My concern has been with the food also when I first went on my first cruise some years ago the food was spectacular now it's subjective like she said but I never went hungry but I didn't gain any weight either that should tell you something.

Dinner: OK, it’s Elegant night so we all know what that means….Lobster & Prime Rib night in the MDR. There is a small wait tonight, yes we got a pager and tonight we all get to sit together at one table-YEAH. I have to tell you after reading others reviews of the “new menus” we thought we would have small refreshment sitting on our tables, like others have stated they received- NOPE nothing, just water and a smaller menu selection than the day before. What we found out was you could still order the items from the grill, as I ordered a flat iron steak to go with my lobster tail (yes the shrimp are still included with this dish) so I could have surf & turf.

This is the night the kids had a kids menu placed in our already folded napkins on the table. FYI- normally the person walking you to the table brings your menus with you, not tonight they are already on the table. Chicken nuggets and what my DS15 called “better pizza than the lido deck” prevailed. The desserts did not look appetizing, I think there are only two listed with Warm Melting Cake being one of them (sorry I do not like it-reminds me of my undercooked Easy-Bake oven cake as a child). The banana split I got from the kids menu was great and DH asked for three scoops of sorbet, which the rest of the adults also asking for it. We got another “Cruiser” drink tonight, along with the bottle of wine DH brought into the dining room with us and yes we were charged the corkage fee of $10.

Entertainment:

Tonight we checked out pictures, stood by the Casino on deck 5 for Guess that Motown Song & party (no chairs available, as we were late after changing clothes). Had we arrived on time, I think we might have gotten a ship on the stick as we knew most of the artist and songs-LOL!

After that we just hung out and then headed to the Adult comedy to see Jason Blanchard-who I thought was funny as well. Again if you are easily offended-don’t go! Forgot to mention tried the Punchliner (Blue) drink again, very tasty-sour but packs a punch. Of course then it was time for pizza, lemonade, hot dogs-found out they have chips where the hot dogs are-you just have to ask for them!

I’ll apologize again as I forgot my camera in the cabin today and as I just went through all our pics I noticed I did take pictures of food for the 2nd elegant night, so bear with me.