Will it smell? Cabin 2299 on sunshine

sunrise2

That is the question? My DH and I will be sailing on the Carnival Sunshine in Cabin 2299. Can anyone who has had this cabin tell me will it smell or not. After reading all the negative reviews about stink on this ship I have to wonder if this cabin is included in the smell issue. Right now we cannot pay the extra $ to upgrade to a balcony so we have to stay put unless the upgrade fairy calls....

Absolutely not. We had a large group a few months ago on the Sunshine on all decks including a few in the 2260's. No one encounterd any smells in their rooms or anywhere else on the ship. Enjoy your trip. Most smelly remarks are from people that never stepped foot on the Sunshine.

Absolutely not. We had a large group a few months ago on the Sunshine on all decks including a few in the 2260's. No one encounterd any smells in their rooms or anywhere else on the ship. Enjoy your trip. Most smelly remarks are from people that never stepped foot on the Sunshine.

Thank you. We are looking forward to our trip on the Sunshine. We sailed on her when she was the Destiny and look forward to see the changes.:)

Depends on if you bath regularly

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lol

I was going to say, if your DH is like my DH, then it's quite possible there are going to be times it'll get a little ripe.

Or...

You should be fine if y'all stay away from the burrito bar...

Harhar

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

A general tip that I post whenever the question of a smelly cabin comes up, regardless of ship or line;

The bathroom will have a floor drain (not the shower drain)(sometimes a long grill right by the door). A combination of ship's motion and the a/c tend to dry out the trap in this drain. Since it does not see much water (usually only drips from after shower, or splashes from shower), it can dry out the trap completely, and then the "sewer" smell (actually only water from sinks and showers, not toilets) can back up in your cabin. A glass of water down this drain daily usually will keep the stink gremlins away.

Lol

I was going to say, if your DH is like my DH, then it's quite possible there are going to be times it'll get a little ripe.

Or...

You should be fine if y'all stay away from the burrito bar...

Harhar

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

OK Thanks I will keep DH away from the burrito bar. Forgot they had one.:)

A general tip that I post whenever the question of a smelly cabin comes up, regardless of ship or line;

The bathroom will have a floor drain (not the shower drain)(sometimes a long grill right by the door). A combination of ship's motion and the a/c tend to dry out the trap in this drain. Since it does not see much water (usually only drips from after shower, or splashes from shower), it can dry out the trap completely, and then the "sewer" smell (actually only water from sinks and showers, not toilets) can back up in your cabin. A glass of water down this drain daily usually will keep the stink gremlins away.

Tip noted. Thank you :)

That is the question? My DH and I will be sailing on the Carnival Sunshine in Cabin 2299. Can anyone who has had this cabin tell me will it smell or not. After reading all the negative reviews about stink on this ship I have to wonder if this cabin is included in the smell issue. Right now we cannot pay the extra $ to upgrade to a balcony so we have to stay put unless the upgrade fairy calls....

I spent a week on Sunshine over New Year's and did not encounter any smells.

I loved Sunshine and had a great time. My cabin was on deck 1 aft port side.

I know you have a lot of insight into marine construction so maybe you can answer the question about outside smells. What would cause horrible outside odors of sewage?

We had a cove balcony on the Breeze and it wasn't constant, but in the mornings of our sea days our balcony was pretty much unusable due to a foul odor - like the worst rotting sewage smell you can imagine. I'm tough, I was a skeptic about the smell reports.... then it hit me. :eek: It was overpowering and BAD. It wasn't the whole cruise and I only noticed an occasional quick whiff of it in interior public areas of the ship. But something forward on the ship was emitting this odor only while at sea and at certain times of day - a sewage treatment vent maybe?

I know you have a lot of insight into marine construction so maybe you can answer the question about outside smells. What would cause horrible outside odors of sewage?

We had a cove balcony on the Breeze and it wasn't constant, but in the mornings of our sea days our balcony was pretty much unusable due to a foul odor - like the worst rotting sewage smell you can imagine. I'm tough, I was a skeptic about the smell reports.... then it hit me. :eek: It was overpowering and BAD. It wasn't the whole cruise and I only noticed an occasional quick whiff of it in interior public areas of the ship. But something forward on the ship was emitting this odor only while at sea and at certain times of day - a sewage treatment vent maybe?

I will qualify by saying that I'm not familiar with the Breeze's equipment, but I can make some general comments. Most cruise ships these days have an "advanced waste water treatment" plant that takes all waste water onboard (sinks, showers, toilets, galleys, laundry) and treats is before it goes overboard to a condition where the effluent is virtually clean, pure fresh water.

Generally, these plants have very little smell involved in the treatment stream. However, the collecting tanks have vents that are piped all the way up to the funnel, so any smells from there can be wafted down by stray gusts of wind.

One place I have experienced really serious sewage smells is when the ship has a process where the solid waste left over from the treatment (basically paper fibers) is dried and sent to the incinerator for burning. This usually involves introducing a deodorizing agent into the "product", but this is not always effective. This could be why you only noticed this at sea, since the incinerator can only be operated at sea. I remember one NCL ship where the air vent from the incinerator room was near the air intake for the MDR, and they pumped this awful smell into the MDR at dinner time.:eek:

I always bring one of those cheap solid air fresheners to put in our cabin. I try to find a nice tropical kind of smell. They are only around a dollar and I just throw it out when we leave. I also have a small spray air freshener that we keep in the bathroom for those "after burrito" times. ;) I buy one that is usually in the auto air fresheners at WalMart called Ozium (yellow can) I think it is vanilla scent. Very small can, much smaller than a normal can.

Edited by Mysticks1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just off the Sunshine a week ago. We experienced a vibration in our cabin 2243 that felt like a bent prop. Every second I would feel two slight shakes, and the seas were calm. I felt this from port Canaveral to our first port Curacao. It was becoming irritating. Others on the ship felt it and others did not. On the cruise back to Canaveral the vibration was gone ! I have been on over thirty cruises and have never had this vibration before. My dw did smell a slight odor in the hall way on two occasions.

I can't speak to the Deck 2 room question because our room was on the Lido deck, but we were on the Christmas sailing and noticed a sewage smell on Decks 4 and 5 midships (and, yes, the Pixels area was where we also noticed it the most). We also noticed at at muster on the outside deck, but our muster station was midship on deck 5.

Just got off the sunshine yesterday and we didn't encounter any odors or buckets in the halls, and we were all over the ship. We were on deck 1. I thought being on deck 1 with all cabins above us, it would be very quiet, well the crew on deck 0 was constantly working hammering and drilling for the first 4 days thru out the night and day. Sometimes I would bang back on the floor. Lol. I didn't let that ruin my vacation we had a fabulous time. I will be pickier on choosing my room on a higher level next year. I will sail on the sunshine again. Any day on the water is better than a day at work!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The kids had a good time in camp carnival and the slides they thought were awesome. A little to high for me...lol. On the 1st sea day the lines were longer but not bad, while in each port we would get back about 3 or so and no lines at all. The last sea day they werent open because of high winds and very rough seas. She was a great ship, in the elevator the last day a man made a comment that he sure was glad he didn't listen to the negative reviews and booked his cruise on her he loved everything and had a wonderful time.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app