Western Caribbean Docking questions

Mjasp

When we went last December with Costa we docked at both places. At Key West there are lots of arranged transport waiting to take you to town free of charge and in Cozumel it is walking distance from the dock to the taxi's and shops.

Mjasp:

In Key West you will dock at the old Navy Pier. As it is Navy property, only authorized persons are able to access the area. Transportation between the Navy Pier and downtown Key West is arranged with trolley's. There is no charge for this service. Just make sure to catch the last trolley in the town center (Costa will tell you the time), as you may have to walk back to the Pier or even miss the ship.

In Cozumel we docked at the new Cruise Ship Pier, which is within walking distance to shops, rental car offices and other amenities. We rented a Jeep and drove around the island and stopped at several sightseeing places and beaches... we had a great time!

Happy Cruising....

Andy ;-)

Thanks Andy...

In Jamaica (Ocho Rios) do you dock or tender and can you walk to a beach from the ship? Costa doesn't have a beach only excursion and I am kind of weary to venture a cab on my own in Jamaica.

Joanna

You dock in Ocho Rios too. Taxi's are there waiting for you, In Jamaica only take a taxi with JUTA on the side they are official taxi's. We took a shared minibus to Dunns River Falls and the same driver picked us up. There seemed to be a new cruise terminal in Jamaica but with Costa we docked at an old terminal, but there was security and only offical taxi's were allowed in. I know there is a beach at the base of the falls, but we just do the falls and return back to the ship as we find Jamaica tough with our boys, they are constantly trying to sell you stuff and won't leave you alone. I know they have to make money, but they make me nervous. The falls are superb and definitely worth a trip. Be careful through the market on the way out. One of the sellers asked my father and mother in law their name's and they told them, then they ran after them and had carved their names into 2 little wooden men and told them they had to buy them, which they reluctantly did. They looked like little voodoo dolls and so we wouldn't allow them to take them on the ship.... They tried to get my boys to talk so they could carve their names on drums, but the boys were under strcit orders not to talk - pretty hard for a 4 and 5 year old. They did a good job. We now just enjoy the quiet time on the ship when most people are off touring.

Yeah... I completely agree with jeb... watch out for the market when you exiting the falls. We experienced the same thing: the vendors will be glued to your back and trying to sell you all kind of wooden or crafted items. They almost had success with our 12-year olds son and daughter, but we simply smiled, said "no thanks" and kept walking. Don't stop! With the beauty of the falls, the exit was the most annoying time, as you thought you get hunted down by the vendors.

When you dock, you are able to walk to a nearby shopping center, which name disappeared from my memory. Our table mates walked through Ocho Rios towards the falls and had their own experiences with the locals, from prostitutes to drug dealers. They said they would never attempt that again and would take a taxi next time.

We hired a private driver and assistant, which was our tour guide. They took us from the dock to the falls, then to a private beach (no pesky vendors there, just a nice beach bar and grill) and then shopping afterwards! Well worth the money we paid, and we had a great time!

Andy

Archived