Drink Cards

FunGal

Does Crown Princess have drink cards which include alcohol, bottled water and wine? Going on May 31, 2014 out of Whittier, AK.
Yes. $49/pp/day plus 15% gratuity for unlimited beverages. Not sure if it includes bottled water but it does include sodas, alcohol, wine by the glass, brewed coffee, mocktails, etc. plus 40% off a bottle of wine. Purchase onboard.

I have been reading that it does not include bottled water, Pam. But, there was a couple on our last cruise in February that did get bottled water with the full package. So, maybe now that it is more wide spread, they have redefined the rules?

I didn't realize Princess had this offering. When did it start? I don't recall it on our AK cruise last summer. Thanks!
It was tested on a couple of ships earlier this year and was rolled out to all Princess ships in late February.

It was tested on a couple of ships earlier this year and was rolled out to all Princess ships in late February.

Thank you Pam! For us way more than we would ever spend but a good concept for those that do. We are good with the coffee card! They still have those right?

We are good with the coffee card! They still have those right?
Yup. Nothing has been changed or modified with regards to soda card, ultimate soda card or coffee card.

The all-inclusive package is designed to make money. Lots of money. :) That's the bottom line. A few will get the full value but most will get the convenience.

Yup. Nothing has been changed or modified with regards to soda card, ultimate soda card or coffee card.

The all-inclusive package is designed to make money. Lots of money. :) That's the bottom line. A few will get the full value but most will get the convenience.

Yes, I surely agree-LOTS of money. I'll be honest cruising is something we do when the prices are really low. The best was our 14 day Alaska last summer for 629 each. Less per day than the drink card! Anyway, thanks. I'm glad the coffee card is still out there! We do use it for brewed and well worth it. I guess some may make full use of this one, but I think more will be convenience as well.

We found the card slightly more inconvenient and probably didn't break even on it, so we likely won't be doing it again.

1 - we do enjoy ordering a bucket of six beers to the room along with some room service, to hang out on the balcony for a couple of hours. We did find ourselves gathering beer like squirrels gather nuts, to keep in our fridge for those times.

2 - You still have to sign, so no savings there, and more often than not, we each had to sign for our own drink, so actually, an extra signature per round of drinks was required.

(Again, slightly inconvenient. :-) )

2 - You still have to sign, so no savings there, and more often than not, we each had to sign for our own drink, so actually, an extra signature per round of drinks was required.
Not sure if I understand this since the all-inclusive beverage card is not shareable so you'd each have your own and have to sign no matter what. That wouldn't be an extra signature under any circumstance. Edited by Pam in CA

Not sure if I understand this since the all-inclusive beverage card is not shareable so you'd each have your own and have to sign no matter what. That wouldn't be an extra signature under any circumstance.

Normally when we go to Crooners, or just a bar, we'd each order a drink but they'd put in on one card, requiring one signature. The bartenders were extra busy running two cards per couple when one used to suffice. In terms of convenience, that makes it slightly less convenient.

Somewhere around the 2nd day, the bartenders started recognizing us, so they'd let my husband grab two beers and sign for both, but if we were both there, they'd run both cards.

Normally when we go to Crooners, or just a bar, we'd each order a drink but they'd put in on one card, requiring one signature. The bartenders were extra busy running two cards per couple when one used to suffice. In terms of convenience, that makes it slightly less convenient.

Somewhere around the 2nd day, the bartenders started recognizing us, so they'd let my husband grab two beers and sign for both, but if we were both there, they'd run both cards.

That does sound like more trouble than worth esp. if you don't realize any savings from the cost of the card.

That does sound like more trouble than worth esp. if you don't realize any savings from the cost of the card.

Yes. It's still early in the program so I expect Princess will figure out ways to smooth out the process. We did some basic calculations and figured we came out slightly behind. Not a problem if there's a convenience.

The only convenience we realized was a shorter charge summary at the end of the cruise. That's not worth it to us.

Plus, we probably drank more than we normally would just to try and break even, so we'll likely save even more just paying as we go in the future.

Yes. It's still early in the program so I expect Princess will figure out ways to smooth out the process. We did some basic calculations and figured we came out slightly behind. Not a problem if there's a convenience.

The only convenience we realized was a shorter charge summary at the end of the cruise. That's not worth it to us.

Plus, we probably drank more than we normally would just to try and break even, so we'll likely save even more just paying as we go in the future.

Funny! But probably more costly! Esp. if you don't usually drink that much. We found bringing the box of wine on board and ordering from the room service/prepurchase small bottles of alcohol worked for us. We aren't big drinker and the coffee card works the best for us for value.

Yes. It's still early in the program so I expect Princess will figure out ways to smooth out the process.

I hope so. We had the alcohol package on Celebrity, and they ran our cards every time, but we never had to sign. Nor did we have to sign for the Unlimited Soda & More Package on Princess. I wonder why they decided that you had to sign for the alcohol package?

As far as price is concerned, I think I'll come out better (if not even) by doing the Unlimited Soda & More ($8.05/day), the coffee card ($31, so $4.30/day on a 7 day cruise), and bring my own wine & water. Even assuming I buy 2 bottles of water per day ($6), I don't think I could drink enough alcohol to make up the difference in price!

I hope so. We had the alcohol package on Celebrity, and they ran our cards every time, but we never had to sign. Nor did we have to sign for the Unlimited Soda & More Package on Princess. I wonder why they decided that you had to sign for the alcohol package
Possibly because people started abusing it from the get-go? On the Sapphire, my sister was shocked to see a man at a table with 7 friends go up to the bar 8 times and get drinks for himself and his friends. People brag about getting soda for their friends with the soda card/sticker and I suspect alcohol "slippage" will cost Princess a heck of a lot more than a Coke. Their rationale? No one said anything. Edited by Pam in CA

That would certainly be the more realistic view. I was thinking that it's for inventory control purposes. They probably don't care enough about soda to track the unlimited consumption of those, but I would imagine that it's a whole different story for liquor, wine, and beer.

When the soda card was first introduced you did have to sign for each drink, and they were very strict about not bringing you another until you had finished the previous one. I remember one day in Crooners on the CB in 2007 a woman who demanded a second soda as soon as the waiter brought the first; when he refused she started shrieking like a three year old "If I tell you to give one to my husband you have to do it!" As if on cue the entire staff walked into the back until she left. But it didn't take Princess much longer to surrender to the server hoppers, simply raising the price to compensate. For this new drink program, since the requirement for all in the same stateroom to buy in came and went in a blink of the eye my guess as well is that once Princess is satisfied that the program is profitable and that inventory is adequately tracked signing will end and single chits for cabinmates who do both enroll will be the norm.

Possibly because people started abusing it from the get-go? On the Sapphire, my sister was shocked to see a man at a table with 7 friends go up to the bar 8 times and get drinks for himself and his friends. People brag about getting soda for their friends with the soda card/sticker and I suspect alcohol "slippage" will cost Princess a heck of a lot more than a Coke. Their rationale? No one said anything.

So there are more thieves on Princess than Celebrity? I find that hard to believe. And I have no problem requiring the card to be scanned every time (inventory control - and we got a printout of every drink on our final bill, with $0 listed), but signature not required. They just handed our cards back to us. (It also allowed me to take both our cards to the bar & get drinks for my husband and me - no cheating, both cards run. Just more convenient.)

I simply don't see how signing is more of a deterrent than just running the cards.

Thank all for your responses...will have to think about purchasing as I called Princess and it is good for drinks $10 or less. Above $10 you pay the usual price. Will also look into the bar set-up.

I was a little confused. Does everyone in the same cabin have to purchase the drink card? My husband is considering this, but I know I wouldn't get my money's worth.

No they do not as of mid March. That was the original plan but no doubt got lots of flack for the obvious reasons and justly so. I DID hear on our last cruise there was a 20" "timer" on drink orders. I read the sign hawking the program that was on display and think I actually read that too but could be mistaken. Why didn't they have this wonderful program in the early '90's?????

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I simply don't see how signing is more of a deterrent than just running the cards.
I have no idea... I'll never get one and it's not my problem so it doesn't affect me. As a shareholder, I think it's great that Princess has found a way to make more money due to slippage. Edited by Pam in CA

No they do not as of mid March. That was the original plan but no doubt got lots of flack for the obvious reasons and justly so. I DID hear on our last cruise there was a 20" "timer" on drink orders. I read the sign hawking the program that was on display and think I actually read that too but could be mistaken. Why didn't they have this wonderful program in the early '90's?????

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

(there was a 20" "timer" on drink orders) May I ask, what does this mean? I am guess 20 minutes between each drink order? or is it a 20 drink limit? I can hardly imagine having 20 drinks but maybe some do... Couldn't do it for all the money in the world.