Greece and Dubrovnik Excursions

NJFrench

I'll be doing that same trip in June. My 13 year old cousin wants to see ancient ruins so we are taking MSC excursions to the Acropolis in Athens, Olympia in Katakolon, and Arkrotiri in Santorini. In Dubrovnik we are doing the MSC trip to St. Jacobs beach. In Corfu there is a small village called Gouvia, ten minutes away by cab that has a lovely pebble beach and some quaint little shops. And in Bari we may get off the ship to look around with in walking distance of the ship but we will most likely just relax that day.

I'm hoping that my research pays off since I haven't actually been to any of these places yet but I like to be prepared. Hope you have a great trip!

You don't need to book an excursion for Dubrovnik. You don't even need to book the ship bus to the old town if there are two or more of you in your party.

Papcx will be along in a minute with his highly informative guide to the port and what to do. He was our unoffical tour guide for the day and did a great job.

We were there a week ago and it was one of the best port stops on our cruise. Paul - over to you.

If you are willing to walk a little it would be best to take the train to Athens. The worst way to approach the city is by road, both from scenery and time. The train station is easy to find. Turn left when you come out of the port and keep the sea to you left. Eventually (maybe 1 mile, but there are busses), you will come across an foot bridge over the road. Take that, and the station is just there. It is cheap and quick to get right to the heart of Athens. We got off right at the Acropolis, but I can't remember the station name. Enjoy!

NJFrench- Yes. If you go to the shore excursions tab and select your destination it will list the excursions offered. The prices are in Euros. They do seem to have some good ones and I know it costs more and is more crowded than going on your own but I feel like it is safer and less stressful to let them guide me.

I rarely do the ship provided excursions in the caribbean because I have been there many times and already know what I want to do and how to do it but since it is my first time to Italy/Greece/Croatia I'd just as soon let someone else do the work and just follow along.

Santorini is a tender port, so if you don't get a ticket for an early boat, you may have to wait ages for the cable car up to town. There are a lot of steps of you choose to walk it and there is the hazard of donkey poo! There is also a service bus in town that will take you to Oia from Fira (or is it Thira - memory ain't what it used to be). When I was there there was a local tour available at the quayside complete with ticket kiosk. Think it was €20. It was a boat trip around to Oia and then coach onto Fira and cost of cable car back down to where the ships tender. Didn't use it. Myself as I was on an early boat, but people T my table did and thought it was a good wY to see the main sights.

I agree with MooMoo, you do not need a tour for Dubrovnik. It's really easy to do on your own. You can just explore the old town within the walls, or do the wall walk or both.

Corfu town is easy to do on foot too but you will need transport there (shuttle, taxi or local bus). If you want to see more of the island and not restrict yourself to Corfu town! then maybe do a tour.

On the Greece ports of call section there are numerous posts telling you how to do Athens on your own.

BARI

Bari is a very easy walk off the ship into the picturesque old city, about 400 - 500 yards (5 mins) the way into the old city is directly oposite the dock gate.

Here's are bits out of two of my reviews

The Ship was docked as close to the dock gates as it is possible to be so a 5 minute walk and we were inside the old walled city just walking up the quaint alleyways and narrow streets until we happened upon one of the well-known sights. These included the Basilica dedicated to St. Nicholas (Santa Claus) which serves two religions; both the RC church and down in the crypt the Orthodox Church. We also found (deliberately) the Cathedral, dedicated to St. Sabinus; the punishment pillar and the Fortress.

This is a port we have been to several times although for the first time the HOHO bus and the road train were waiting on the dock side. Another interesting development was the presence of tourist rickshaws. The driver we spoke to had excellent English and offered a tour of the old town , with commentary, for €30 for two people for a 1 hr ride. That seemed to be a reasonable price, he may have been open to negotiation, but we were content to walk.

Here is a link to my sky drive which has maps and port info on Bari (printable)

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=1cdc327c72a4c6d9#cid=1CDC327C72A4C6D9&id=1CDC327C72A4C6D9%21407&v=3

DUBROVNIK

This is a quote from a review of mine

Here we were at the gangway at 07:20, first off, on the shuttle bus ($10 all-day pass) and walking to the cable-car by 07:45. We got to the cable car at 07:50, to beat the rush only to find that it didn’t open until 09:00. Undeterred it was down to the walls ( 70 Kuna, credit cards or local currency only, NO EUROS accepted, one circuit only) and took a leisurely stroll around ( 1 hour 10 mins) and had done the 1 circuit allowed before it got crowded. Back to the cable car (87 Kuna per return journey credit cards or local currency only) by 09:20, no queues. A quick ride and you’re at the top for a brilliant view of the old city.

After a 30 minute wander around the cable-car station it was back down for a walk about in the town, which by now was heaving, take some photos and back to the ship for the early sail away, 13:00

And another link for maps and info on Dubrovnik (printable)

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=1cdc327c72a4c6d9#cid=1CDC327C72A4C6D9&id=1CDC327C72A4C6D9%211147&v=3

PIREASUS

If you want an alternative to seing Athens and the acropolis (if you hvae been before)

Then i would recommend the corinth Canal trip

From my review

This was a full day consisting of a 75 min drive to the ancient ruins of Corinth with an hour visiting the sights, then on to our boat for a there and back cruise along the canal with a light lunch of mezze and ouzo on the return trip. Then it was time for the 45 minute drive back. This is a trip I would heartily recommend to anyone who has been to the Parthenon and wants something different to do. It was not cheap, $92 and does require about 1 mile of walking on some uneven surfaces. It was made all the better by there being only 18 people with the use of a 56 seat coach and the ship could easily have taken 200 passengers. There was one lady who used a mobility scooter for the majority of the tour only walking when absolutely necessary.

KATACOLON

THis is literaly a one street town the only other option is Olympia (which is somewhat disappointing) nad they are local taxis to be easily found to take you there

LINKS to the two reviews from which I take my quotes each contains lots of photos.

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=274&t=4191

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=270&t=4472

Hope this information helps

Pete

I would agree with the suggestion to take the train into Athens. It was about a mile walk to the train station, and we took the train to the Thessio station, which stops in the Plaka. You have to walk up hill to get to the Acropolis. there is an Acropolis train station, but getting there involved changing trains.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you. I am a bit worried about doing things on our own. We usually like to take a tour on the first day in a new city. Probably will try one of the excursions in Santorini and Athens. Still researching!

• 4 weeks later...
If you are willing to walk a little it would be best to take the train to Athens. The worst way to approach the city is by road, both from scenery and time. The train station is easy to find. Turn left when you come out of the port and keep the sea to you left. Eventually (maybe 1 mile, but there are busses), you will come across an foot bridge over the road. Take that, and the station is just there. It is cheap and quick to get right to the heart of Athens. We got off right at the Acropolis, but I can't remember the station name. Enjoy!

Hi i will be doing same trip on11May. The train station stop is Monastiraki. i have been to athens many times and am a bit familiar. You can walk to acropolis fron "the back" via the plaka. It is also close to the Agora which is another historical site. Also Monastiraki leads to ermou street which is the main shopping street and goes all the way to Syntigma square and the parlament building. hope above helps you plan

Thank you. I am a bit worried about doing things on our own. We usually like to take a tour on the first day in a new city. Probably will try one of the excursions in Santorini and Athens. Still researching!

Hi i was reading that Bari sops are closed on Monday morningsand they open at 4pm. We are hoping to book the cruise organised tour to Alberobello and see the Trulli

NJ French and Becci ... MSC stops at Corfu are usually about 6 hours.

I would not bother with Gouvia unless it is small boats you want to see, there is very little there apart from the Marina and the old Venetian boatyard ruins which basically comprise of some archways. The beach is not so good.

A 15 to 20 minute walk from the port is the Old Fortress which overlooks Corfu town and the port, this is worth the entrance fee which was just 2 Euros and there are great views of Corfu from the top. From here it is a short walk of a minute or two into town.

The New Fortress on the other side of town is not worth the entrance fee.

The Liston which is near the New Fort is quite expensive for drinks and food, in days gone by you could not eat or drink here unless you had your name on the List! ie Liston.

The Achillion Palace is worth the trip if they have a tour going there which at some point will pass the remains of the Kaisers bridge that was built so the Kaiser could get to his Royal yacht without crossing the road.

Paleokastritsa or Paleo is another place where there may be trips, here there is a nice beach although small and a Monestary, it is also possible the trip will include a place called BellaVista which is up above Paleo and has Fantastic views down to Paleo and beyond. If you feel up to driving yourself cars can be hired at the port, it will take around 30 minutes to get to Paleo and once out of the port getting there is very easy.

In the Old port which is a little farther on than the Old Fort along the main road there is a Glass bottom boat that takes you out to a small island where they have a sea lion show.

Any Island tours will only do part of the Island due to the lack of time in port.

There are a number of museums and Churches in town as well as the usual tourist and real shops.

If you need any further info on Corfu my mail add is below.

Edited by sidari