LIVE forn the JEWEL of the SEAS, Lots of Pictures, Island reviews and more!

MDSue

IMG_9678_zpsb48f8a63.jpg

Caribelle Batiks

IMG_9679_zps23dd55f8.jpg

When we arrived, we were about the only people in the building. The lady offered to give us a private tour. She explained the process of batik making:

IMG_9684_zps977c5c27.jpg

Our timing was perfect because right after our private demo, a large group of tourist arrived. There was only one other cruise ship in port- the Carnival Valor. Since Royal Caribbean didn't offer a tour here, I'm guessing the crowd was from that ship.

Soon, the building was bustling with customers. My sister and I picked out a few pieces of batik that was sold as scrap by the yard. I got a big enough piece to make myself a sundress, and my sister bought additional pieces she is going to use to make a quilt.

They also had clothing items, and other batik products as well as other colorful items not made on site.

Next, our driver took us to a wood-carving studio named Eudovic's Art studio. Here, local artisans make hand-carved sculptures and pictures.

IMG_9694_zpse72062f8.jpg

They had some pieces I would love to own, but the only thing I purchased here was a hand-carved keychain. I also saw some of their artwork for sake back in the port later on.

Next, a nice overlook with snacks, fresh produce, and locally made edibles for sale- and then onto Marigot Bay. However, the weather is beautiful today and I have some gardening and long-neglected chores to attend too. I'll be back later to con't.

See you soon!

Susan

I would really like to know the names of your first tour operator and the one that you met this time :)- Thanks! Jan

Hi Jan, The tour operator was Cosul's tours which is one of the most highly recommended guides on the island. I don't know the name of the gentleman at the port was holding the Cosul sign, but he hooked us up with a driver named Christopher. He was very pleasant and informative. I really felt like we had hit the jackpot when we ended up on a private tour with one of his guides.

Edited by MDSue

I would really like to know the names of your first tour operator and the one that you met this time :)- Thanks! Jan

I realized I only answered part of your question. The tour guide we used for our all day tour of the island including a stop at the Pitons was Spencer Ambrose tours. We started out with Spencer's brother, Small, who was wonderful.

The funny part of that story was that my sister, who is a lot more paranoid about missing the ship than I am, was worried the whole time we wouldn't make it back to the ship in time because it was such a longer tour that lasted the whole day. She also wanted to buy more batiks from Bagshaw's that still had a store in port.

Our first stop was a banana plantation and then the waterfalls and the volcano before heading to Soufriere to take a boat to Jalousie. The roads are steep, windy, and curvy. At one of the scenic overlooks, I could distinctly smell anti-freeze coming from our van. I had visions of our van overheating, breaking down, and missing the ship (and my sister being able to say "I told you so".) I realize that things can go wrong on any tour, but I have faith in private tour guides to get their customers back to the ship in time. One bad write-up on these boards could spell disaster for the companies that heavily rely on our reviews for their business.

Anyway, we successfully made it to all our stops and Small ended up contacting Spencer who made room for us on his tour. Despite the hiccup with the van, we had a great day.

At the time, the two most recommended guides on these boards were Cosul and Spencer. We chose Spencer and our tablemates did a similar tour with Cosul. Both of us shared our experiences at dinner and all of agreed we had a wonderful experience.

I don't have my St. Lucia pictures on this computer, but I'll try and upload some tonight for one of my old laptops.

Susan

Susan

On the way to Marigot Bay, we stopped at a hillside market with this overlook that overlooks the Bay:

IMG_9698_zpsebb25a23.jpg.

When we arrived at Marigot we found a handful of shops and restaurants, a marina full of boats, and a small boat that carried people back and forth to a small beach and resort across the bay:

IMG_9729_zps84f34fe8.jpg

We stopped in one of the gift stores and found some beautiful pottery made by a local artist. I bought a piece of her pottery on my first visit from a store in the port area that I was hoping to buy another piece from. I was thrilled to find her work here; especially when the salesperson told me they know longer had a shop at the port. I was really glad we chose Marigot Bay to come because I love her pottery. I bought a nice vase before we caught a boat ride over to the other side.

It costs $2 for a round-trip ticket. You can also catch a ride for free on another boat that runs back and forth to the Dolittle Restaurant and Bar if you are going to be making a purchase there. Since we just wanted to go to the beach, we paid the $2 fare.

IMG_9734_zps5d9e82cc.jpg

Edited by MDSue

The little boat that ferries people back and forth:

IMG_9732_zpsb391918b.jpg

We arrived at this little beach where we parked our towels for a few hours. They had chairs for rent, but since we were only stay for a few hours, I decided our towels would be enough.

IMG_9724_zps8bb25e15.jpg

IMG_9726_zps1f2ce1a4.jpg

Marigot Bay Beach con't,

It wasn't a huge beach, but it was a perfect tropical paradise for us.

One local was selling fresh fruit and coconut on the beach. I bought a fresh banana for a snack. Another couple from our ship took a ferry from the port straight to Marigot for a reasonable price (but I'm not sure how she knew about the ferry or where to pick it up at). Other smaller tour boats sailed in with small groups to swim or snorkel, but for the most part, it was a calm, quiet little beach.

IMG_9722_zps71a8acc9.jpg

IMG_9712_zpsc7230ab9.jpg

Some guests from the local resort were also using the beach, too. There were a handful of customers taking the ferry back and forth to Dolittle's Restaurant.

IMG_9720_zps79beb78e.jpg

Marigot Bay continued,

This is the resort that is located at Marigot Bay- called Marigot Beach Club and Dive Resort:

IMG_9715_zpsa87ff096.jpg

The pool at the resort is small and simple, but looked refreshing:

IMG_9717_zpsd29b4377.jpg

They also had a spa on the resort offering various massage services.

The beach had a few booths set up with a small bar that offered drinks, cold beer, and snacks. They also had a small souvenir shop.

Soon our time on the beach came to an end and we traveled back across the bay to meet Chris to take us back to the port.

IMG_9705_zps7871ed0d.jpg

IMG_9702_zps0d582ddf.jpg

Tomorrow, I'll finish up our last day in port and post a few more pictures of the port area and of the ship. If I missed anything or you have any questions let me know.

Susan

I'm very sorry for your loss, and I hope your trip was a good one with visits to family and warm memories! Sometimes I think our elder relatives give us a great gift when they leave us and force us all to slow down and see all the other family members we miss! I've found if they've lived a long, good life, it's a nice legacy to leave all that family behind to visit and remember!

Thank you for posting your St Lucia photos. We've just booked a private tour. I found in this area there is not a very big premium to go private over sharing a van with 10-12. Like you I read all the reviews and found that there are several very well reviewed guide companies and that they offer individual private tours. This is important to us because DH is the photographer, and we like to linger if he is getting shots he likes and we don't shop quite as much as others do. Although, we do enjoy seeing the artisans at work and talking to them about their work, as you did! I'm glad to hear then private tour worked out for you, we chose a differnt equally well reviewed company based on our email contact, the price and their willingness to customize our day to our tastes. Your photos are helping me decide which things to do of many, many cool things to do in St Lucia!;)

I'm very sorry for your loss, and I hope your trip was a good one with visits to family and warm memories! Sometimes I think our elder relatives give us a great gift when they leave us and force us all to slow down and see all the other family members we miss! I've found if they've lived a long, good life, it's a nice legacy to leave all that family behind to visit and remember!

Thank you for posting your St Lucia photos. We've just booked a private tour. I found in this area there is not a very big premium to go private over sharing a van with 10-12. Like you I read all the reviews and found that there are several very well reviewed guide companies and that they offer individual private tours. This is important to us because DH is the photographer, and we like to linger if he is getting shots he likes and we don't shop quite as much as others do. Although, we do enjoy seeing the artisans at work and talking to them about their work, as you did! I'm glad to hear then private tour worked out for you, we chose a differnt equally well reviewed company based on our email contact, the price and their willingness to customize our day to our tastes. Your photos are helping me decide which things to do of many, many cool things to do in St Lucia!;)

Hello and thanks for the kind words. My husband's aunt was like the matriarch of the family because she was the oldest living sister and she led a full, interesting life.

My sister and I both like to spend a lot of time taking pictures. I was on a group tour one time in Barbados and was taking pictures of the heavy wave action. Next thing I knew, everyone else was back on the bus and our guide was walking down to the water looking for me. I was properly scolded as I rushed back onto the bus. (They had a good laugh on me, though).

I love a private tour when possible so we can customize our time. I'm glad you found a good guide also. I've done some excellent group tours as well, but I hate it when I want to stay longer, and we are rushed to leave. Like your photographer husband, I enjoy looking for unique picture opportunities rather than just the typical shot that everyone else has.

Enjoy your trip! I hope to see a review and pictures from you, too.

Susan

MDSue,

Have enjoyed reading your posts and the photos.

I have tried to transfer photos onto this and other similar web sites but without success..

Have tried to follow instruction given by other people but no success. May be because I am a silver surfer

So will you please tell me what you do in easy steps.

I am using a desk top with W8 and have my photos from different cruises in separate files. I can attach photos to emails but not into web sites like this.

My email is amos1939@talktalk.net

Many thanks

MDSue,

Have enjoyed reading your posts and the photos.

I have tried to transfer photos onto this and other similar web sites but without success..

Have tried to follow instruction given by other people but no success. May be because I am a silver surfer

So will you please tell me what you do in easy steps.

I am using a desk top with W8 and have my photos from different cruises in separate files. I can attach photos to emails but not into web sites like this.

My email is amos1939@talktalk.net

Many thanks

Hello, It took me a while to figure out how to transfer photos as well and still do not know how to directly upload photos onto Cruise Critic.

What I do is upload pictures to a photo-hosting site like Photobucket. If you go to their website, you'll first need to create an account which is free. Once your account is created, you'll see an option to upload right in the middle of the page. You can either upload the pictures to "your bucket" which is where they will automatically go if you don't create folders. The other option is to create a named folder. My most recent pictures came from my folder titled "St. Lucia". If you have a lot of pictures like me, it is easier to find the pictures you are looking for in folders. When you click on upload, you should have the option to choose the images you want from your computer. You can either upload one picture at a time or upload multiple images by holding the "ctrl" key down on your computer as you click on each image.

Once you have uploaded the pictures to Photobucket that you want to share, you'll need to click on and open that picture. Then, on the top right hand side of the page, you'll see "Links to Share Pictures". There will be 4 different options to choose from. Choose the bottom "ING" link. You'll need to click on that link until it is highlighted and then right-click your mouse and click on copy.

Once you hit copy, go back to the post where you want to share and right-click again and click "paste". I always keep both windows open and just go back and forth from Photobucket to CruiseCritic.

When you click paste, the link should appear on the page. When you hit reply the image should appear. You can always click on "preview post" to see if that worked.

There may be an easier way (I keep thinking there should be), but that is the only way I know how. I know that there is also the matter of image sizing. So far, when I upload my pictures, they automatically upload to the size you are seeing. I wouldn't worry about image-sizing unless you don't like the size you are seeing. I've seen some pictures that take up a huge amount of space.

Feel free to try and share your images here, or else I know that there is a specific place on Cruise Critic for practicing uploads. If you go to the photography boards, you can probably find help also.

If this doesn't help, let me know and I'll send you an email and try to walk you through it personally.

Susan

MarigotBay Yacht Club and Dolittle's sign:

Marigotinfo_zpsdb0b1a61.jpg

We said goodbye to Marigot Bay and headed back to Castries. On the way back, we stopped at the same overlook and shop that we visited on the way there to pick up some snacks and Mt. Dew, my sift drink of choice that can be hard to find in the Caribbean. We always bring our own supply onboard to tide us over for the trip, but we were running short so I picked up a few extra for the rest of the trip..

Soon, we were back in the traffic of downtown Castries. You should definitely allow a little extra time on the return trip for traffic: This is the Carnival Valor docked in downtown Castries:

DSCN6949_zps9513eaf4.jpg

Do you think I have a shopping problem?????

Souvenirs20140418_115938_zps833f4905.jpg

Every time I cruise, I promise myself I am not going to buy too many souvenirs, but I'm usually a dismal failure. I have a Caribbean room in my house to devote the artwork and other stuff I pick up on my travels.

So when we were dropped off at the port and said goodbye to Christopher, the only thing left I wanted to purchase was a larger bag to carry my stuff home with. I knew the current carry-on bag I brought was not going to hold my burgeoning supply of paintings, prints, linens, pottery, jewelry, and other items.

We saw plenty of bags, but nothing quite big enough, until one of the very last shops where I found the beautiful bag shown in the picture with all my other stuff. My husband just shakes his head as I struggle out of the airport lugging a suitcase and bags bulging at the seams.

Really, the airlines allow each passenger to have one carry-on and a "personal item". I think we kind of stretch the definition of a personal item when I'm carrying on a huge bag, but as long as it fits under the seat, the airlines allow it. I crossed my fingers they would let me on with it.

Luckily, I was seated in the emergency exit row which has extra legroom and I managed to fit the bag underneath.

Nest year, I'll do better!

Edited by MDSue

Soon, we were back onboard the ship and getting ready to say goodbye to our very last port; always a bittersweet day. We had visited 5 wonderful islands and had near perfect weather every single day. We only a few sprinkles of rain at Marigot Bay that lasted barely five minutes.

We sat on our balcony to enjoy the view before our departure:

IMG_9742_zps8371a882.jpg

In the distance, I noticed a tree that appeared to be full of large white blooms in the distance. As I looked closer at the tree, I realized the large white blooms were actually birds. I could see them flying in and out of the trees:

IMG_9744_zpsec296962.jpg

IMG_9746_zps6a7cb403.jpg

IMG_9748_zpsad182fdb.jpg

Well, the time has come to say a quick goodbye and thank everyone who followed along. I love to share my adventures with others; especially for the cruising "newbies" who have no idea what to do on the islands. I think even the most experienced cruisers like to look for new places to go and sights to see.

Now, it's time to start planning my next adventure. For the first time in 8 years, we probably won't be doing a spring break cruise next year. I've retired from the school system and can cruise whatever week I want and my daughter is getting married next June. Maybe, we will finally get to Alaska or Europe next summer. The possibilities are endless.

Thanks to all who posted and those who just followed along. See you next year and on the boards in the meantime. (I'll still check in from time to time though)

Susan

Sailing away from St, Lucia:

IMG_9769_zps0bfe169e.jpg

Some of the specialty drinks . We love the Wildberry Lava Flows:

DSCN7127_zps506bcee4.jpg

The hidden sculptures- hope you find them:

DSC08292_zpsda5a077d.jpg

And me, looking down to the atrium from the Crown and Anchor Club. If you are brave enough, it's a great place to get a shot at night of the beautiful colors and lights below:

DSCN7116_zps6346299b.jpg

Susan

Edited by MDSue

Thank you Susan for such a detailed review. We are doing this trip in November, you've answered many questions and provided great photos as well. Enjoy your retirement and the upcoming wedding of your daughter.

Karen.

Thanks Karen, I'm looking forward to cruising other than on spring break which is pricier than other weeks, but we've always had such good weather, I'm sure we'll still be cruising in the springtime again after the wedding:)

Fantastic review Susan and very helpful. Loved your excellent photos and narrative.

We are taking the Pacific Coast cruise on Jewel next fall and also looking at a 2016cruise to some of the islands you visited. much as I have enjoyed Celebrity, RCCL has better itineraries and pricing!! (How many times can you do the eastern Caribbean route after all. ).

Edited by librarylady19