LIVE forn the JEWEL of the SEAS, Lots of Pictures, Island reviews and more!

MDSue

Back to St. John.

We decided to head to Cinnamon Bay which turned out to be a camping area also. We took an open-air cab that costs $8 round-trip. We got a ticket for the return trip. Trunk Bay was the first and probably most popular stop and we considered going there because of the popular snorkel trails. We thought it might be crowded though, so we decided to try another beach that a friend recommended.

Here is a shot of Trunk Bay from the taxi:

IMG_9332_zps1cc627f4.jpg

It didn't look too crowded and there were only one or two ships in port that day (we were the only one at Havensight and I'm not sure whether Crown Bay had a ship).

This was the taxi:

IMG_9338_zpsd9d10f3c.jpg

The taxi dropped us off near the top of the entrance where there was a snack and small souvenir shop. We walked down the path to the beach and passed some restrooms and changing areas along the way. When we got to the beach we rented a chair for me. They did not have any loungers available, but I got a high-back beach chair which was fine. I don't think they had umbrellas, but we found a spot in the shade under some trees but close to the beach:

DSC08234_zps73d3e2ea.jpg

We had planned on snorkeling, but the current was a little strong that day and the water was chilly. I didn't bring my flippers with me but we needed them that day. It was quite nice for swimming though and some people were snorkeling. There was a small island a little bit off the beach where most of the snorkelers were. I had heard the best snorkeling was near the end of the beach on the right, but I didn't feel like walking that far. We decided to just swim and hang-out instead.

More pictures of Cinnamon Bay Beach:

One of these days, I'm determined to try SUP or Stand-Up Paddleboarding. I see more and more people doing it and rentals are available on most beaches now. The had a surf shop on the beach that had all sorts of rentals available.

DSC08236_zps59445c6e.jpg

IMG_9343_zpsdf134f87.jpg

DSC08241_zpsab1143ae.jpg

Sorry to interrupt your review, but I just have to say that your review is AWESOME on many levels. First, because we are also cruisers from suburban MD (ok, that may not be the number one reason but I'm happy to relate on that level). Second, because we leave THIS Wednesday for San Juan and the ship leaves on Saturday so your review is great timing when very few lately have done a Jewel review. Third, because we can totally relate to your photos and previous cruise and the one yet to come in the very near future. Fourth, because you are giving us information not previously known. So...very much appreciate your review in spite of your computer issues and thank you very much for your diligence and taking the time to share!

When we were ready to head back to Cruz Bay, we took our chair back to the little shop on the beach only to find that the employee had closed for lunch. Since we had to get back, we ended up having to lug the chairs back up to the top of the hill where the pick up area was to turn them in. I had to put a $25 deposit on my credit card and wanted to make sure I didn't get charged.

There were two cabs waiting, but they like to get enough people onboard before they make the return trip. Another two couples were also ready to head back and we rode the cab back into Cruz Bay. The taxi driver probably had no idea we were on a ship excursion and took us to the main drop off area. We must have driven right by our drop-off area, but didn't notice.

Since we had a little time, we wanted to shop a little and have a cold drink. After browsing through a few shops, we stopped for an ice-cold frozen drink with a view of the port. We thought our return boat would be pulling up at the dock on the right.

IMG_9361_zpsf53b6cd9.jpg

This was the bar we enjoyed our drinks:

IMG_9356_zps5df81a80.jpg

They had a nice little park and some more stores across from the waterfront"

IMG_9353_zps0763019a.jpg

Sorry to interrupt your review, but I just have to say that your review is AWESOME on many levels. First, because we are also cruisers from suburban MD (ok, that may not be the number one reason but I'm happy to relate on that level). Second, because we leave THIS Wednesday for San Juan and the ship leaves on Saturday so your review is great timing when very few lately have done a Jewel review. Third, because we can totally relate to your photos and previous cruise and the one yet to come in the very near future. Fourth, because you are giving us information not previously known. So...very much appreciate your review in spite of your computer issues and thank you very much for your diligence and taking the time to share!

Thanks so much! It's nice to know the review is appreciated, because it does take a ton of time and effort, but I do I enjoy writing them.

I hope you have a great time on your cruise. You will have a great time!

(p.s. I'm from Western Montgomery County, about 25 minutes west of DC)

Happy cruising!

Susan

We were really enjoying our time in Cruz Bay until the slow realization that no one from our excursion was anywhere in sight and it was almost time to head back. Our boat was not in sight either.

It was a sheer miracle that the taxi dispatcher finally and reluctantly informed me that there was another area for boats down the street and around the bend. We were like the pier runners running to catch a departing ship when we came rushing around the corner to the stares of all the other dutiful cruisers who managed to find the right dock and were onboard waiting for the two sisters who were MIA.

The crew was very understanding and laughed off our misadventure. Despite their earlier warnings that the boat departed at 3pm sharp, I'd like to think they'd have come looking for us. Another couple who went to and from Cinnamon Bay with us figured where we were since they had been dropped off at the same area.

Anyway, with 4 minutes to spare, we were back onboard our return ride to the ship. The crew was keeping us entertained and kept the painkillers coming:

IMG_9365_zps0cba4ded.jpg

Soon we were back at our pier in Havensight and headed back to the ship where my sister proceeded to sleep off the painkillers and beg off the first formal night. We usually go to dinner every night, but it was kind of nice to just take it easy after at that point 4 busy days in a row.

There is no way we want to miss any island time, but we tend to miss the shows and other nighttime entertainment because we are exhausted after a full day on shore.

Our second stop was St. Croix; our first visit to this island. We decided to make St. Croix a beach and explore day. The dock area of Fredrikstad had quite a few vendors set up; many a little higher end than some of the typical cruise ports. We chatted with many Americans who left the mainland many years ago and made St. Croix their home. We met a couple who were selling some books they authored, a woman who made pretty ornaments with sea glass she finds on the beach. and another gentleman who made wooden pens, wine-bottle stops with built in corkscrews, and other hand-carved items.

Here's another view of the ship docked in Fredrikstad. Tomorrow a photo review of the port area and Rainbow Beach.

IMG_9412_zpsc0bf9b78.jpg

great, thanks! We are considering the southern Caribbean itinerary for this summer and I am really hoping the nursery is a bit larger than on the Liberty

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I love the Southern Caribbean itinerary and I love to depart from San Juan because you are so close to all the islands. If you take a cruise from Florida to the Southern Caribbean, then you should consider a 10 day cruise. The summer is slow season for the islands. Some of the islands only get one ship per week, if any.

Since my kids are grown, I didn't check out the children's facilities. The Jewel is a smaller-sized ship so I'm not sure if the nursery would be any bigger. Maybe, you could check out the ship plans to get a better idea.

Susan

I've got two, but I'm not from MD;). The first one linked in my signature is Western Caribbean and from over 2 yeas ago- but the Jewel Southern Caribbean is from last November. I've got loads of my DHs photos, Compasses and lists of what's in the menu each night. If you haven't seen it yet, you might have time to read it all before you leave:p I'm only interrupting Sues review because I know sometimes reviews are hard to find once they are "over". I really wish CC would have a set of threads, like they do for Roll Calls, where you could search out recent photo reviews by ship...I know they have the written one post reviews in another section, but I don't find those as helpful as these kinds! That's my wish!

Enjoy your cruise! And by the way- I agree, MDSUES review is awesome!

Edited by Familygoboston

I loved your Jewel review and totally agree that there should be a photo review section - they are so much more interesting and extensive than the text reviews. having done several myself, I know how much hard work goes into them too!!!

sorry to interrupt your excellent review, Sue.

Edited by librarylady19

I've got two, but I'm not from MD;). The first one linked in my signature is Western Caribbean and from over 2 yeas ago- but the Jewel Southern Caribbean is from last November. I've got loads of my DHs photos, Compasses and lists of what's in the menu each night. If you haven't seen it yet, you might have time to read it all before you leave:p I'm only interrupting Sues review because I know sometimes reviews are hard to find once they are "over". I really wish CC would have a set of threads, like they do for Roll Calls, where you could search out recent photo reviews by ship...I know they have the written one post reviews in another section, but I don't find those as helpful as these kinds! That's my wish!

Interruptions welcome and appreciated. It really helps to get info and perspective from others who have been on the ship. I've been trying to get to the compasses from our trip, but really have not had time, so I'm glad that you included them in your review.

So, thanks for chipping in:)

Susan

I loved your Jewel review and totally agree that there should be a photo review section - they are so much more interesting and extensive than the text reviews. having done several myself, I know how much hard work goes into them too!!!

sorry to interrupt your excellent review, Sue.

Thanks- no apologies needed. Interruptions make the review better!

Susan

We love having a balcony so we can watch the ships sail in and out of port from the comfort of our room.

IMG_9308_zpsf5f7fc3f.jpg

IMG_9309_zps09209e50.jpg

Good gravy ... it looks like you either had our cabin, or one close to it! Many of my pictures have this persective, but aren't nearly as nice ... what camera do you have?

Still loving your review ... and yeah, stop apologing, will ya? :D

Sue D

Good gravy ... it looks like you either had our cabin, or one close to it! Many of my pictures have this persective, but aren't nearly as nice ... what camera do you have?

Still loving your review ... and yeah, stop apologing, will ya? :D

Sue D

Thanks Sue! My main camera is a Canon T2i with a 18-135mm lens. I also use a 70-300 mm Canon lens as well. I have a waterproof Sony TX10 camera that I use for some of the beach shots or snorkel pictures. I didn't end up snorkeling at all this year, though and was brave enough to take my good camera to every beach. Usually, I just take the Sony to the beaches.

I think our cabin number was 9558. It had a nice large sofa in it and an extended balcony which was nice. It would have been big enough for a lounge chair or two, but it only had a table and two regular chairs. It would have been nice to have something to put my feet up with, but otherwise, we were very happy with the room, the view, and the balcony. It also had a very nice overhang which should have protected us from any rain (Luckily, we didn't have but about 2 drops of rain the entire 10 days).

Originally, we were on the 8th floor, but when I found a price drop shortly before departure, I called and asked for an upgrade (and got it). That's one of the nice things about CC is learning about price drop policies. Otherwise, I'd have never known to ask. A few years ago, they would actually refund the difference if the price went down, but that doesn't happen anymore. We were happy to get an upgrade even though we had to take a starboard side room. We usually book port side, because we like to have a view of the pier when we dock. It's pretty much hit or miss which way the ship is going to dock though, so we had good views much of the time.

Edited by MDSue

Once we were docked, we walked off the pier and into the heart of Fredrikstad. There is a beach within easy walking distance of the ship, but we had read good reviews about Rainbow Beach and decided to head there after a little shopping and picture taking:

This is a view of the closest beach from the ship:

IMG_9373_zpscb773bc4.jpg

This is the walkway off the dock and into town:

IMG_9445_zps36bffa51.jpg

And pricing for various taxi fares and tours:

IMG_9444_zps8644e83f.jpg

Edited by MDSue

The typical tourist booths located in town- we met quite a few local artists selling their handcrafted items in addition to the typical t-shirts and knick-knacks.

IMG_9377_zpsd18c28f2.jpg

We enjoyed meeting Barbara and bought a few items from her:

IMG_9379_zpsd7b52aff.jpg

I didn't buy this, but really wanted too. The lady had lots of neat yard decorations. If I thought I would have had room in my suitcase I would have brought one home:

IMG_9386_zps479b3967.jpg

Besides the booths along the waterfront, and plenty of benches here and there is you just want to sit and take in the scenery, Fredrickstad has a fort to the left and historic buildings housing a variety of buildings. Some were just opening or opened a little while after we arrived.

One of the buildings I really enjoyed was:

IMG_9411_zps608063ca.jpg

Inside were works from local artists and even school children. They had a small museum upstairs and we were free to walk through the building and into the backyard to take pictures.

The back porch:

IMG_9403_zps8031b737.jpg

A house behind the museum:

IMG_9405_zps2f12c313.jpg

The upstairs of the museum had pictures and background information on prominent historical people from St. Croix.

This dress was on display upstairs:

IMG_9402_zpsdc544d1a.jpg

The main street at Fredrikstad's waterfront:

IMG_9410_zpscab5bcd5.jpg

And one of the waterfront to the right of the ship. The local beach was on the left:

IMG_9401_zpsaa09562f.jpg

Taxis are readily available at the waterfront inside the secure area of the port. They are vans that hold multiple passengers. When we were ready to head to the beach, we just walked back to the taxi stand and were quickly loaded into a cab that was headed to the beaches. We paid $6 round-trip and had no problem getting a cab for the return trip.

Rainbow Beach had everything one needs for a perfect beach day; rentals, a waterfront bar/restaurant, chicken roasting on a grill, and a nice beach. You could see the ship in the distance.

Later in the day, the music started up. We didn't see a band, so the music was coming from the loudspeakers. It wasn't overbearing at all.

Our little spot on the beach:

IMG_9437_zps30dd43e9.jpg

The rental shack and outdoor restaurant:

IMG_9430_zps22874209.jpg

A view of the beach:

IMG_9429_zps401073ee.jpg

:)Oh trust me, Familygoboston...over the last several months I've read our review MULTIPLE times!!!! :) Many thanks as it's satisfied my review appetite for many weeks! :)

This chicken had my mouth watering, but you had to order it by the half-chicken. There was no way I could eat that much so I settled for a BLT, some delicious onion rings, and a nice frozen drink instead. The food was quite good.

IMG_9431_zps9ff3cd49.jpg

IMG_9440_zps03a97e02.jpg

Our ship in the background:

IMG_9427_zpsac461701.jpg

Another view of the ship in the background of Rainbow Beach:

IMG_9421_zps54eb9d69.jpg

As for ship tours, I'd have to say we got the much better deal. I'm not sure exactly what the catamaran excursion included, but from what I could tell they motored over to the beach with nary a sail raised. It always bothered me when a catamaran excursion is offered and they don't even actually sail. That's half the fun.

The group pulled up to the beach after we arrived and the passengers had to jump off into the water and wade up to the beach. I don't even think they stayed an hour before it was time for them to motor on back to the ship. They had to sit on their towels because it wouldn't have been worth the money to rent a chair for such a short time period.

For $6 a piece and the cost of rental chairs and an umbrella, I'd say saved a whole heap of money, and had as long as we wanted at the beach. The excursion listed on the RCI website describes the excursion as a one hour sail past a bird and turtle sanctuary, rum punches, and soft drinks- a cost of $79 for a 3 1/2 hour excursion. St. Croix is definitely an easy, economical, and safe island for do-it-yourselfers.

This is the boat that delivered the excursion to and from the beach:

IMG_9425_zps3576216d.jpg