St Thomas beach options with new cruiser

MRSRN

Hello fellow cruisers! I have been to St Thomas 3 times. I've visited Sapphire beach, Magens Bay, and Trunk Bay on St John. This time, my sister, father, and 5 year old niece are accompanying my husband and I. They are first time cruisers.

I was keen on Sapphire beach, but through trip advisor I've read that the dive shop has closed, and so have the bathrooms: with a 5 year old that marks that one off the list.

Trunk bay was awesome, but the taxi to the ferry, then another taxi to the beach, then the same thing all the way back … its just too much traveling for them.

I suppose Magens could be ok, but really, I wasn't impressed. Does anyone know anything about Coki, Secret Harbour or Honeymoon bay. I need a beach with a bathroom, food, preferably within 30 minutes to haven sight, and I would love to be able to snorkel (wow, I sound like a DIVA!)

Thank ya!

Hello fellow cruisers! I have been to St Thomas 3 times. I've visited Sapphire beach, Magens Bay, and Trunk Bay on St John. This time, my sister, father, and 5 year old niece are accompanying my husband and I. They are first time cruisers.

I was keen on Sapphire beach, but through trip advisor I've read that the dive shop has closed, and so have the bathrooms: with a 5 year old that marks that one off the list.

Trunk bay was awesome, but the taxi to the ferry, then another taxi to the beach, then the same thing all the way back … its just too much traveling for them.

I suppose Magens could be ok, but really, I wasn't impressed. Does anyone know anything about Coki, Secret Harbour or Honeymoon bay. I need a beach with a bathroom, food, preferably within 30 minutes to haven sight, and I would love to be able to snorkel (wow, I sound like a DIVA!)

Thank ya!

Don't know anything about Coki, Secret Harbour or Honeymoon bay.

For the first time cruisers, I would suggest a tour of the island. Even though you have been there 3X, think back to the first time you were in St. Thomas. An island tour shouldn't take more than 2 hours. There are stops along the way that have restrooms and drinks for the little one. The ride going up to, and at the Mountain Top, has some beautiful scenery.

Another idea would be Emerald Beach, which is part of the Best Western Hotel. Nothing like Truck Bay with turquoise blue water, but still nice, clean and calm.

They have chair rentals, we weren't charge, shade if needed, food, drinks ,wi-fi and restroom facilities. You have to walk though the lobby of the Best Western Emerald Beach Resort to get to the beach. Their pool is for hotel guests only. We enjoyed our time there, food was good at the beach bar and would do it again.

Taxi cost from Havensight to Emerald Beach was $7 pp, travel time about 15 mins. There are taxis in the parking lot to take you back to Havensight.

Hi Aimee,

You'll be very pleased with Secret Harbor. Nice, calm bay with good snorkeling. SH is home to the Secret Harbour condo resort and you'll find a dive shop renting snorkel gear and chairs, as well as a nice restaurant right on property.

Sapphire is always our first recommendation, and if you're able to get by with a towel in the sand under one of the many seagrape trees you're rewarded with paradise. But with a 5 yr old you need amenities like restrooms and SH is the second nicest beach offering amenities on STT.

Lindbergh Bay is not bad and is home to the Best Western Emerald Resort where you can also rent chairs and even rent a room for the day if you want access to showers and their swimming pool. But no snorkeling to speak of at Lindbergh.

If you decide on SH try to get there early as they have a limited number of chairs for rent. Also there's usually no shade there for day visitors unless you can get an umbrella so take that into account.

Taxi to SH is $8 - 10 pp each way and 20 - 25 minutes from Havensight.

Have a great day! :)

Edited by blue_water

Coki is also in a small bay and has a much busier vibe but offers snorkeling and rentals and food/drink options. Gorgeous beach, just a livelier experience.

Honeymoon beach gets very busy as well according to folks who frequent that beach on Water Island.

Awesome, thanks! I was a bit confused about Lindberg and Emerald. I wasn't sure if they were the same place.. even after trying to look them up. I found a great web site that plainly lists beaches with amenities. Thanks for narrowing it down guys :)

Aimee

Just returned from St Thomas and Coki Beach last weekend and had a great time at Coki. Taxi ride about $7 per person and about 30 minutes to beach. 2 loungers with an umbrella for $15 to $20 (dicker on price) Food and drink vendors walking the beach all day long. Great snorkeling both sides of the pristine sandy beach. Water crystal clear with an abundance of hungry fish willing to follow you around as long as feed them pretzels or crushed crackers. Great aquarium to visit( at an extra fee). And best for kids a gentle slope int the water and smalish waves that don't beat you up. GREAT PLACE.

Ps. Bathrooms were clean and outside showers to rinse off

Thank ya!

Secret Harbor is a must!!!!! The water is calm as can be and turquoise. There are chair rentals, a great and affordable beach side restaurant and snorkeling is not far from the shore. The views are spectacular. We have been to STT many times before and everytime is like my first time because of the new places to go!! Have Fun!!