Missed the Medal for Castaway Cay 5K!

Frogger22

When I did it last year, the crew members who led us to the race site where waiting for us at the finish line to hand out the medals.

For me, it was a brutal race because of the humidity. I've run marathons less harsh then that:p

From what I remember, there was a posting about it in the activity sheet the night before we were to arrive at Castaway Cay. We then showed up at one of the ship's clubs the next morning around 7am or so and walked off to the starting line as a group on the island. There really wasn't a sign up.

things may have changed since.

what time of day is the race and do you sign up for it on the boat.

It is early in the morning, as soon as the ship is cleared by Bahamian customs to allow PAX to go ashore.

And please do not call it a boat ;)

It's a ship, the master of the ship doesn't like it called a boat either, and you should be proud to be sailing on a ship rather than just a boat too! lol!

ex techie

Just wondering - when did you get the medal? After the race? In your stateroom? My friend and I did the 5K last Tuesday at Castaway Cay and did not receive a medal :( It was really fun though!

OP, did they take your or your friends Stateroom number before the race?

ex techie

My friend and I signed up at guest services and gave our stateroom numbers. We were given our race number bib and told to meet at 8:15 am in the district. People who came to district that morning also had no trouble registering. We left boat around 8:40 am after clearing customs. Then walked to pelican plunge stop where race started around 9am. It was humid but good breeze. Lots of water but no medals! We were swimming with the kids by 9:45! Oh and you have to be 10 yrs old to officially register to run but a loophole is that Disney cannot prevent the child from running with you. Also if you have young kids they will open scuttles cove early for you and you drop them off on the way!

I recently read on another board that they are no longer giving out medals. Only certificates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wonder when they stopped. They did have the medals this past January (specifically 1/24/14).

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

We just did the 5k yesterday. The medals were handed out by a cast member who was standing just beyond the finish line. It was clearly told to us prior to the beginning of the race to find a specific cast member after finishing to receive our medal. If you finished after 1 hour, we were told to go to one of the shops to claim it.

Maybe they ran out on the Dream. I was on the April 6 Dream sailing too, but didn't participate. There have been reports that they were phasing them out, but maybe they weren't valid. The reports I saw came from CMs, but nothing official from DCL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was on the 3/29 Fantasy sailing. I registered for the 5K at the port adventures desk one evening. It took about 30 seconds and I was given a ticket just like the adventures that cost $.

We were told that we set a record for the most 5K runners (260+). We were given our medals as we crossed the finish line (as discussed in the pre-run meet before disembarking for the run). I dont know if they ran out, I wan't last but Probably near the back of the pack. We were also able to purchase the tshirt at the shop next to the finish line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well I know my daughter wasn't last that's for sure or close to!

She ran all 4 days of the 'Dopey challenge' this past Jan so this was a piece if cake - Disney should have however many medals as people registered for the run! She's running 'Expeditipn Everest' next month lets hope they're better prepared. :rolleyes:

Well I know my daughter wasn't last that's for sure or close to!

She ran all 4 days of the 'Dopey challenge' this past Jan so this was a piece if cake - Disney should have however many medals as people registered for the run! She's running 'Expeditipn Everest' next month lets hope they're better prepared. :rolleyes:

Did you ask GS to send your DD a medal afterwards?

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

They asked GS ..they said there was nothing they could do and turns out none of the runners got medals that day - they said there was a supplier issue.

I'm a TA ..I'm taking it from here with our rep and will see if I can get them perhaps next week on the Dream.

:confused:

They asked GS ..they said there was nothing they could do and turns out none of the runners got medals that day - they said there was a supplier issue.

I'm a TA ..I'm taking it from here with our rep and will see if I can get them perhaps next week on the Dream.

:confused:

Just checking that GS said they had none left and when asked if they could send one after the cruise, they said they couldn't send one on in the mail?

ex techie

Initially they were told people didn't seem to want the medals, then they were informed there were supplier issues. Many went to GS from what she tells me disgruntled and there seemed to be no recourse or any offer for them to be forwarded...

Edited by Karen Lynn